Lone Star Audio Fest 2011 -- Dallas, TX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I suppose a little peak in a full range helps the off axis response. But not 15db+(!). Even at 2m in a highly damped room this will saw off most ears. Well at least mine. This particular Markaudio driver was designed for hippies with blown out ears. Or the ones who read these threads on the forums and follow certain gurus and take what they say for gospel.

This frequency response is not high end audio. However, I must admit that for short listening periods on certain types of music it will sound more detailed and hence "better", when compared to speakers with a flatter response. This is the business end of speaker design.

I don't blame Mark one bit as he's giving diyers' what they want or at least think they want. And to his credit he offers other drivers with a flatter response.

The directivity of any FR is poor hence the reason for rising response at high freq. above 6-8kHz, so when you listen off axis say between 15-30deg(the speakers are toe-in) the FR freq should be relatively flat(+/- 5dB), This would be good performance for FR spkrs. Outside that range its Freq Resp. curve dives at high freq.

For excellent image you have to sit in between the speakers.

Personally, I like the A7 very much. At very close range, and on-axis, I noticed (at first) a certain "zing" compared to the slightly warm, rolled-off sound I usually listen to. But in a normal seating position, it was just right, and not fatiguing. I'm certainly not a hippie (nothing against them).

Rather than tilted up (as others described the response), I find the Mark Audio's to be pleasantly bass-heavy at times! But also more extended than what I'm used to. I am buying the Alpair 10's for a certain application (two-channel doing double duty as home theater). But there is no one perfect driver for all applications.

Looking forward to hearing these in Dallas, Bob. Anyone else attending?

Last edited:
I'll be running three Pi mains and three Pi subs. The mains have all the upgrade options - TD12S woofers, DE250 tweeters, Auricaps, Mills resistors and 15guage Jantzen coils.

Dsc_0011.jpg

three Pi mains with flanking subs

I'm writing up the info on my new A7 TL for my web page, but here is a first look. The cabinet is a 36" 6:1 taper TL. While I was doing the modeling, I compared a constant taper pipe with a three constant CSA sections. Not much difference in performance, but the three section pipe is a lot easier to build. The prototype is veneered with walnut and finished with polyurethane.

The pictures are attached to this first post. Performance will be attached to the second post.

Bob

Compact, clean and simple aesthetic, should have high WAF among other positives! :) All the best for the Lone Star Audio Fest.

I think the 30 degree response looked pretty good and as stated if one mounts them square this would be about right. I also note that in all of MJK's sheets when you model from a listening distance of 10 plus feet with room boundaries activated the higher frequencies drop off hugely. I am sure any individual will find a distance and angle where these would work really well for him/her.
jamikl

Tang Band. Really nice, maybe something I could live with. The Mark Audios were is there as well, but didn't wow me.

Other high points:
Down the hall, beautifully rebuilt Quads were being run near their limits and sounded that way. Nice music selection, though, and on quieter, simpler parts, they sounded as good as they should have.

Uriah Dailey's preamp looked beautiful and seem to function perfectly. I don't buy into the LDR concept, but if one thinks there's merit to it, this looks like an excellent implementation.

I picked up a new guitar while I was up here, so have been getting to know it while everyone else is partying.:D

Joined 2007
Paid Member
It was a hectic day here and these type of big gatherings just wear me out. But not this time! I was energized by all the enthusiasts who stopped by to listen to my headphone equipment. I got to chat my favorite hobby and even had a very nice discussion about tomatoes with SY!

As usual, SY brought some interesting disks and I listened to Res Gestae, composed by Robert Jenkins, a local Austin artist. Really good stuff, just like SY's pizza.

I got to meet jlsem and probably a few others that were browsing around the place.

It has been a great 1st experience for me and I had to laugh as I kept getting offers for my Senn HD580 headphones. They're my favs and I bought them almost 20 years ago. No way I sell those!

All blame for my involvement goes to udailey, who has, as always, been the nicest guy to give me a helping hand while I've been here. He's been a trooper while fighting off some sinus bug to help others.

I didn't get to hear the Tang Bands; I assumed they were Fostexes (Fosteces?). In the near future I'll get to hear Barrett's Quads in his home, which has a more suitable sized room - hard to get them far enough from the back wall. It was good seeing SY and meeting Sonidos.

Overall, though, the show was a bit disappointing. I'll be surprised if there is one next year.

John

Last edited:
> ...disappointing...

I have to disagree. This was my third time and I thought the percentage of great to outstanding rooms has never been higher. LSAF is a regional boutique show with quality over quantity. It has easily ~75% of the rooms doing something good to great, with ~10% doing something excellent. Contrast that with RMAF (1% are good to excellent, the rest are just stupid bad and often physically painful).

This was the most ear-friendly show I've ever attended.

Photos and comments coming soon.

Here are things of single-driver interest.

Forum member Uriah Dailey (udailey)'s room. Uriah builds electronics and also built the speakers, which are Audio Nirvana Super 12's. No, they don't sound like guitar speakers. Actually they are hyper-detailed (how is that possible?) I am very tempted to get a pair of these. The cab was well-built (shelf bracing).

Uriah, were those speaker platforms filled with anything?

Attachments

• SANY0259_rot.JPG
    SANY0259_rot.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 291
What the?! Yes, this gentleman modded two cellos and put 8" Fostex in there (sounded like the 207's to me but I could be wrong).

Skeptics will hate on a playa, but believe it or not, this guy is really talented and gets interesting, musical results in unconventional ways. The sound was balanced toward the warm side which is how I generally like it. I can't argue with his methods because I have the 207 and 206 and his just sound better than mine,. at least to my ears.

He mods other gear professionally and you can check him out at: Audible Improvements

Attachments

• SANY0260_rot.JPG
    SANY0260_rot.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 298
  • SANY0262_rot.JPG
    SANY0262_rot.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 276
  • SANY0263.JPG
    SANY0263.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 277
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.