DIY Open Baffle Full Range Speakers from Wal-Mart . . .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
hi loudandclear,

glad you are having fun
i must agree with you that something is happenig with sensitive midrange area when you have those two fullranges like that, something about having two voice coils physicaly far apart, even working in phase, i actualy decided to simplify the things as well and use only one Lowther on open baffle per side
it can handle less volume, but it sounds better

i suggest that you try to put both fullrange drives facing forward and put a supertweeter in the middle (like MTM, but FTF)
you will be amazed
i had that for a while with Lowthers, but they don't realy need a tweeter

i must say that i can feel the need to have few systems, which i have, each for different purpose, one for sweet soft melismatic listening, one for loud and clear listening (to paraphrase you)

so i have this one system with Lowther fullrange and subwoofer, sweet but not too loud, than a big open baffle system for dynamic and loud, and lately i put together system based on 18" woofer, two midrange horns and one tweeter horn, loud and clear!, very loud and very clear, and dynamic too, (other systems are dynamic too, but nothing beats horns)

sometimes its hard to decide what i prefer
how about you guyes, do you feel the need for few systems?
ed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.