Karlsonator

That in and of itself isn't all that impressive since a MLTL has no trouble matching it, but I'm guessing the K has less net Vb. A comparison would be interesting though

GM

I agree here. Simulations are fun, but measurements of a reflex or MLTL versus a somewhat equivalent Karlsonator would probably favor the MLTL in terms of extension, but the K'ator would have more output and probably subjective punch in the midbass, with a steeper cutoff underneath because it still is a BP alignement. As GregB mentionned, it's merely a re-balancing of the unavoidable trade-offs to obtain a bit more low-end in exchange for some of the extra gain that we might not be needing with anything but very low Qt drivers.

IG

Anyone put these in round enclosures? Like a cylinder with the wings cut out?

Hold on - we have to define what a "Karlson" is. Wave guide curve, multiple resonant chambers, port between chambers, and I am quite serious in saying, TH (where the back waves comes around to meet the front wave internally** after a properly chosen path length*? Or all of those?

That's the magic of the Karlson - it's a hybrid and needs little stuffing to suppress the inner sounds.

Can't get any of that in a cylinder except the cute curve.

Ben
*and their manner of meeting is engineered in a way TH advocates can only dream about
** BR boxes do the mixing in the room

Last edited:
yes - the original Karlson is a great and unique hybrid. For the experimenter who likes to piddle, the form below might be fun, We know the K-tube can be front loaded as with Karlson's tweeter and that it can work well rear loaded as with Silvercore's Lowther setup - but it can also be driven like Karlson's Ultra-Fidelity series so the speaker is angled back on an oval baffle and fires up the pipe - it would take an appropriate section below the driver to form a back chamber - or just let it sail. This thin-wall mailing tube isn't rigid enough to work at the levels I like. K-builder Carl mentioned some awfully tall pipes.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hold on - we have to define what a "Karlson" is. Wave guide curve, multiple resonant chambers, port between chambers, and I am quite serious in saying, TH (where the back waves comes around to meet the front wave internally** after a properly chosen path length*? Or all of those?

That's the magic of the Karlson - it's a hybrid and needs little stuffing to suppress the inner sounds.

Can't get any of that in a cylinder except the cute curve.

Ben
*and their manner of meeting is engineered in a way TH advocates can only dream about
** BR boxes do the mixing in the room

What is TH?

Hi Greg and guy's. I want to do some questions about this schema:

1) I have 3 K's (2 in 15" +4" and 1 more 12" + 4") using original plans and internal configurations. I see that your project is very different. I am not sure if it is a labyrinth, a horn, a tube, or a mix of them.

2) I want to make 2 of them using car speakers of 5". Do you suggest to use the 6" plans with a smaller speaker, or to make it in 5/6 scale?

Please, see my post about scaling down Karlson's.

Thanks in advance.

some years ago on Job Ulfman's Karlson forum, the late Leander Adams had Skip Magnuson make a K5-T-line- it was something like the Karlsonator - the Polk 5.25" coax I measured had qt ~>1 and high fs, so this type would probably do better than a reflex-driven K with regards to bass. Little K's can be kool.

a car coax might work sealed or aperiodic vented in something a bit smaller than a standard K8. xrk971 can examine the Karlsonator.

I don't know how to analyze the K5-TL - its interesting that the front chamber is the same size as the rear - Moray James heard this cabinet
and commented favorably on its sound

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Greg and guy's. I want to do some questions about this schema:

1) I have 3 K's (2 in 15" +4" and 1 more 12" + 4") using original plans and internal configurations. I see that your project is very different. I am not sure if it is a labyrinth, a horn, a tube, or a mix of them.

2) I want to make 2 of them using car speakers of 5". Do you suggest to use the 6" plans with a smaller speaker, or to make it in 5/6 scale?

Please, see my post about scaling down Karlson's.

Thanks in advance.

Get me some T/S params for your 5 in drivers and I will simulate and optimize a Karlsonator for you. A Karlsonator is a hybrid mass loaded tapered quarter wave transmission-line (ML-TQWT) with an Karlson-coupler on the output "horn".

fwiw I'll have to compare the Qs of BetsyK vs BG20 - probably can guess Vas from Sd, fs and published mms. ASD1001, which was used with Hawthorne's original "Silver Iris" 15cx sounds pretty good - PRV's D280 too but price has increased to around $38 each. I have a Mylar type diaphragm diaphragm B52 driver that's pretty nice on a 109oz magnet Eminence 12cx - those are ~$50ea.

sorry about the wording - I meant the B52 polymide compression driver was $50. Somewhere in my mess there may be a pair of dusty Beta 12CX which you could have if I could get someone to take to ups or usps - IIRC those were out of spec and qts came in around 0.62. for all the help you've done on the K, I'd get ya a new 10cx.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Mystery Driver Sim in Karlsonator

I ran this rather interesting simulation of a driver that has been around for a long time. It is a 3x3 array in a Karlsonator that is scaled up by 14/12 overall and scaled 1.3X for the back chamber volume, and additional 2.3X for the vent (top channel area). So really, a highly modded K'nator... If you look at the frequency response curve for 1 watt at 1 meter, you will see that it is very efficient, the impedance curve shows that it is a nominal 8 ohm speaker as presented to the amplifier and the impedance is all very manageable with low impedance amps, the cone displacement curve shows very little cone motion - 0.4 mm above 50 Hz. The next plot is the impulse response which looks very clean - should have great transient response for drums. Last plot is the freq response at a typical listening position of 3m. Anyhow, I think this is an interesting option for a Karlsonator, and one that has the potential for great HF as it is a 4 in nominal driver. If you have not figured it out by now, and I tell you that all 9 drivers are wired in series. With this info you should have figured out what driver this is. :)

Attachments

• Karlsonator-B1-Freq-1m.png
    Karlsonator-B1-Freq-1m.png
    30 KB · Views: 725
  • Karlsonator-B1-Impedance.png
    Karlsonator-B1-Impedance.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 713
  • Karlsonator-B1-Displ.png
    Karlsonator-B1-Displ.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 710
  • Karlsonator-B1-Impulse.png
    Karlsonator-B1-Impulse.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 703
  • Karlsonator-B1-Freq-3m.png
    Karlsonator-B1-Freq-3m.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Visaton FR10 in 0.6X Scale Karlsonator

I scaled the base Karlsonator as follows: 0.6X overall, 0.7X additional scale by width, 0.7X additional scale for top channel vent. The FR10 is a relatively inexpensive driver and when paired as a double parallel load for 4 ohms, it has a surprisingly flat bass response. The impedance is very nice, as is the cone displacement and impulse function. The cabinet will be circa 18 in high 9 in wide x 10 in deep. This is one KenLBird's favorite drivers - you should build it Ken.

Attachments

• Karlsonator-0.6X-FR10-Displ.png
    Karlsonator-0.6X-FR10-Displ.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Karlsonator-0.6X-FR10-Impedance.png
    Karlsonator-0.6X-FR10-Impedance.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Karlsonator-0.6X-FR10-Freq-3m.png
    Karlsonator-0.6X-FR10-Freq-3m.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Karlsonator-0.6X-FR10-Freq-1m.png
    Karlsonator-0.6X-FR10-Freq-1m.png