Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2009, 06:28 PM   #261
vaughn is offline vaughn  United States
diyAudio Member

These new designs look great Dave! I have been holding off on the Lotus because of low WAF factor but these look very living room friendly. I have my chr-70's up for sale but this changes the situation.

I do have one question...

If I need to place my speakers about 12" from the rear wall do you think the version with the driver firing up would be better than the opposing "bipole" scheme?
Old 11th August 2009, 07:27 PM   #262
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by vaughn

If I need to place my speakers about 12" from the rear wall do you think the version with the driver firing up would be better than the opposing "bipole" scheme?
Yes... if you get it this close (or even right up againt the wall) you will likely need to damp the port a bit to curtail the bottom. As well you might want to consider a variation that tips the top driver slightly forward (i just posted an illustration in the other thread that will better explain what i mean)

dave
Old 11th August 2009, 07:50 PM   #263
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vaughn
These new designs look great Dave! I have been holding off on the Lotus because of low WAF factor but these look very living room friendly. I have my chr-70's up for sale but this changes the situation.

I do have one question...

While we were also comparing the metal coned CHR70 to paper coned EL70, I quite preferred top mounted version "Castle" as Dave likes to call them.

Of course, I can't think of any reason either driver couldn't be used in either box. Just verify your amp's comfort with low impedance loads before wiring 2 of these up - we ran ours in series and connected to 8 ohm tap on EL34 P/P triode amp.
Old 31st August 2009, 02:52 AM   #264
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HareBrained View Post
Please post your honest impressions of the design when you've had a chance to listen. I found it took only about 20 hours of playback before the output started to crystallize.
I have them for about a week now. Overall – that’s exactly I was looking for.
Design is not too complex, to be impossible to implement, same time not too simple – to be interesting and challenging enough.
I like the way they sound – clean and powerful. Way better than my old Quest 5.1 set (to be fair I paid 100CAD for the whole set including active sub).
Treble is incomparable to my other pair of OB-RAW with ribbons, and base is incomparable with my Cerwin-Vega floor standers. But that’s PC speakers – sitting in front of me right now, playing music really-really sweet. They not take half of my room. They even not take a lot of my desk. They don’t mind to play in the corner, right against the wall.
So, one more time: thank you HareBrained, really like them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3261small .JPG (78.3 KB, 1149 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3407small.JPG (83.9 KB, 3347 views)
Old 1st September 2009, 06:43 AM   #265
dougr is offline dougr  United States
diyAudio Member

Is the minimum impedance in use >= the 4ohm spec? Has anyone confirmed this with measurements?
Old 2nd September 2009, 03:29 AM   #266
geepee is offline geepee  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default chr-70 Pensil Design

Hi, quick question on the chr-70 Pensil design, The measurments on the plan from the MA website, are they internal dimensions? Also the figure of 393mm down for the driver, is that to the driver centre or to the top of the driver where the line arrowhead points to? sorry if this is a dumb question but i am dumb...

Thanks

GP
Old 2nd September 2009, 03:44 AM   #267
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

This might help

dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MA-Pensil70-map-310709.pdf (138.6 KB, 294 views)
Old 2nd September 2009, 04:02 AM   #268
geepee is offline geepee  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks. It sure does help...

GP
Old 3rd September 2009, 04:53 AM   #269
qingcai is offline qingcai  United States
diyAudio Member

waitting for more building pictures.
Old 4th September 2009, 04:51 AM   #270
preiter is offline preiter  United States
diyAudio Member

Is there still a US distributor for these drivers? Alpair USA apparently doesn't carry them anymore.

Hide this!Advertise here!