Lone Star Audio Fest 2011 -- Dallas, TX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The site looks mostly the same every year with little content added to it. I think people want to see things change on it just to know that there's life in it.

I agree with that statement. I work for a software company that sells web applications and we can't afford to sit on our hands and let our applications grow stale or we will lose customers with the 'same ol' same ol' ".

We have to revamp every couple of years. I know this is apples to oranges in this case but the site could use a revamp.

Another note - I heard one gentleman complaining because he had a card but he said he had heard that the 2nd and 3rd floors would be accessible for Saturday only without need for a card to access the floors.

I think we can all take that as constructive criticism, an action item for next year: Change the website.

About the guy that complained about needing a card to get to the rooms, that's always been a policy. We don't like it, but we've lived with it. And it's really no trouble - you show up, you can't get in, you ask why, they give you a card. Easy peasy. If you come more than one day, you get another card.

This was my third time and I thought the percentage of great to outstanding rooms has never been higher. LSAF is a regional boutique show with quality over quantity. It has easily ~75% of the rooms doing something good to great, with ~10% doing something excellent. Contrast that with RMAF (1% are good to excellent, the rest are just stupid bad and often physically painful).

This was the most ear-friendly show I've ever attended.

That's great if there's no customers at the check-in desk. When I got there, after verifying that there weren't accessible stairs and not seeing a way to get up there, I waited nearly 20 minutes before I could get a card. Less persistent types would just say "the hell with this" and leave.

The setup is inconvenient. Surely there's a better place somewhere in Dallas? Or better yet, move it to Austin- roughly equidistant from Dallas and Houston, and more/better live music.

There's certainly a good way to handle the card access. I'll figure something out.

I for one think the hotel is actually quite a nice venue. The walls are concrete so you get no noise from the room next door. We also don't have to worry about bothering anyone either. I don't know that a lot of places would let us jam out like we do without getting in trouble.

The happy hour is pretty bad *** too. Free drinks for 2 hours right as the exhibit is ending? That's the best time to go talk to everyone who's at the show!

There's certainly a good way to handle the card access. I'll figure something out.

I for one think the hotel is actually quite a nice venue. The walls are concrete so you get no noise from the room next door. We also don't have to worry about bothering anyone either. I don't know that a lot of places would let us jam out like we do without getting in trouble.

The happy hour is pretty bad *** too. Free drinks for 2 hours right as the exhibit is ending? That's the best time to go talk to everyone who's at the show!

Yes, that was awesome.
I'm a fan of the hotel to. Not only do they not mind the music but I was speaking to them about feeling bad because I play the music pretty loud and they were saying 'No, no. Play it loud. We love having you guys here. We look forward to the crazy stuff you bring every year and we dont mind the volume.' Blew my mind but was a load off my shoulders because I was feeling pretty guilty.
Maybe we need a sign at the front with a phone number for folks to call as well as the cards. If they are in line then they phone us up and we meet them at the bottom of the elevator.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm not trying to sound like Debbie Downer but I just wanted to report on the negatives I heard. As SY mentioned, some may give up and just walk away. I know I've done it in the past when the gate to the golden city was an adventure to find.

SY - you read my mind! Austin, baby!:D

The setup is inconvenient. Surely there's a better place somewhere in Dallas? Or better yet, move it to Austin- roughly equidistant from Dallas and Houston, and more/better live music.

Now that's a good idea. Move it to the early spring and you've got a really great road trip. Perfect weather, good food, funky Austin feel, and lots of young potential audiophiles to shore up the aging cadre.

John

I'm not trying to sound like Debbie Downer but I just wanted to report on the negatives I heard. As SY mentioned, some may give up and just walk away. I know I've done it in the past when the gate to the golden city was an adventure to find.

SY - you read my mind! Austin, baby!:D

Thought you were going to report some negatives..? Sounds to me like we are just thinning the herd via natural selection ;P

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Haha. Not many negatives at all, just those two fellows.

Personally, it was a great experience but my first year was so hectic that I didn't get to really sit down and visit with others, so that is high on my agenda.

I did get to say hello to Dennis from D-Sonic and chat with him a while. He was very complimentary on the bass he heard from your set up through your Grado headphones and the solid state head amp that I brought to the show.

But I only got to chat with Bruce and Rodney from Oddwatt for a few minutes and never made it to Wayne Parham's room nor to Bob Brine's either.:eek:

I'll remedy that at the next show.

I had only a short time so I only made a few of the rooms.

Bob Brines had the MA Alpair 7 TL playing. Sounded great, looked good and holding there own against the multi-ways. I made a quick exit when a prospective sale showed up.

One of the reasons I attended was to check out an open baffle system. John Busch had that 18” woofer coupled with a Seas 8” going and I guess he had the Manzitas playing the day before. I’m going to move ahead with an OB for my next build, 2 X Eminence A15a with Fostex FE167E per the MJK design .

Uriah’s a smart young man with those full range AN’s. Big, crisp sound and I’m sure my eyes glazed over when he started talking about his preamps. Nice enough to not kick me out even after I gave him my quick down and dirty 2-cent course on how to put his kids through college buying real estate.

