Presenting the Trynergy - a full range tractrix synergy.

..... it appears all that hash and ringing is strictly a function of the bandwidth function of the speakers response. Very interesting.....

Yes that seems the reason see nice little bandpass study below.
All three plots have high pass LR4 320Hz set but first have no low pass bandwidth set so its light speed : ) second and third have 20kHz low pass as BW2 and BW4. For my slow brain these live studies are good to confirm if IR/SR in acoustic domain really should have all that ringing that > 1.order filters usually bring in.

Attachments

• Study.png
    Study.png
    205.1 KB · Views: 344
Yes that seems the reason see nice little bandpass study below.
All three plots have high pass LR4 320Hz set but first have no low pass bandwidth set so its light speed : ) second and third have 20kHz low pass as BW2 and BW4. For my slow brain these live studies are good to confirm if IR/SR in acoustic domain really should have all that ringing that > 1.order filters usually bring in.

Problem I have with DSP are possible the audio output opamps, these need very high quality and better, I can put tube outputs in that dsp, it has proberly also a low pass for filtering digital signals out, but dsp is 24 bit so this is not difficult. Most the opamps in it are bipolair and I only like burr brown allfets.

regards

Wel I have done the mic amp, and can go on.

Why the 6 dB filter did work with me you can read here, the compression chamber on throat is a 6 dB low pass filter, so we need for shure to make it very small, so it is now it will give as much distortion as with a normal box when need so much correction.

regards

kees

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_790 Oct. 10 20.10.jpg
    ScreenHunter_790 Oct. 10 20.10.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 301
This may smooth out all those wiggles?
PlugDesign5.gif

This fase plug design, I ask myself how to implement because I can not put a plug in the throat itself because it need keep the way it is, so I think (see picture) that I ned a extention beyond the throat like in the drawn befor the line I did drawn in .

Or picture two is also a idea you did mention earlyer.

regards

Attachments

• PlugDesign5.gif
    PlugDesign5.gif
    30.9 KB · Views: 292
  • opsodis02.jpg
    opsodis02.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
It is quite here?, oke I have test the mike amp with the open baffle speakers with a TQWT subwoofer 10 inch visaton.

it is quite a good update to use line in with no noise whatsoever. One measured on a other spot in room, see the bass response changing.

Yes it is offtopic but did need to let see the mic performance.

regards

Attachments

• open baffle.jpg
    open baffle.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 133
  • open baffle1.jpg
    open baffle1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 95
Nice OB speakers you tested. They are very flat in response. Looking forward to seeing your progress with the horn soon. When will you add bass injection ports?

I go with the ports if I am ready with the horn throat solution, I go use plastic to made it, I put a extra square baffle and from there I go make it, so I keep the throat dimensions and the horn length intact.

And now a tasty beer, and go flat on the couch watching news, world is more crazy by the day.

regards

For the Overview:
What do i need for one complete Speaker ?
I love these Foam speakers ! I have decided to give it a shot =)
My is english is not so good so did i understand it correct.

The actuall Horn driver is the TC9FD. This Horn goes without woofers from 400hz-20k ?
How bad are the 2 cuts at 6k and 12k ?
Is it possible to use other woofers instead of the 6-1/2" (It"s hard to find these in Germany and shipping is probably more expensiv than the actuall speakers =(.

That is pretty much all right ? The horn is pretty easy to build or do i need some fancy machinery ?
after all the crossover is a miniDSP right ? Do i need one for one speaker or do you use 1 for both ? And are the setting free as well ?

I love these project"s and i am usually to scared to build them, but this i have to !

Best regards
Jannik

Doing this and a small faseplug did up the high..

regards

Looks nice :) a shelf filter could correct the upped highs and system bandwidth HF low cut slope probably better with this small phaseplug, dips have changed now moved to 4,5kHz and 6,5kHz compared to post 600 FR, but okay you have got better microphone setup since that so probably it makes a difference too.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

regards

Can you show photo of the phase plug please? That is good that you don't have a major dip. Although SPL went up above 4.5k, that it makes overall response not flat is not so good. Maybe you were just fine before? Look at phase in response - set gate to something short like 4ms and set mic 0.5m away. If phase is smoother vs no phase plug then a good thing because imaging and transients will be better. Please plot data with at most 10dB per major vertical division.

Nice work!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

regards

For the Overview:
What do i need for one complete Speaker ?
I love these Foam speakers ! I have decided to give it a shot =)
My is english is not so good so did i understand it correct.

The actuall Horn driver is the TC9FD. This Horn goes without woofers from 400hz-20k ?
How bad are the 2 cuts at 6k and 12k ?
Is it possible to use other woofers instead of the 6-1/2" (It"s hard to find these in Germany and shipping is probably more expensiv than the actuall speakers =(.

That is pretty much all right ? The horn is pretty easy to build or do i need some fancy machinery ?
after all the crossover is a miniDSP right ? Do i need one for one speaker or do you use 1 for both ? And are the setting free as well ?

I love these project"s and i am usually to scared to build them, but this i have to !

Best regards
Jannik

Jannik,
Welcome aboard the Trynergy train! I have used TC9FD and 3FE22. I prefer the 3FE22. Kees used FR8 and got a terrific response with no DSP. I would try the FR8 as Kees did and use same passive high pass filter with 6.8uF cap. Yes it will give you 400Hz to 20kHz no woofer as a full range. It will turn the 85dB driver to a 95dB speaker. The high sensitivity means low cone movement and this means ultra low distortion. If you have miniDSP it will let you shape response even more. The foam core construction is easy. Follow the scaled PDF drawing as I specified. I think the drawing is for 5in driver and scale by 0.70x for small 3in driver to achieve 2.0in square throat. The cut plan will "build itself" once you glue it with hot melt. Good luck.

More sens from the bare speaker gives more headroom. Even if the response looked better before the phaseplug, I´d stick with the higher sense version (only if no further problems are introduced with the phaseplug, of course).. Some rise in the frequency can easily be dealt with afterwards with the x-over.
Watch the compression ratio - you shouldn´t run into problems with a small midrange driver, but better check than to fry cones :)

Very nice project !