Lone Star Audio Fest 2011 -- Dallas, TX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are the Quads mentioned above. I was stunned by the overall excellent music in this room. This guy isn't even selling anything. (He should, because I would buy it.) Last year, the freakish "good music" sound was from Jeffrey Jackson and Dave Slagle. This year, it was this guy.

His site: Innerurban.com Audio Art Photography and Life

Attachments

• SANY0264.JPG
    SANY0264.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 318
  • SANY0265.JPG
    SANY0265.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 302
Manzanita brought some incredible open-baffle designs (forum member jbsuch, I think?)

One utilizes an 18" woofer and (I think) the SEAS Prestige 8"er. The sound was great (even better than his double-woofer three-way version last year). Lots of oomph and very deep bass even up on those stands. He played a cut where the upright bassist gives a very strong pluck on an open E and it was very strong and clear.

It's hard to beat a really good fullranger on OB matched up to a ridiculous woofer :) I think I will have to give this less expensive SEAS fullranger a try.

Another model (see picture) utilized a 21" woofer and a little bitty driver. I really wanted to hear this, but the SEAS/18" is his top of the line model.

Attachments

• SANY0272.JPG
    SANY0272.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 301
  • SANY0273_rot.JPG
    SANY0273_rot.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 293
Bob Brines' room. This room wins for most fun, without a doubt. We did unscientific AB comparisions between his two latest models.

On the one hand, we had his new small TL based on the Alpair 7. You just would not believe the chunky, phat bass this "little monster" puts out. Perfect for double duty as hifi and home theater. Bob always completely tweaks out the room with his computer-based frontend (using Foobar 2000's EQ). The sound was great and I could not hear any room modes (impressive since the walls were concrete).

Unexpectedly, I was even more impressed with the (obviously far larger) model using the Tang Band W8-1772 driver. It seems to have more "air" and Bob explained that he didn't EQ out a peak at 12k but otherwise said it's a remarkably flat driver. Definitely it does not have that ragged treble we know and love from [censored].

The Alpair 7-based design had some advantages: the bass seemed to be more consistent as Bob turned the SPL up and down (as you might expect from a TL). The Tang Band-based model did seem to want a certain (moderate) level where the bass really came to life (that seems standard for BR's).

On baroque strings, I think the Tang Band model had better, more aggressive attack. But the Alpair had a kick-butt quality that would be very much at home with rock, home theater and certainly other genres as well.

Both are capable of "beefy" and robust bass. However, the Alpair seems more "muscular" and I would say more "rock friendly," whereas the other model seemed like an "improved Fostex" type of sound.

Attachments

• SANY0269.JPG
    SANY0269.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 291
  • SANY0270.JPG
    SANY0270.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 135
  • SANY0271.JPG
    SANY0271.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 157
Forum member italynstylion (Stereo Clarity) showed off his latest creation, a self-contained "media center" (dedicated computer / ripper) in a beautiful chassis which has (!) built-in power amps. Yes, that's right -- the power amps are built into the media player unit. Just add speakers. Not single driver but we did listen to his nicely executed towers (in the middle-ground).

In the foreground, there is a good line array from a different designer which we heard. Also pictured is another line array which sounded pretty good.

Big apologies to forum member mightym (John) -- I lost track of time and had to run out to catch a plane before we could hang out more. I would love to know what you liked best.

Other people, please add your impressions since I've only barely covered things.

Attachments

• SANY0274.JPG
    SANY0274.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 162
  • SANY0249.JPG
    SANY0249.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 133
Unexpectedly, I was even more impressed with the (obviously far larger) model using the Tang Band W8-1772 driver. It seems to have more "air" and Bob explained that he didn't EQ out a peak at 12k but otherwise said it's a remarkably flat driver. Definitely it does not have that ragged treble we know and love from [censored].

That was the one I liked quite a bit. And I'm not one who likes single driver systems very much.

Here are the Quads mentioned above. I was stunned by the overall excellent music in this room. This guy isn't even selling anything. (He should, because I would buy it.) Last year, the freakish "good music" sound was from Jeffrey Jackson and Dave Slagle. This year, it was this guy.

His site: Innerurban.com Audio Art Photography and Life

He also makes some really good home-brewed beer. His stout is classic braun milch.

John

What the?! Yes, this gentleman modded two cellos and put 8" Fostex in there (sounded like the 207's to me but I could be wrong).

Skeptics will hate on a playa, but believe it or not, this guy is really talented and gets interesting, musical results in unconventional ways. The sound was balanced toward the warm side which is how I generally like it. I can't argue with his methods because I have the 207 and 206 and his just sound better than mine,. at least to my ears.

He mods other gear professionally and you can check him out at: Audible Improvements

There was a smoothness to this system that was very alluring. One would instinctively assume they would be colored, but that wasn't my impression.

John

Here are things of single-driver interest.

Forum member Uriah Dailey (udailey)'s room. Uriah builds electronics and also built the speakers, which are Audio Nirvana Super 12's. No, they don't sound like guitar speakers. Actually they are hyper-detailed (how is that possible?) I am very tempted to get a pair of these. The cab was well-built (shelf bracing).

Uriah, were those speaker platforms filled with anything?

Sorry, first look at the thread. Want to say thanks to SY and Sonidos for the very kind compliments.
RJBOND3RD - I have pillow fill up to ports. Carpet backing on the sides and back of the cab from top (including the top) to about 2 or 3 inches above the ports. Think I stapled some pillow fill on top of that stuff. OHHH I have a build album... just a sec and will link it for you..
https://picasaweb.google.com/udailey/AudioNirvanaSuper12Build?feat=directlink

I should mention that SY brought some music by Matt the Electrician that was very well recorded for being recorded in a coffee shop. SY sings backup in track 2 if I recall. I am sure he was just waiting for someone to mention that. Autographs later... ;)
Sonidos brought some headphone amps. Now, I have only been to LSAF for 2 years but never saw anyone bring headamps. These both kicked you know what. One was solid state and with a super simple layout. It sounded okay, but shouty in his room with my Grados, but great with his Senn's. I took it over to my room and it completely blew me and a few others away with the Grado's. I am not sure why. We were both using Audio GD DACs into a Lighter Note and then into the amp. Only difference was computer source in my room and Oppo in his room but for digital from an Oppo to be shouty is odd. The DACs are nearly identical in their design to so really quite odd for the difference. Anyway, it kicks ****. Nice job Sonidos. The other one he has is a design of his own that he came up with after studying the Starving Student by Pete Millett. Probably spelled the last name wrong. Forgive me Pete. Anyway I am sure at some point Sonidos will explain what he did differently, whether this thread or another. It was also incredible. This one has a feel of air that I have not heard in a head amp. The space was clearly defined. Cool.
Uriah

Actually, no, probably not you LOL. My mistake. My friend John stopped by my room and now that I think about it he has a different DIYaudio name. Sorry to both. Still hope YOU will be back next year. Youre way to close to the action to complain about low attendance. Being in Dallas.
Do you have an audiophile society in Dallas? Ours in Houston has been reticent to attend. I convinced a few guys this year and got them excited enough about it that they convinced a few others. Let me think about how many showed... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.. okay 10 that I can think of right off the bat and probably a few I dont know personally. I just told them how inexpensive it was and that if they are not going to purchase then go for the social aspect because the social aspect of the LSAF is wonderful and its a great selling point. They are all conspiring now to come back next year and set up their own music rooms even though they plan to sell nothing. Should be a good year next year for that fact.
Uriah

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.