Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2009, 08:29 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
And now for something completely different...

Kind of like a Nessie, but I ignored everything in the Nagaoka design methods (whatever they are -I really didn't bother looking, I prefer to do things my own way). Excuse the rubbish drawing and the equally duff pdf -I couldn't make the gif small enough to upload on the forum.

No, it's not going to be the most 'accurate' box ever done for the CHR. That wasn't why I did it -this is a deliberately characterful cabinet for use in modest rooms that should give some decent bass. Besides, if Feastex do something very similar for $19,000, no reason why we shouldn't have some fun too.

Scott, do you think this design could be altered to accommodate two of the CHR-70 drivers?
Old 9th April 2009, 09:14 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Only if

1/ you are willing to accept a substantially larger enclosure

2/ you are not planning on having both drivers on the front baffle
Old 10th April 2009, 04:13 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Only if

1/ you are willing to accept a substantially larger enclosure

2/ you are not planning on having both drivers on the front baffle

1) Substantially larger as in x2 or bigger?
2)eh......bipole?

I'm building a surround setup for a friend that will be coupled with a sub. I want to use two of the Mark Audio drivers per speaker cabinet to yield an 8ohm final load on his receiver. I'm likely to do a simple BR enclosure for the rear surrounds and the center but I'd like something better for the mains in case he listens to them exclusively in a stereo setting. I was hoping there was something that would limit excursion a bit for the low end.
Old 10th April 2009, 04:24 AM   #34
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

when i visited markaudio in hongkong, he demonstrate most of his alpairs and CHR-70

with setup like
1. Alpair 5 in small bass reflex with solid wood cabinets
2. Alpair 6 in small bass reflex
3. Non-standard Alpair 10FR in bass reflex.
4. 2 CHR-70 in bass reflex with double port in the front.

We are listening briefly with some classical reference recording, and some coffee lounge album.

the CHR-70 is quite good for the price, looks beautiful also.

He also educated me about how he designed the drivers, and why his drivers is quite special compare with other FR, which is FRS125, JX92S, some TANGBANDS with Neo magnets, and standard magnets.

He's a fun guy to talk to.

cheers
Old 10th April 2009, 05:36 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by italynstylion
[B]1) Substantially larger as in x2 or bigger?
Minimum twice the size.

Quote:
2)eh......bipole?
I'm just saying you can't put two FR drivers on the same baffle.
Old 10th April 2009, 01:59 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I'm just saying you can't put two FR drivers on the same baffle.

Oh, I didn't know this. Even in a BR?
Old 10th April 2009, 03:35 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Nothing to do with the cabinet, but you're begging for trouble with the forward output -if centre-to-centre spacing between the drivers exceeds 1 wavelength of the highest frequency to be reproduced, the outputs begin to lobe, attenuating the HF & causing multiple deep nulls in the response. If you mounted the CHRs as closely together as possible, this will start to occur from roughly 2.778KHz.
Old 10th April 2009, 03:44 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nothing to do with the cabinet, but you're begging for trouble with the forward output -if centre-to-centre spacing between the drivers exceeds 1 wavelength of the highest frequency to be reproduced, the outputs begin to lobe, attenuating the HF & causing multiple deep nulls in the response. If you mounted the CHRs as closely together as possible, this will start to occur from roughly 2.778KHz.

Eeesh...that sounds bad. Thank you for explaining it to me.

What do you recommend for my application in your personal opinion? I'm open to pretty much any design option since I haven't started building anything yet. As i said before, I'm interested in running two drivers per unit for the 8ohm load and the extra output.

Any reading material I should be looking at?
Old 10th April 2009, 05:37 PM   #39
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by italynstylion
What do you recommend for my application in your personal opinion?
I was particularily impressed with the way Cal's Calhouns worked. This deserves further exploration. In a BVR that means a driver on the front and one on the side (as the Calhouns) but it could also probably work as one on the front and one on the top (ignoring the potential side effects of gravity on the upward facing driver)

dave
Old 10th April 2009, 09:37 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

I was particularily impressed with the way Cal's Calhouns worked. This deserves further exploration. In a BVR that means a driver on the front and one on the side (as the Calhouns) but it could also probably work as one on the front and one on the top (ignoring the potential side effects of gravity on the upward facing driver)

dave

You mentioned the Calhouns but they have 2 drivers in the front baffle even though Scott said this was a bad idea. Why is it ok to do that in that design and how does is get around loabing? Also, I notice there is a half Calhoun design (coming soon) that uses two of the CSS WR or FR125's. Could this be altered for the CHR70's? If it is half (or close) to that of the Calhouns it seems like it would be a great design for my application.

PS: The Calhoun has a different thumbnail picture than the actual PDF file.

Hide this!Advertise here!