What Amp do you use with your Mark Audio Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I now have four different class D amps: (Notes are powering a pair of A10P's + Goldwood GW1858's in H-frames)

Topping TP-60 -- TA2022
Lepai 7498 -- TDA7498E
Yuan Jing Audio -- TPA3116D
Crown XLS 1500 -- Proprietary chip

I received the S.M.S.L. SA-36A pro amplifier just a couple days ago. This unit comes with a 24 volt adapter and uses the related Texas Instruments TPA-3118 chip. Delivery took about 2 weeks from amazon.com. I won't pretend that this is the end all be all amplifier but for the $55 paid, I am simply amazed. It drives both my Foxtex ff105wk speakers and my Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s just fine.

Driving Markaudio 10p?

Driving my Pensil 10p pair with a Pass F5 clone (see Pass Forum for info). Class A, incredible sound. Also use TDA8920 Class D amp and DIYTube ST35 clone (EL84s). All amps sound fine on most material. For best recordings and female vocal/choir, Pass is the winner. You can build all three of these amps for less than $1K and figure out what you like best.

I have been using an F5, slightly modded for a bit more bass, and it's a rocking good amp! If I was doing it again I would like very much to try the Aleph J.

Currently however I've switched to a gainclone for the extra power, and I would say it's more musically engaging. Peter daniels gainclone is next in line for a build :)

I dug up this old thread because I can finally weigh in (after having read it more than once before taking the Mark Audio plunge).

I'm using a Tubelab SSE w/ KT88s in triode mode (no feedback) to drive my new 12p Super Pensils to very comfortable volumes (knob is typically between 12 and 3 o'clock). Fantastic sound and seems just a hair less efficient than the pair of Klipsch Heresys that used to occupy my floor space (amazing considering the difference in spec'd sensitivity numbers).

Also tried EL34s, but found the tonal balance on the KT88s to be more my liking (amazing the clean and deep bass that these put out).

The DIYaudio store kit of Nelson Pass' ACA is a bargoon AFAIC - I might even borrow it back from Dave if I get a chance

TP3116 has been mentioned several times, and a well executed version is still a damned fine cup of coffee

2A3 is a juicy delight, but perhaps not quite enough at the top end of power curve, and I've yet to hear an EL84- either single ended or P/P - that I didn't like.

Last edited:
I have had a 2A3SE driving 10's in MLTL for the last couple of years. It has been the perfect combination. So much so I haven't built anything new for a while now. I never cease to be amazed at how these drivers can deliver such a wide band of sound with so much dynamics. Deep, taut lows, crisp sparkling highs. And of course mids that only a single driver can produce.

A couple of other amps of note for these are the Aleph3 and the F5( when driven by a tube preamp).

-uv

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I may be minority here but I am powering my A7.3 on a wall mounted MLTL with a very low cost but great sounding class AB TDA7297. $5 amp but sounds fantastic. There are mods available for it like caps and stuff but I find it does quite well stock. With 3.5mm input jack, and standard wall wart jack and higher gain good for being driven by a phone.

Price has now dropped to $2.50ea shipping included! How do they do that? At this price but a hand full to have around for small projects like garage or kitchen speakers. Less than a latte.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32523805626.html

Btw, I also like the TPA3116 and SMSL 36a. Have all those but this amp for first 5 watts power can sound just as good.

Last edited:
quite a long time I listen to the following combo:

CHR 70 + gu32 PP- sounds very nice for my ears.

Attachments

• DSC00380.sized.jpg
    DSC00380.sized.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 287
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.