Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Alpair 10.2eN in "TL-Resonator"

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Cheers, Alex

Alex you do absolutely beautiful work. Do you make the butcher block? I just love this look it beautiful!

I'm listening to: Trust by Graus & Bronzwaer

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata

Thanks Tom! The Block is made of two 1" glued beech wood boards. Thread over here

WOW! I just checked out the thread and I'm even more impressed now than I was before! You are a very talented speaker builder my friend. You should be making and selling those awesome speakers!

I'm listening to: Zebra by Jeanne NewHall

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata

Central Florida Audio Society--SETriodes Group--Space Coast Audio Society---Full-range/Wide-range Drivers---Front & Back-Loaded Horns.

My lastest project. Eminence 12LTA + Visaton TL 16H in a 165l BR tuned to ~20hz. The cabinet is "BBC/Harbeth-style", ie. made lossy and unresonant with 15mm birch ply, heavy-ish bitumen damping and lossy coupling of the baffle to the frame. Structural/decorative paint also offers some damping. 12LTA is slightly modded and is current driven (with step-up transformer and series res).

(DCX2496 is not in use, only the super tweeter has some xo'ing.)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Regards,

Legis

Last edited:
My lastest project. Eminence 12LTA + Visaton TL 16H in a 165l BR tuned to ~20hz. The cabinet is "BBC/Harbeth-style", ie. made lossy and unresonant with 15mm birch ply, heavy-ish bitumen damping and lossy coupling of the baffle to the frame. 12LTA is slightly modded and is current driven (with step-up transformer and series res).

(DCX2496 is not in use, only the super tweeter has some xo'ing.)

Regards,

Legis

Hi Legis!

I'm curious, what make & model are those two amps on the top shelf of the rack in the photo I included?

I'm listening to: Premonition by Paul McCandles

The amps are chinese made ShengYa PSM300 mono blocks.

I actually got them ready today, they sound very nice. Luckily the drivers are already broken in in the previous setup, which was narrow baffles. I have a feeling I wont be doing normal enclosures anymore, except for subs :). Midrange clarity and intelligibility is very good with a lossy cabinet. Bass is tunefull and timbre-accurate. I will be doing some measurements and fine tuning tomorrow and onwards.

May I ask what material and thickness you will employ in future? :D

Birch ply, thickness 10-15mm depending on the cabinet size. With these 165l (un-supported) cabinets the 15mm was good thickness. Too thin walls (compared to the size of the cabinet) will damage the bass dynamics and tend to sound "woody" in general, ie. color the sound by resonating too much. On the other side too thick walls cannot be damped adequately. Still I would err on the too thin side. :) Naturally the best compromize is the thickness that is thin enough to be damped completely but does not sound woody nor affect greatly to the bass dynamics. Harbeth succeeds in this in their smaller monitors IMO, their big monitors like 40.1 tend to sound somewhat woody in my experience.

Interesting reading regarding lossy cabinets vs. thick-wall cabinets, and birch ply vs. MDF: http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/cabinet_walls_e.html

Last edited: