Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2010, 10:56 PM   #1371
diyAudio Member

>>> The sound is truly full range and clean...

Jim, those look really excellent! Pure pine boxes? They must sing! Good luck taming the rising response. i bought the 1808 so i wouldn't have to deal with that but in the future if i want to build a back horn for them i will wish i had the 1772. These drivers are pretty much truly 'full range' and easy to build boxes for.

>>> the fun factor can be exponentially higher as the physical dimensions and cost of drivers declines!

Chrisb, i can relate! But i wanted to treat myself to something special with the TBs regardless of what better values are out there. I doubt anyone buying them doesn't feel they own something unique to look at and listen to. I really enjoy mine whenever i sit down to listen to them. I feel their flaws are minimal and they let the music thru without a veil some others cast.

Besides, i bought a bunch of things to tinker with today that were much cheaper and hope to derive much pleasure from them too! The plan is to build a ported box!... that's something i haven't done in several years... and i can't wait to be covered in sawdust!
Old 16th December 2010, 11:06 PM   #1372
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOfOakCreek View Post
I was a full range skeptic. After reading posts here and elsewhere evaluating the W8-1772 I decided to give them a try. The sale price at Parts Express was the deal maker for me.

Boy, I am happy I took the plunge on these. I never believed that an 8" FR speaker could have this strong of a top end. The1772 has a rising response all the way to artound 15K! That is astounding performance for an 8" speaker.

I installed these in a 40L (1.4 Cu Ft) enclosure with a 3"D port tube 6" long. They are tuned to about 40hz. Now that I have the port tubes installed I can hear response below 40hz.

Out of the box the speakers are a bit bright. That needs to be addressed. I am in the process of experimenting with BSC circuits. I am also considering notch filter and Zobels suggested by the pros.

The sound is truly full range and clean. maging is impressive. These are expensive drivers, close to $200 each but worth every penny. If you see these at a sale price jump on them!
Is that a water heater or a bass trap?
Old 17th December 2010, 12:03 AM   #1373
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
>>> The sound is truly full range and clean...

Jim, those look really excellent! Pure pine boxes? They must sing! Good luck taming the rising response. i bought the 1808 so i wouldn't have to deal with that but in the future if i want to build a back horn for them i will wish i had the 1772. These drivers are pretty much truly 'full range' and easy to build boxes for.
\

They are made from solid 3/4" Aspen finished with clear Shellac.

I made these for a future SET Tube amp project. The 300B tubes may cure the rising top end on their own. For the time being I drive them with a class D amp. In the mean time they will require some circuitry to tame that strong treble.

I love them.
Old 19th December 2010, 02:01 PM   #1374
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
>>> Pure pine boxes? They must sing!
I may re-cut the boxes with MDF.
Old 19th December 2010, 02:51 PM   #1375
diyAudio Member

Default MDF????

Use the good stuff!
Build with fine voildvfree plywood. It ain't cheap.
But your ears will be happy.
Old 20th December 2010, 02:26 AM   #1376
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Townsend View Post
Use the good stuff!
Build with fine voildvfree plywood. It ain't cheap.
But your ears will be happy.
yeh, let's revisit this issue again
Old 3rd January 2011, 08:09 PM   #1377
diyAudio Member

Just looked through this whole thread, wow! Some really amazing stuff. I've bookmarked a lot so hopefully some of these designs stay active as they're incredible. Really fantastic work all!!
Old 11th January 2011, 09:37 PM   #1378
hebrer is offline hebrer  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Default My first DIY speaker project

Fostex FE127eN in Metronome enclosure
(The dust-cap on the right speaker has been damaged by my little daughter.)

The speakers are paired in my system with a DIY EL-84 tube amp based on Decware Zen, using Electra-Print PSSS output transformers, Mundorf SIO capacitors in interstage and Audio Note tantalum resistors in the signal path. Speaker cables: ClearDay Shotgun. Source: Rotel CD player with TDA1541A DAC, "lampized" (tube output).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Metronome_2.jpg (147.0 KB, 1718 views)
Old 11th January 2011, 09:48 PM   #1379
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebrer View Post
Fostex FE127eN in Metronome enclosure
(The dust-cap on the right speaker has been damaged by my little daughter.)

The speakers are paired in my system with a DIY EL-84 tube amp based on Decware Zen, using Electra-Print PSSS output transformers, Mundorf SIO capacitors in interstage and Audio Note tantalum resistors in the signal path. Speaker cables: ClearDay Shotgun. Source: Rotel CD player with TDA1541A DAC, "lampized" (tube output).

can you tell us more about the amp - is there a project link?
Old 11th January 2011, 10:11 PM   #1380
hebrer is offline hebrer  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris,
The amp was built by my friend first as a clone of Decware Zen (more or less: Audiophile Tube Amps and Tube Gear from DECWARE) and then upgraded using some aspects/parts of Vaughn Audio Carina (Vaughn Audio | Carina EL84 SE).
It is still "in process" - next upgrade will be the plate chokes.
I am afraid, there is no schematic I can give you, but I attach a photo of the inside (part of it anyway, as I do not have the full picture at the moment).
Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foto_1.jpg (344.2 KB, 1662 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!