Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bud,

Have read a lot of good things about the Alp 7. I have the Alp 12 (stock not EnABLed), - I'm greatly appreciating their refined presentation (first thing that came to my mind after listening) - so clear, yet not harsh in any way . Dave says Alp 7, 10.2, and 12 all are of the same family, so your EnABLed Alp 7s must be superb. Are these drivers going to be used for your EnABLed cabinet experiment?

Fostex despite their shouty nature have something in them... I can't exactly say what, but it works - you end up listening to them. :)

- Zia

Location, location, location...

The CHR-Kens sound even better now... driver burn in? No, Plenty of hours on them already... rather a matter of placement.

Tried out 2 rooms, both larger than 260 sq ft. Speakers 6-8 feet apart, close to the back wall, toed in, listening position - 9-12 feet away from speakers. With tracks with good bass line, you can get easily fooled into thinking there are woofers or a sub somewhere. Bass is deep, has very good definition. Vocals are clear and as said before, plenty of details.

I found the amount and quality of bass from the CHR-Kens amazing. And they can play plenty loud even with 3.5 watts (same amp as Doorman)... with an amp with a heftier OPT I guess bass will have even greater authority.

All said and done these are monsters! :D

If I want to be picky, I can only mention that at 8-9 feet distance they are still slightly bright for me with some of the female vocals... will it be possible to attenuate that with a circuit?

-Zia

Right the Zobel... bought the parts and have already lost them... really need to try this out this weekend.

Dave,

Since wiring in series will probably not raise the SPL, then what benefits besides less driver excursion can derived from a twin front driver design like the Twin CHR-Ken (vs CHR-Ken)?

-Zia

Right the Zobel... bought the parts and have already lost them... really need to try this out this weekend.

Dave,

Since wiring in series will probably not raise the SPL, then what benefits besides less driver excursion can derived from a twin front driver design like the Twin CHR-Ken (vs CHR-Ken)?

-Zia

Higher potential output and less distortion, depending on how it's implemented would be guess.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Getting ambitious - CHR-70 for nearfield listening application

Understand that the Alp 7 would be the best choice in the 4 inch driver range for studio monitor type of application.

What about CHR-70? Is it possible to do an entry level studio monitor? these drivers might not be as revealing or have have the finesse of the Alps but still can play pretty detailed.

-Zia

Lotus^2 MBVR

Dave,

A few questions on Lotus^2 MBVR:

1. Side driver center distance from edge of front baffle: 3.5" as you suggest earlier in the thread?

2. Side driver center height from base - ~599 mm?

3. Minimum listening distance for double horn mouth integration - 6 feet or 8 feet?

Have been planning to build this for quite some time. Now that I have both the carpet underlay and felt, I can start. :)

Thanks,
Zia

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1. Side driver center distance from edge of front baffle: 3.5" as you suggest earlier in the thread?

As close as is practical.

2. Side driver center height from base - ~599 mm?

See above. Centre of 2 drivers should be centred about where 1 would go.

3. Minimum listening distance for double horn mouth integration - 6 feet or 8 feet?

Say 20-25% further than they are tall.

dave

Jimbro,

EL166 MLTL, Lotus^2 - are you looking for some low end thump also? :)

-Zia
I want it all! When I lived in a larger house I had Altec A7s and then some 604s. I like all types of music including big band and big orchestra. So now I've got a small room, no Altecs but I love full range. I'll probably end up trying lots of things. Not a lot of time or budget right now though.

Going local, going green

After some good deal of looking around got hold of this locally made jute-felt carpet underlay. Looks like the thickness is ~5mm (placed it beside a 5mm thickness glass sheet and took the pic). It has some backing underneath pic 2).

Would 2-3 layers (with or without the backing) of this work for lining vs 1/2" of wool felt or fiberglass lining?

-Zia

Attachments

• Jute felt 01.jpg
    Jute felt 01.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,076
  • Jute felt 02.jpg
    Jute felt 02.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 1,073
Lotus MBVR - single and dual driver designs

Dave,

Would I be able to get away with this design using one driver? ;)It's more stylish than the square top.

I am worried that the TV console might end up being too close to inward firing side drivers. Positioning the speakers for outward firing is an option though...

-Zia

Attachments

• Lotus dual driver.jpg
    Lotus dual driver.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 941
Dave,

Looking at Motosapien's Coniston^2 build thread, I have attempted to color code and show the areas of installing the lining - does this look ok?

If I've got too much please let me know. Think I'll be sealing the cabs this time.

-Zia

Attachments

• Lotus^2_lining 02.jpg
    Lotus^2_lining 02.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 924
First CHR-70 Build

Hello all. Foremost, thank you all for sharing your wealth of knowledge on both the drivers and the build. I have just completed my first build which is based on the CHR-70 till 70 design. While there were certainly some challenges for me the hardest part was waiting for the completion of the gen 3 CHR-70 driver. They only have ~10hours on them at this point but all I can say is WOW. I cannot wait until I can hear them at proper listening volume.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 873
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.