Near full range BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator) - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2013, 01:23 PM   #111
diyAudio Member

I have 2 of the 3.5" Hi-Wave BMRs from PE, they sound quite nice to me, perhaps they could be slightly muddled but also sound very clear/lots of depth at the same time. In fact they have a similar sound to a pair of Sony Ericson in-earphones I have.

Just wondering, where do you get the 4.5" units from, and are they Hi-Wave as well?
Old 24th March 2013, 11:28 PM   #112
diyAudio Member

Default OEM Direct BMR's

Hi Enigmatic,

I had to buy a lot of drivers ( MOQ 500 ) to secure an OEM deal on the 4.5 inch Neo spec as I wanted a few changes to the previous version I got from Shinhint in China.
No regrets at all!

Cheers
Derek.
Old 25th March 2013, 01:45 AM   #113
iperv is offline iperv  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi Overkill.
I've got some questions for you:
1- do you think the 16 units version will be a real fullrange speaker (say -3dB @40Hz)?
2- are you speaking of 16 neo units?
3- will it be similar to an ESL system (but >100dB/W/m)?
4- will you really sell a diy kit?

Very interesting stuff
Old 25th March 2013, 09:39 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Talking LA 8 already full range...!

Hi Iperv,

I only use the 4.5 inch ( Sd 60) Neo magnet BMR as the ferrite drivers have a closed in " cuppy sound " in the lower mids.

The LA 16 will be full range and then some...
The LA 8 already is flat to 37Hz, with a -3dB of 35Hz, I have some in room measurements I can email you if you send me your email address.
I have tried to post them here but the system does not like my screen shots!
Both unsmoothed and smoothed measurements were taken at 4 meters in the listening position.

My room has a symmetrical 50Hz suck out and an asymmetrical peak at 103 Hz peak ( 6 dB ) on the right channel. I donít boost the suck out but I do lower the peaks.
I also correct the 120Hz to 220Hz shelf, this is boundary gain and not present with anechoic measurements.
The last correction is to bring down the 9KHz peak and add a wee bit of boost around 16KHz.

I have almost finished the LA 16 cabinets internal damping and will start the driver wiring on Wed / Thursday...Hope to have sounds by the weekend!

I will make some Kits available soon, details to follow!
Re your question about electrostatics...I like electrostatics but I donít love them... They are very pretty and correct but, to my ears stats lack slam, dynamics and donít have that solid " reach out touch " feel about them....IMO stats are detailed but not believable if that makes sense?

The LA arrays are very, very believable!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HTC 23 Feb 2012 258.jpg (305.7 KB, 1714 views)
Old 25th March 2013, 10:06 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

Default Line Array Kit prices

I have some pricing info...
BMR 4.5 inch Neo magnet 112mm square chassis, driver prices:

1 to 9 - £ 49 each
10 to 19 - £ 45 each
20 to 49 - £ 39 each
50 plus - £ 35 each.

The LA16 kit £ 2,500. (Drivers only Kit - £ 1,248)
LA 9 Kit price £1,595. (Drivers only £810.)

The speaker kits are actually going to be 90% pre assembled as there is a lot of machinery required to bend the curved ply wood sides and then its a bit tricky to bond it to the inner " skeleton ".
The customer just has to apply all the internal damping material ( very important to get right) and then glue in the baffle.
Then you can install the drivers.
Pics to follow later this week.
Cheers
Derek.
Old 25th March 2013, 08:07 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Default LA 16 before baffles go on

Here are a few pics before the baffles go on.
You can see the curved ply wood sides and the internal dividers and skeleton.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25 march LA 16 273.jpg (698.0 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg 25 march LA 16 275.jpg (507.3 KB, 483 views)
Old 25th March 2013, 08:12 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Default close up

more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25 march LA 16 279.jpg (633.6 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg 25 march LA 16 277.jpg (528.5 KB, 396 views)
Old 25th March 2013, 08:17 PM   #118
iperv is offline iperv  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill Audio View Post
I have some pricing info...
BMR 4.5 inch Neo magnet 112mm square chassis, driver prices:

1 to 9 - £ 49 each
10 to 19 - £ 45 each
20 to 49 - £ 39 each
50 plus - £ 35 each.

The LA16 kit £ 2,500. (Drivers only Kit - £ 1,248)
LA 9 Kit price £1,595. (Drivers only £810.)

The speaker kits are actually going to be 90% pre assembled as there is a lot of machinery required to bend the curved ply wood sides and then its a bit tricky to bond it to the inner " skeleton ".
The customer just has to apply all the internal damping material ( very important to get right) and then glue in the baffle.
Then you can install the drivers.
Pics to follow later this week.
Cheers
Derek.

Very interesting.

Just a little bit more than i aspected, but just because i didn't know which price per unit i had to aspect.

What about listening quality?
We have to wait this weekend?
Old 25th March 2013, 11:19 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Default LA 16 build

Listening tests will be a little way off as I am not allowed to solder in the house and 32 drivers plus wiring harness takes some time and this cold weather is making working in the garage rather difficult...My hands freeze up every 45 minutes, so progress is slow.

Having said that I actually crimp all joints and only use a blob of solder to seal the joint, then cover with Teflon tubing and heat shrink so its way less fumes than traditional solder joints.

I have just bought a couple of reels of 0.8mm and 0.5mm solid core silver plated copper wire which is great to work with and is ( unexplainably?) genuinely a worthwhile improvement over the Cardas multi strand copper.

As far as sound quality goes I donít want to start gushing about how I think they are the cats pyjama's...Over the next month or two I am going to get a few independent ( musicians and studio guys mostly) listeners in and post their thoughts on a web site which should go live in May.

Also I am looking for a few DIY Forum guys who have their own high end systems as references to come and have a listen... These guys dont miss and hit the wall, they tell it like it is!

Suffice to say I am used to ultra-high end sound and have a what most people would regard as a " Desert Island " system i.e. £30K worth of Manger driver & Precision Devices open baffle speakers / DEQX - custom battery power supply / Fully tricked out TP Buffalo 3 DAC / selection of power amps / custom media PC - battery powered no fans / studio grade software & mics. With that as a reference system I am still excited about the LA speakers.
I would not be spending all this time and money on producing the LA range unless I believed I had a disruptive product range. People use the term
" Game Changer " all too frequently, well I am here to say the LA range is a game changer!

All the best
Derek.
Old 11th April 2013, 12:20 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Default Getting there...!

Hi all,

I will take some more pics soon and start a build thread for the next pair(s). They sound really great, I am over the moon with these speakers.

Cheers
Derek.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LA 16 April 2013.jpg (654.6 KB, 173 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!