Based on sonics... which do you prefer ?

Based on sonics which do you prefer.

• Ruby

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Opal

Votes: 19 57.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mooly, you're on a roll!!

Just used Nero, haven't looked at comments yet, apart from PMA having doing a full blown ABX. Don't know why an ABX would be necessary, :), pretty obvious diferences ... track itself seems to have very noticeable artifacts, very clear in the left channel - something clearly not right ...

Ruby is way in front, Opal has had a lot of detail excised, high frequencies are well down, which may make it sound 'smoother' to some people - at the beginning, the track is quite noisy, and this almost doesn't register in the Opal version.

Last edited:
Richard,

I need your help here. I have no preference between these 2 files, but I have 100% success in ABX and I am sure I would have it even if ABX was repeated 20 times (boring and tiring, then). What does it mean, how do you translate the result? Like, YES, there is a difference? OK. But how much helpful is such information?

kgrlee has mentioned several times. First we find the true GPs, then we listen to his comments. This comments is what we are after.

Many blind test listeners can pick up differences only by focusing on certain small part of the recording, and you're right, this means nothing.

So what is your comment and analysis of the difference?

ADD: I hope later we will have two files of completely different song, but from the same album to ensure equal recording quality.

Last edited:
Many blind test listeners can pick up differences only by focusing on certain small part of the recording, and you're right, this means nothing.
And what you mean by, "nothing"? If there are audible differences, which people can pick up consciously via various techniques, this means they're different!! Therefore, one is more 'correct' than the other, or one will be preferable to listen to vs. the other -- I thought that was the whole point of the exercise ... or is it to bamboozle ourselves, to convince our intellectual innerselves that there is never anything of significance in this game ...? :p, :D

And what you mean by, "nothing"? If there are audible differences, which people can pick up consciously via various techniques, this means they're different!! Therefore, one is more 'correct' than the other, or one will be preferable to listen to vs. the other -- I thought that was the whole point of the exercise ... or is it to bamboozle ourselves, to convince our intellectual innerselves that there is never anything of significance in this game ...? :p, :D

My distortion (noise, clips, etc) blind test with Mooly's fruit files, as I have stated, is 100% accurate and repeatable. I did it by calculating the number of "clip" on each file. But this is useless for giving subjective value or preference of the files.

Another example is you can have 2 identical files but you add small thing (digitally) at certain point (in time). You can always differentiate the 2 files because of this, but can you recognize that they are exactly the same files? That's why I have that idea of using different song (of the same album or recording quality), so there is no way you can differentiate them easily.

ADD:
If the song is different, you cannot focus on how good the treble is in one file etc, but you have to feel the musicality, the fatigue, etc. So we segregate between subjective "preference" and absolute quality of the reproduction (because imo, "fatigue" is very important because it makes you enjoy the music or it makes you hate it).

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The results to ignore are Chalk & Cheese comments from deaf Golden Pinnae that are inconsistent & unreliable.
I don't understand why you are hanging out in these listening test threads. Looking back thru all three, I can find only one of your posts that might be seen as positive. Mostly it's just complaints about test procedures and so called "Golden Pinnae".

Do you have any positive thoughts on the tests, or those who took the time to listen and participate? Did you listen or vote? Criticism is healthy and necessary, however I can't see anything but that in your posts. Do you think that putting the same effort into something more constructive could be worthwhile?

I don't understand why you are hanging out in these listening test threads. Looking back thru all three, I can find only one of your posts that might be seen as positive. Mostly it's just complaints about test procedures and so called "Golden Pinnae".

Do you have any positive thoughts on the tests, or those who took the time to listen and participate? Did you listen or vote? Criticism is healthy and necessary, however I can't see anything but that in your posts. Do you think that putting the same effort into something more constructive could be worthwhile?
Pano, I was a true DBLT guru in my previous life.

But today, there are so few properly conducted Blind Listening Tests that I'm always trying to extract good data from slightly wonky tests.

It should be pretty obvious, I'm doing my best to get Mooly & PMA to do another test, preferably using ABC and involve SY and myself in the planning.

At the moment, the paired tests without ABX controls, though interesting, have NO significance. I'm hoping to nudge future tests so we get some significance and turn the data already collected from NO significance .. to being part of something which is of importance to those who would design better sounding stuff.

I'm sorry if you don't find my comments constructive. :mad:

I like to think I have been some help in making the other 2 polls, especially PMAs, slightly more useful ... secret polling, comments revealed only after all results in, etc ... such that the data can still help increase significance if a second test is conducted. :)

If I seem obsessed with finding out who is a true golden pinnae and who are the deaf Golden Pinnae, that's because anyone who is seriously conducting tests of this sort soon finds out that there are many deaf Golden Pinnae. :eek:

Only later, if he is lucky, he will find some true golden pinnae ... and if he is even luckier, he will not have offended the true ones and will manage to keep them on his Blind Listening Test panel.

I am humbled and privileged to have been able to do this in my previous life with some of the best ears in the business.

For this poll, so many people have posted comments and identified them with the 'presentations' that any result would have little, if any, significance and probably can't help improve significance of any subsequent test.

Even the best ears in the business (including those on my Blind Listening Test panel) are affected by this type of peer pressure.

So for this poll at least, I'm going to consider it just a bit of fun and avoid commenting unless asked a specific question.

Last edited:
Richard, I can prepare a similar files to that I have already prepared, add the third file and then you + Stuart would perform the test. Not me. OK? I am usable in circuit design, level matching, avoiding hum, avoiding RFI influence etc., you are a DBT GURU. Is it OK?
Pavel, I'm presently a beach bum and don't have a sound system permanently set up. In fact my system is presently set up to do detailed measurements of about 100 microphones. I do this in a shed which is also where I sleep so things are a bit disorganised. :D

But if you do prepare 3 files for an ABC test, I'm honour bound to at least try the test and perhaps make a fool of myself. I have not done this since I left the civilised world in 1998 :)

I can't speak for Stuart but I hope he will do the test too.

It's also about time I downloaded foobar and learnt to use its ABX facilities.

Don't tell me if you repeat one of the 'presentations' ... so it can be 3 completely different things, 2 with one repeated, or even most evilly, all three the same. :eek:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.