What Amp do you use with your Mark Audio Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. Just curious about what it is about the Creek that you find so appealing (compared, say, to the Simaudio--which I confess to finding appealing).

I'm also curious as to what other suggestions may have come to you as well (but please know that I'm not sure I have the wherewithal to build a DIY integrated :)).

Just really based on fondness for the performance / value of much earlier very simple Creek designs from the 90s. Before I jumped off that merry -go-round 25 or so years ago, I'd gone through a succession of small "British" integrateds - my last being Linn Intek.

Do you need a phono input, and/or pre - main loop? That's always something I don't mind having. While I've not heard this particular unit, I can never remember an Onkyo "back in the day" I didn't find musical, and after 2 Denons in a row, my current surround receiver is an Onkyo - no complaints other than the complexity of features and user menus that is baked into that class of units.

Onkyo A-9010 Hi-Fi Integrated Amplifier 44 Watts per Channel

While it lacks the pre-main loop, or even speaker selection, it looks to be otherwise rather well packed with features. A lot of guys pay more than $300 (US) for speaker cables and WBT connectors - but of course I'm sure they can hear the improvement with their eyes (and ears) closed.

The Emotiva looks very nice, but I would need more than one input so it probably wouldn't work for me.

I'm selling off some other gear to try and get something decent that I can live with without complaint for a while, so am budgeting around $1,000 Canadian (about $750 American).

I wish the Emotiva A-100 had 2 inputs also because it does seem to be the ultimate full range solid state amplifier. I also have an older SMSL SA-36A pro with the now legendary TPA3118 chip. Its pretty good but the Emotiva is quite a bit better. The Onkyo mentioned above might be good but the Fostex FF105wk drivers I am using do not like SS amplifiers. They tend to sound dry and edgy. The Emotiva A-100 tends to sound more liquid and detailed with a fair amount of dynamic slam. When using full range speakers, solid state amplifiers have to be chosen very carefully because most of them simply don't work. This is why vacuum tubes are so popular on this forum.

I wish the Emotiva A-100 had 2 inputs also because it does seem to be the ultimate full range solid state amplifier. I also have an older SMSL SA-36A pro with the now legendary TPA3118 chip. Its pretty good but the Emotiva is quite a bit better. The Onkyo mentioned above might be good but the Fostex FF105wk drivers I am using do not like SS amplifiers. They tend to sound dry and edgy. The Emotiva A-100 tends to sound more liquid and detailed with a fair amount of dynamic slam. When using full range speakers, solid state amplifiers have to be chosen very carefully because most of them simply don't work. This is why vacuum tubes are so popular on this forum.
Yeah, I'm trying to be careful here for those reasons. I was hoping that some people here might have some experience trying different amplifiers with these kinds of speakers.

I was hoping to get something that would be satisfying sound-wise while at the same time being reliable and trouble-free for a good many years, and ss seems to fit the bill more than most other types. But if they don't match well with the full range drivers then what's the point?

I remain open to suggestions.

Yeah, I'm trying to be careful here for those reasons. I was hoping that some people here might have some experience trying different amplifiers with these kinds of speakers.

I was hoping to get something that would be satisfying sound-wise while at the same time being reliable and trouble-free for a good many years, and ss seems to fit the bill more than most other types. But if they don't match well with the full range drivers then what's the point?

Some SS amps will work but they have to be warm and smooth. Emotiva makes a TA-100 with 3 inputs plus a tuner and a very good DAC for $399. This contains the same amplifier. The one input is Phono. You can always send them back for the cost of shipping within 30 days.

Solid State amps work fine with Mark Audio drivers. Even class D amps sound ok. I use an old Pioneer receiver with MA 6p based speakers for computer/desktop/headphone listening. I'm also currently using Chrisb's Pass ACA's to push my 12p Super Pensils.

Pretty sure I've seen many forum members using SS amps with their MA based speaker systems, just many are DIY builds. So lack of recommendations for commercial amplifiers is no surprise really.

I probably haven't heard a "new" SS integrated amp since the 90's.:eek:

jeff

Solid State amps work fine with Mark Audio drivers. Even class D amps sound ok. I use an old Pioneer receiver with MA 6p based speakers for computer/desktop/headphone listening. I'm also currently using Chrisb's Pass ACA's to push my 12p Super Pensils.

Pretty sure I've seen many forum members using SS amps with their MA based speaker systems, just many are DIY builds. So lack of recommendations for commercial amplifiers is no surprise really.

I probably haven't heard a "new" SS integrated amp since the 90's.:eek:

jeff
Yeah, asking for recommendations for a commercial amplifier on a DIY site is probably not going to produce voluminous results. :p

I will add, however, that most of the vintage Pioneer amps that I've heard have been a bit on the warm side. ;)

I was wondering where the ACA got to - hope you're enjoying them Jeff. That's what you call " a good home"

That T100 does look like a nice piece - although by my lexicon, the inclusion of an FM tuner and power amp stage would make this a receiver .

And not all of us here necessarily care these days to "DIY" an entire system

Last edited:

Firstwatt F6 and a 10 k stepped attenuator as Pre, an extremely simple 'Le Pacific' phono ... works well beyond expectations.
TBH serious overkill on Mark Audios though... as they cannot do the detail or frequency range the electronics deliver (swapping in 'better drivers' makes it glaringly obvious).
That said MA's still sound surprisingly good when fed quality input.

Bare -if your reply was to #254 above, that was actually addressed to Jeff, and I'm probably not alone in disagreeing with your (blanket?) assessment of "Mark Audios" . On both my A12PW/A7.3 MTMs and MAOP7 singles I can certainly hear the difference between a budget Class D and something like TomC's Modulus86 - unless your opinion extends to the latter amps as well?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.