Steven’s (italynstyln) room was packed the two times I wandered by. Never could get in to say hello. I’ll catch him next year.

I did not catch the name of the gentleman who had the Econowaves playing that were based off that huge AK thread. He was not selling anything, just letting the DIY folks know what you could do with a $500 build. I got to tell you they blew me away. In hindsight, I realize I should have gone to Wayne Parham’s room as well. Ran out of time...I'd like to try a build like that as well.

YG Acoustics had great sound, super nice guys and beautiful system. About the price of a year at UNT so they were out of my league, but that's OK I hope they made some sales.

Most of the rooms were playing pretty loud but when the doors were closed you could not hear anything in hallways. I doubt anybody was disturbed and I think it is a great place to hold the event.

Thanks to all.....My first fest and I’ll be back next year. I caught a ride with a housekeeper to second floor. The card thing was a bit tricky.

Steven’s (italynstyln) room was packed the two times I wandered by. Never could get in to say hello. I’ll catch him next year.

I did not catch the name of the gentleman who had the Econowaves playing that were based off that huge AK thread. He was not selling anything, just letting the DIY folks know what you could do with a $500 build. I got to tell you they blew me away. In hindsight, I realize I should have gone to Wayne Parham’s room as well. Ran out of time...I'd like to try a build like that as well.

If you're in the DFW area we can get together sometime. I'm planning on organizing some more listening sessions. We've done a few lately and they've been good fun. :D

And the guy in the room with the Econowaves playing (I liked those a lot) was Fred T aka: Audio Fred

The original cello speakers

What the?! Yes, this gentleman modded two cellos and put 8" Fostex in there (sounded like the 207's to me but I could be wrong).

Skeptics will hate on a playa, but believe it or not, this guy is really talented and gets interesting, musical results in unconventional ways. The sound was balanced toward the warm side which is how I generally like it. I can't argue with his methods because I have the 207 and 206 and his just sound better than mine,. at least to my ears.

He mods other gear professionally and you can check him out at: Audible Improvements

Hi rjbond3rd,

Just would like you to know that the design idea of make a cello a speaker I am afraid is mine. You can check it easily. Just click on this link: e-Nyilvántartás v.1.07. (this is the official website of the Hungarian Patent Office) then type this: D0900101 as identifier then search. As you can see my protection on my cello speakers exists since 02/06/2009.

I am in a correspondence with him but he hasn't answered so far where is his idea from? The fact is: he just came up with his ones on the "T.H.E." Show in Las Vegas this January. I haven't seen anybody else with this design before me. Have you?

He made some serious modifications on the electronics and maybe his speakers sound better than mine but the design idea is definitely mine.

Anyway I am now making the 2nd generation of my cello speakers and the 3rd ones (they will be back loaded horn ones) are ready to start.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
We should allow for the possibility that the Cello Speaker idea sprung forth independently in multiple locations. Could be the fellow in Texas came up with idea on his own. I know after building Scott Mooses Coniston design I started to view the speaker cabinet like a musical instrument.

I subscribe to the idea that there is very little original thought left in the universe. This does not diminish genius or original thinking but acknowledges that we are all stimulated by humanity's achievements and failures and can arrive at similar epiphanies independently.

And thinking well of each other is virtuous even if erroneous..............

ideas and execution

We should allow for the possibility that the Cello Speaker idea sprung forth independently in multiple locations. Could be the fellow in Texas came up with idea on his own. I know after building Scott Mooses Coniston design I started to view the speaker cabinet like a musical instrument.

I subscribe to the idea that there is very little original thought left in the universe. This does not diminish genius or original thinking but acknowledges that we are all stimulated by humanity's achievements and failures and can arrive at similar epiphanies independently.

And thinking well of each other is virtuous even if erroneous..............

Thank you, Motosapien. The idea of using a musical instrument was neither mine nor Frank's and as a patents go, this one dates back prior to both of us. (See Natural resonant speaker - Kim, Young-ahn). Though this patent has limited use, Frank's argument for originality is spurious at best for a number reasons: clearly, the idea of a "loudspeaker" is un-patentable because of the necessary physical requirements of hearing, it is in the manifestation (execution) of that concept that one could protect oneself from infringement in a court of law.

However, since all loudspeaker enclosures will eventually resemble each other at one point because of these same physical requirements of moving air, the argument for "uniqueness" or "originality" in execution becomes irrelevant and therefore also ultimately un-patentable. Frank did get a patent in Hungary for the execution of his idea, which on close inspection of his photo, resembles mine by name only, not by its actual physical body.

Finally, arguments for originality in audio design is often a marketing tool rather than expression of quality. While I applaud all my colleagues for their creativity, insight and (with many) their execution of the fundamental ideas in audio design, I don't flatter myself in thinking that I have the most original or even the "best". All of us at one point or another stand on the shoulders of giants to get a better view. Forgetting this simple acknowledgment of relative success can lead to a painful fall from the same giants' shoulders that afford support.

Good luck to all in your efforts and creativity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.