What Amp do you use with your Mark Audio Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A. - yes while not set up for daily use in either of my systems, I have driven a couple of models of Alpairs and EL70s for that matter with 2A3 amps - as have other folks I'm sure.

B. I'd be surprised if your bipoles couldn't play louder with the NAD, or virtually any SS amp, but not likely with the transparency, soundstage depth and low level textural detail of a well executed 2A3

A. - yes while not set up for daily use in either of my systems, I have driven a couple of models of Alpairs and EL70s for that matter with 2A3 amps - as have other folks I'm sure.

B. I'd be surprised if your bipoles couldn't play louder with the NAD, or virtually any SS amp, but not likely with the transparency, soundstage depth and low level textural detail of a well executed 2A3

I guess what I'm asking is the impossible! to get the soundstage and dynamics at a low volume. The speakers with the NAD sound incredible at high volumes I just want the same magic without the problem of blowing them out (again)!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Inspired by an early wave of very warm weather, I have recently finished building my "summer amp" and I must say that it sounds incredible driving my pair of A10-P.

It is a 2x100w Sure board, based on the STA508 chip, capable of putting out 70 very clean watts per channel into 4 ohms. I only use about 25 watts of that, so plenty of headroom. The power supply is very important. I chose an Omron 27v/4.5A SMPS, and I am very happy with the results. The works are installed in a biscuit tin. Total cost was about $90.

It has me seriously considering selling my EL34 tube amp.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm leaning to the 2A3 or 300b unit. Has anyone driven Mark Audio drivers with a 2A3 tube? My drivers 10.2 are rated at 87 dB but in parallel mode and 4Ohm load the efficiency should be closer to 90dB. will the 2A3 produce bigger sounstage and dynamics them my NAD amp?

While Bernie still had it, he often brought hislovely 2A3 SE down. It did well on A10.2/A7.3/EL70 and others. In my bif room youcould push it into clipping heavily enuff to hear it, but at slightly lower levels it was very enjoyable.

dave

when Dave says big room, he's not kidding - rather an awkward shape for which to calculate cubic volume (I promise to try to remember if he's got that number at hand), but at under 200ft ^2, a 2A3 would do me just fine

When I remarked that "virtually any SS amp" could play louder, that wasn't to cast aspersions on the SET amp - I've heard few of the former that can do all of the things that I love about the latter. I'll take max SPL of under 90dB with the musicality of the 2A3 and a FR speaker over head-banding levels with multi-ways any day.

I'm leaning to the 2A3 or 300b unit. Has anyone driven Mark Audio drivers with a 2A3 tube? My drivers 10.2 are rated at 87 dB but in parallel mode and 4Ohm load the efficiency should be closer to 90dB. will the 2A3 produce bigger sounstage and dynamics them my NAD amp?
Thanks.
Fi 2A3 / A12P, also swapped out the 2A3 for 45 tubes, both work tubes very well.

My Paramour 2A3's were originally stock, but upgraded with the Bottlehead upgrade kit. It provided beefier iron transformer replacements, a few "exotic" cap replacements and a small constant-current chip board.

One developed a hum for while and I procrastinated trouble shooting for the better part of a year.....when I finally got down to it, the problem revealed itself in the first place I looked: bad connection on hum pot!
All sounds absolutely beautiful right now on the A12P pensils....(especially with a new source Sony HAP-Z1ES...very nice)

Mario

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.