A Big'un - the Audio Nirvana Super 15 - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2012, 08:06 AM   #41
DeonC is offline DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Not a labrinth, as the verticle strips are made up of damping material, not solid wood. So it is more like a silencer. The strips are made from something like carpet felt. At least that is my understanding of it.

Enjoy,
Deon
Old 15th August 2012, 08:10 AM   #42
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Would need to be a lot longer to be a labyrinth. It would be called a heavily damped U-Frame in today's nomenclature.

Was patented 4 year sbefore the labyrinth.

dave
Old 15th August 2012, 08:14 AM   #43
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeonC View Post
Not a labrinth, as the verticle strips are made up of damping material, not solid wood. So it is more like a silencer. The strips are made from something like carpet felt. At least that is my understanding of it.
Exactly. Today you'd use Ultratouch (as Gary Pimm does), or fiberglass insulation.

dave
Old 15th August 2012, 09:47 AM   #44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
although its motor is small/weak, you could put it into a Karlson enclosure from K15 to K18 size. Coat the front chamber well with varnish, etc. and enjoy.
What are the optimum parameters for the Karlson?
Old 15th August 2012, 07:07 PM   #45
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post

the floors in my house use wooden i-beams, very stiff (much better than my last house that used regular joists) and lightweight (photo) and much more practical than using thicker and thicker floor boards.
Do know that Tannoy DMT II's Twin 15's, use a Medium sized BR 'Box' comprised of a double layer of 1" MDF stuck together with some rubbery /absorbant adhesive. Box within a box setup. Also have crossed internal Driver bracings.
Seriously heavy but it clearly works.
My listening experiences with these... genuinely Impressed.
The Bass is simply astounding. deep, clear and sharp. (Ferrite Motors= sharp bass) It's more than palpable.
Marvelous midrange and exquisite highs. Very little about those to criticize.. albeit only IF the upstream sources are capable :-).

Find and emulate their constructions? One could do a lot worse for a startpoint. Google is our friend.

Ohh by the way: Truss joists, those things in your Photo.. are BAD for turning floors into drum skins.. true.
Even the 1 1/2" concrete topping typicaly poured over, only partially deals with the problem.
Often New isn't always improved .
Old 15th August 2012, 07:49 PM   #46
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

for a Karlson and fullrange, low moving mass, some on-axis rise and qts not much higher than 0.5 are good - but I've had some speakers such as guitar speakers and vintage fullrange with Q around 0.7->1 play well without boom---- if the speaker has a "bright" character as a direct radiator it will tend to balance well in a Karlson.

A Karlson will make good use of a fullrange speaker's power by controlling in band and below band cone excursion - to me that's more important than small signal extension and allows better performance on complex passages than reflex.
Old 15th August 2012, 09:02 PM   #47
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Do know that Tannoy DMT II's Twin 15's, use a Medium sized BR 'Box' comprised of a double layer of 1" MDF stuck together with some rubbery /absorbant adhesive. Box within a box setup. Also have crossed internal Driver bracings.
Seriously heavy but it clearly works.
My listening experiences with these... genuinely Impressed.
I like this idea Bare. I am now planning to start the build by constructing the 'inner box' from the 11.5 mm Birch Ply. Then after that, I will add a 2nd box over the top, gluing it on top one sheet at a time, using a viscoelastic glue.

The internet brings up a lot of talk about Green Glue for this purpose. I checked out the MSDS for this material - it's nothing more than Latex glue loaded with chalk (a common practice). So I'll be looking for a much more cost effective option of a generic latex glue from a local store.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 15th August 2012, 09:25 PM   #48
Banned

You can make it yourself
Old 15th August 2012, 09:28 PM   #49
Banned

Quote:
although its motor is small/weak, you could put it into a Karlson enclosure from K15 to K18 size. Coat the front chamber well with varnish, etc. and enjoy.
Quote:
for a Karlson and fullrange, low moving mass, some on-axis rise and qts not much higher than 0.5 are good - but I've had some speakers such as guitar speakers and vintage fullrange with Q around 0.7->1 play well without boom----
Go back to page 1 and look at the spec sheet.
What part of Qts=0.483 is considered weak
Old 15th August 2012, 09:31 PM   #50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
I like this idea Bare. I am now planning to start the build by constructing the 'inner box' from the 11.5 mm Birch Ply. Then after that, I will add a 2nd box over the top, gluing it on top one sheet at a time, using a viscoelastic glue.

The internet brings up a lot of talk about Green Glue for this purpose. I checked out the MSDS for this material - it's nothing more than Latex glue loaded with chalk (a common practice). So I'll be looking for a much more cost effective option of a generic latex glue from a local store.
I thought you didn't want a heavy box. Hahaha
Go for it.

Hide this!Advertise here!