Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

sonido sfr200 in blh

Attachments

• DSC_08.jpg
    DSC_08.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 2,213
These are my mMar-Kel70 milliSize (p10 hifi | Box Library / CSS) speakers that I just finished earlier today. Recycled bamboo flooring biscuit-jointed to create solid boards, milled to 5/8" with a solid dark mahogany baffle. I used the 85% denim lining from CSS as well as some of their input terminals. The drivers are the CSS EL70s. What would some suggestions be for an amp to run these guys? Although I don't have thousands to spend, the knowledge of the better amps out there is also good to have so all suggestions welcome. :)
DSC02287.jpg

DSC02289.jpg

DSC02249.jpg

Kismit! I just completed a P-10 flatpac build of the very same speakers and finished installing the drivers this afternoon....yours are gorgeous...congratulations! This is my second build...I used a cherry stain and polyurethane laquer finish on the flatpac's 1/2" birch plywood. One object lesson learned is that darker stain is less forgiving than natural stain on cabinet seam glue-traces.

The EL-70s I installed went through a few weeks of break-in and so far I've auditioned the finished products with 2 amps: First Watt J2 and LadyDay 300B monoblocks. While I prefer the J2 with Markaudio metal drivers like A10.2 and CHR-70, the EL-70s, like my paper Fostex drivers, seem to go better with the 300bs... I'll try other tube vs. silicone amps to see if the speaker's aparent tube preference holds. I'm very impressed with the bass, lack of shout and overall musicallity of the mMar-Kel70's and would encourage you to try some relatively low-wattage EL-84s or SET 300Bs tube amps.

Mario

Attachments

• mMar-Kel70pic1.jpg
    mMar-Kel70pic1.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 1,890
xpheolix; nice work indeed

As to amps, of course there's a lot of factors in matching power levels and configuration of output stage with any particular driver type/model and enclosure design.

If you're not afraid of building yer own, I'd echo Mario's suggestion for tubes - personally I find that the EL70's appreciate all the extra snap you can give 'em, and am currently running my own dual driver setup with Tubelab Simple PP ( EL84 in pentode) = about 15W .

Thank you! Means a lot from you guys! I am a bit uncertain about constructing my own amps at the moment, but I also did not know much about audio in general before last new years(I do have experience in woodwork though). I have since then dove head first in as much knowledge as I can on the subject and am quick to learn. There is always the next project. :)

Thank you! Means a lot from you guys! I am a bit uncertain about constructing my own amps at the moment, but I also did not know much about audio in general before last new years(I do have experience in woodwork though). I have since then dove head first in as much knowledge as I can on the subject and am quick to learn. There is always the next project. :)

I see a tube amp of some type in your future, and as indicated by my own results, if you follow a good kit design, they just aren't that hard to build. There are lots of kits ( Bottlehead, Decware, Tubelab, TriodeStore etc ) that are almost as easy as the bamboo speakers you just finished, and definitely would put a smile on your ears.

And the last one:

Bob Brines calculated a MLTL for the new SEAS 8 inch driver for me.

I have 4 pcs of this driver and the first pair of speaker is used in a small cottage in the mountains. The setup is simple: Ipod 160 gb with losslless files and a DIY Sure 2050 T-amp with blue ALPS pot. The cottage is without electrisity so the power source is 12 volt solar power panels.

Due to the small space of the cottage i reduced the footprint on the speaker, tuned the port lower and placed the speaker close to the wall. It sounds fantastic. Thank you Bob

(PS, the next pair will be made 100% after your drawings)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: