Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2010, 09:21 PM   #361
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

They are designed for the old ones, but Scott says the new & old are interchangable in his designs.

One of the beta testers is getting Mk 2s so i will look at them. I may adjust the height of the port spacers.

One of the beauties of these designs (we have discovered as we make more of them) is that once a base size is established), is that a new driver only requires different cutout, holey brace and different height port spacers.

dave
Old 21st February 2010, 08:34 PM   #362
Imh is offline Imh  Finland
diyAudio Member

I am planning to built double CHR-70 speakers based on this design: CHR70 Double Driver Box Plan | Markaudio. How important it is to keep the height the same as it is in this plan? The space where I have planned to place these speakers allows just 300mm in height, so can I change it if I keep the total volume the same (making cabinet bigger in widht and depht)?

I am going to use those speakers in home theatre (room size about 25 square meters, room height 2,5 meters), all 5 channels.
Old 21st February 2010, 08:49 PM   #363
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

In the case of this speaker, keeping the volume the same is sufficient.

At the volume of this box, 10 litre, i'd personally be making it aperiodic or leaving it sealed). And with the front baffle mostlt being holes, the drivers and baffle could really use a brace to the back.

dave
Old 22nd February 2010, 01:41 AM   #364
diyAudio Member

Finally got around to putting together the second test speaker and tried them out on the old Onkyo HT using Phillips BOTL DVD player as the CD player. At first they sounded a little nasal but that straightened out within 5 minutes. Strange. Is it normal for these to change their tonality as they warm up? Maybe it is my rcvr warming up or something.

I used several CDs for testing. The Faure requiem was first up and the vocals were outstanding. The strings all sounded exactly as they should. The imaging was almost as good as my open baffle systems. Very good considering that I have not tried to optimize their positioning in this test. The soft organ pedal tone at the end of the Sanctus was of course all but inaudible but that is a couple of octaves below the bottom of the expected range in this configuration so no surprise there. You could here a little of the overtones if you listened carefully.

The R. Strauss horn concerti really showed good presence and imaging again. Even though the bottom octave or two was slight to missing the balance of what was there was excellent. I think that integrating with the sub should be quite easy. In some of the complex orchestral passages there was just a hint of a midrange shout (more like raising its voice rather than a real shout) but overall much smoother than most MRs I have heard.

In the "New World Symphony" the tympani were quite good with all of the dynamics and image that I expect from this recording. Strings were silky smooth as they should be. Solo instruments had perfect presence.

The last up was the Mozart Clarinet concerto. Where a Clarinet is mellow it was mellow and where a Clarinet is piercing it was piercing. What more can one say? It is as it should be.

Once the sub is added I think we will have a real winner here. My wife liked them so much that she said that I could only use them for my grand daughters project if I bought another set for use with this system.

Last edited by mashaffer; 22nd February 2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old 23rd February 2010, 12:59 PM   #365
Imh is offline Imh  Finland
diyAudio Member

Dave, with a brace on the back - do you think it would help if the brace is like in some other plans where it comes from back wall straight towards to speaker elements to give support on back side of elements (and there are lots of holes in the brace)?

In most of the plans those holes have accurate dimensions and locations, so does it make difference or is it just important that air moves without too much resistance from side to side?

I would also like to have a comment from you about the plan I have selected, do yu think I will get benefit on the double element speaker versus one element (like the Onken) in my usage?
Old 23rd February 2010, 03:32 PM   #366
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

My feeling is that most speakers can benefit from a holey driver brace. Sometimes i one have it as a comment in the notes in the drawings, but in our speaker builds, even the smallest, we usually have such a brace.

The criteria are that the brace is firm against the driver magnet, but not so much as to stress the basket. Making it a bit deep and using something like pieces of paper to build it up to proper depth works.

The holes should be 30-40% of the area of the brace, i prefer circles. They can be champhered or rounded over if you want. Placement of holes should be such that a solid path remains directly behind the driver all the way to the back panel, and that holes are not so close to each other or the sides to weaken the panel. A half circle to leave room for a terminal cup is fine.

2 drivers per box gives more synamic capability, but 2 on the front may "blur" the higher frequencies somewhat (jurt is still out on how much -- i've heard some that were fine), side, rear or top mounting of the 2md driver helps with baffle step and gives a more spacious speaker.

Double-driver miniOnken are certainly doable, the only example to date is the uFonken^2 with 2 FF85KeN. There are quite a few of scottmoose designs that support dual drivers as well as any metronome.

dave
Old 25th February 2010, 08:48 PM   #367
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default They're alive!

CHR70eN in a "Fonken" style box...

Mike finished at least one, perhaps the second one, will be listening to them shortly, I hope..
Sorry for the grainy pix, from a phone

stew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00045-20100223-2313.jpg (94.0 KB, 808 views)
Old 25th February 2010, 08:51 PM   #368
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yea...

1st dMar-Ken70 out the gate!! I take it you sorted out the issues?

dave
Old 25th February 2010, 10:17 PM   #369
tresch is offline tresch  United States
diyAudio Member

Now that they're finished I'll go ahead and post these here!

Nothing super fancy as far as box construction goes. These are just sealed with some basic bracing. I haven't even tried any stuffing yet. I'll play with that sometime when I've got my measurement rig all set up.

This is me playing with new construction techniques. The box is entirely miter joints, "birch-ply", with a 1/4" walnut inlay.

They sound pretty good! I was worried they'd be a little bass starved in the sealed box, but they're not that bad at all, and since I'm using them near-field and generally not cranking them too much, they'll take a pretty good deal of bass boost to suit listening tastes with no ill effect.

I get to keep these ones Next up, a similar styled box with Alpair10s, ported, for my roommate!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bevelbox-complete2.jpg (142.2 KB, 3082 views)
File Type: jpg bevelbox-pair.jpg (386.0 KB, 790 views)
Old 25th February 2010, 10:34 PM   #370
diyAudio Member

wow! i mean is it a wacom tablet monitor?

btw your building is gorgeus! with the colors of the monitor and the walls they do a very good job at visually disappear.
hope i had your skills at putting wood togheter...

since its an all computer rig you can try something like the sealed alpair-5 pushed to 20hz flat, to see where the chr-70 can arrive nearfield... there is a thread here explaining how to get powerful VST equalizer under win and foobar

ps. are you using a right-handed mouse with your left hand?

Hide this!Advertise here!