What Amp do you use with your Mark Audio Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm using an SMSL SA-60 TPA 3116 on my FH3 MA 7.3 build. (wow, that's a lot of jargon).

I've also tried these speakers with my 6B4G push-pull amp with an Aikido pre-amp and Creek phono from my Planar 3. I like the TPA setup better, but only because I'm usually listening to bass down to 25hz with my main setup, and the FH3 just can't do that so it
suffers by comparison.

Don't think so. China Post registered air mail then USPS. Going the other way costs $25.

as far as my research goes DHL has the contract using USPS for the final leg.
going the other way must be full of perishable food products I reckon. FWIW China is recently been buying premium American food companies.
that's why its cheap one way!

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Well all the amps I have bought from Aliexpress don't have DHL markings but are covered with a shipping label that says China Post. What does buying premium US food companies have to do with reducing cost of shipping from China to US? I think it's just heavily subsidized by the Chinese Govt - it's just not economically practical to air mail a package with tracking number from China for that little. (Don't forget the $2.50 includes the amp!)

The complete ampboard is sold for $1 check Taobao, so when price is $2.50 incl shipping you pay $1.50 for shipping. That $1.50 probably for a billion chinese is over their hourly income, USA $25 shipping is less expensive for Americans, I guess US govt is subsidizing US shipping heavily.

My primary amp is a Topping TP60 (Tripath TA2022). My other amp is a Yuan Jing TPA3116D2. Pretty much a toss-up and the 3116 is not in the system. (I also have a Crown XLS1500 to power stereo subs, but that's another matter.)

I have at Lepai LP7498E (TDA7498E) and I find this amp noisy, gritty and nasal. Seeing all of the praise heaped on the 7498E chip, I am wondering if the SMSL SA98 might be worth a try.

Bob

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have bought 4 of these TDA7498 and they sound excellent. Just as good as my TPA3116D2 amps. These have a volume knob and round SMPS brick input jack for power so are easy to get running. You need to solder an old RCA cable to the supplied input header pin jack. It's quite amazing what $11 can get you. To get 100w you need a 32v brick which are hard to come by. I use mine with 19v laptop supplies and it works well for up to 35watts.

Online Shop Excellent Quality TDA7498 100W+100W Class D Amplifier Board High Power Amplifier Board Hot Sale Easy To Install|Aliexpress Mobile

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have been thinking about the miniSHARC which allows FIR filters to be used. The upgrade will happen one day - just a matter of time. I have tried a UCA202 DAC with my headphones and it definitely sounds better than the DAC on the laptop. I do realize that better DACs can sound better and now that my speakers are a lot better (high sensitivity, flat response, transient perfect) I can hear more detail and the limits of a recording. Perhaps it will be better with better DACs. Probably yes. The nanoDIGI is a nice choice too if I decide to stick with IIR filters (which have worked quite well for me now that I have discovered the Harsch xo).

I'm hoping to finish a pair of Pensil-styled speakers using Alpair 10p drivers in the spring (when the weather warms up a little here in the Great White North) and am looking for a decent integrated amplifier that might pair well with them. Part of my problem is that I haven't actually heard the speakers yet, but have a chance to pick up one of the following integrated amplifiers in good used condition (and they may not be available by the time I'm finished the speakers), and was wondering if anyone here might have a sense of how the Alpair 10p's might 'system-match' with these integrated amplifiers:

1. Simaudio 250i
2. Jolida Tube (not sure of the model)
3. Creek Evolution 50A
4. Sugden A21a Series II
5. Atoll IN 30

Any comments or suggestions are welcome, as are suggestions for other integrated amps I might consider.

Thanks.

Pensil 10 compatible amp?

I am using a F5 Mosfet amp built with parts available here on DiyAudio. Designed by Nelson Pass, it is a great match for the Pensil. About 25w/channel. But, it is a DIY project.
Have also used the following amps with it and they are fine. Note, I only use CD as a source, and both my players have remotes with variable output levels. No preamp needed. Of course, if you have a fixed output CD player, or a turntable, you will need a volume control.
ST35 clone from DiyTUBE site. EL84 tube amp, about 18w/channel home brew. Uses clones of the old Dynaco amps as output transformers. Nice, warm tube sound.
Several Class D amps based on very cheap boards available from eBay and Amazon. A $20 amp plus a surplus laptop computer power supply sounded amazingly good. To better ears, they may not.
An old Adcom receiver, and a Sony home theatre receiver, neither of which sounded very good.
Consider starting with a cheap Class D amp and testing other amps that you can borrow. No doubt you will find the perfect amp.
In any case, the Pensils are great. After many years of home brew, I have the best system for me.... Pass F5 Class A Mosfet amp, DYI EL84 tube amp, and Pensil 10P speakers. For source, I use a Sony and an Adcom CD player. Both are fine.
Limitation of my sound is the quality of the CD recording.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.