Near full range BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator)

Well I had a very interesting visit to hear Derek's system yesterday, which was a bit of an eye (ear?) opener in many ways.

Derek is a believer in careful use of eq and room correction and I must say that this is the first time I have been convinced of the benefits of the latter. Derek's tuning of what at first appeared to be a haphazard arrangement of subs was anything but!!!

Anyway, onto the BMRs...
The impression I got was of effortless clarity and coherence. I suspect this is down to the low distortion and accurate transient response that results using using many drivers along with the 'speed' of the BMRs. I heard no signs of the usual clues that you are listening to a hifi e.g.: exaggeration of sibilance, colourations (like chestiness), thuddy bass etc. Unfortunately I was not able to hear my own music, but on Derek's music I would say that his system definitely sounds better than 95% of high end systems you would hear at a hifi show, and probably better than the other 5% as well. This was with the rubber surround BMRs, apparently the silk version sounds even better. Also bear in mind that he was using a laptop with an inexpensive DAC to convert to Toslink and a mid-priced Yamaha AV DAC/amp to drive the BMRs - no DCS mega-stack here!!!

After listening to various bits of music and being pretty impressed, Derek played a recording of a drum kit. I went from being pretty impressed to stunned!!!! That was THE most realistic reply of drums I have ever heard (much better than the DCS/Sugden/big Focal system I heard at a hifi show a few years ago)!!!

Can't wait to hear the silk BMRs (if Derek will have me back).

Anyway, Thanks Derek :cheers:

2015 is going to be fun....!

Well I had a very interesting visit to hear Derek's system yesterday, which was a bit of an eye (ear?) opener in many ways....

After listening to various bits of music and being pretty impressed, Derek played a recording of a drum kit. I went from being pretty impressed to stunned!!!! That was THE most realistic reply of drums I have ever heard (much better than the DCS/Sugden/big Focal system I heard at a hifi show a few years ago)!!!

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your positive feedback and glad you enjoyed the demo!

Once I get some demo speakers built up with the silk surround BMR's you are welcome to come back and hear the next level.... Might even throw in some good amps and DAC's to replace the Yamaha AV amp with its "budget" DAC's!!

Speak soon and all the best
Derek.

I don't suppose you got to hear the single BMR unit at Derek's, I have a pair awaiting cabinets, but would be nice to hear what a single one can do, as no doub't 36 drivers in an array can sound amazing, but they aren't the cheapest units around (I'm aware the price reflects the quality)...

I guess I should just build a cabinet and run them in, just too many projects...

Build your cabinets....!

.....but they aren't the cheapest units around (I'm aware the price reflects the quality)...

Well said Dude!

On price here is an interesting comparison....
Rs components 65mm square chassis with square cone BMR £11.07 (inc VAT) Sd 17.2cm

CIA rubber surround 112mm square chassis round cone BMR £49.50 (inc VAT) Sd 70.2cm.

In order to equal the 70cm Sd of one of my BMR's you will need 4 of the small Rs drivers....£44.28!
Now factor in the performance advantages of the CIA driver and the time / labour / baffle / cabinet savings of one driver Vs 4 drivers....

My document container is stationary....(I rest my case!!)

Now go and build those cabinets man, you have a workshop full of CNC equipment and MDF!!

Cheers
Derek.

I don't suppose you got to hear the single BMR unit at Derek's, I have a pair awaiting cabinets, but would be nice to hear what a single one can do, as no doub't 36 drivers in an array can sound amazing, but they aren't the cheapest units around (I'm aware the price reflects the quality)...

I guess I should just build a cabinet and run them in, just too many projects...

I didn't listen to any single driver units,bought 8 myself to make a 4 driver pair though,started my cabinets & should have them up & running soon:)

Single BMR design

Cool, the Hypex is good value, should be a sweet combo with the BMR.

I am building a couple of single BMR speakers at the mo, should be ready in about 2 weeks if you want to hear them before you build your own cabinets.

Dave briefly heard 4 BMR's used as a "solo" centre channel just before we had to pack up...Only a couple of minutes of some piano......don't know if he heard enough to comment....He was still in "shock" after the drum solo!!
:D

Gary,
My DIY guide is based on my own BMR's spec and performance....
They are totally different from the RS components drivers so will be of limited use, but I have attached a copy for general info.

All the best
Derek.