Based on sonics... which do you prefer ?

Based on sonics which do you prefer.

• Ruby

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Opal

Votes: 19 57.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Following on from my ultimate op-amp shootout, which you all seemed to enjoy, here is a little teaser for light relief. There is no right and wrong and answer, just have a listen to each clip and say which you prefer and why.

There are just two files, Ruby and Opal, each plays for around 80 seconds. These are the original files.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b216mtjkm621bka/Ruby.wav
https://www.dropbox.com/s/19yx47avl9pfzku/Opal.wav

Edit The following is a level matched file kindly provided by Pavel (PMA) for Opal. The full link reads Opal@Ruby so don't worry seeing ruby in the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtvr9nhpsudgke5/Opal@Ruby.wav

Hi Mooly,
good test ;)

Here is my A-B-X result. Hope I am not asked to repeat it 16 times, it would be 100% then as well :D

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.1.6
2013/11/19 13:05:10

File A: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Dokumenty\Hudba\Ruby.wav
File B: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Dokumenty\Hudba\Opal.wav

13:05:10 : Test started.
13:06:19 : 01/01 50.0%
13:06:48 : 02/02 25.0%
13:07:22 : 03/03 12.5%
13:07:57 : 04/04 6.3%
13:08:30 : 05/05 3.1%
13:09:03 : 06/06 1.6%
13:09:31 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 6/6 (1.6%)

P.S.: you must have a FM radio near when you are recording?
I have not voted which file I do prefer, I have just performed the strictly scientific A-B-X test :D

Attachments

• opal_ruby.PNG
    opal_ruby.PNG
    474 KB · Views: 705
Last edited:
Richard,

I need your help here. I have no preference between these 2 files, but I have 100% success in ABX and I am sure I would have it even if ABX was repeated 20 times (boring and tiring, then). What does it mean, how do you translate the result? Like, YES, there is a difference? OK. But how much helpful is such information?

Yes, I have made a software analysis AFTER I have finished my ABX test. I was curious what makes such a huge sound difference (I was really surprised how big the sound difference was). So I have made an analysis, but I am saying nothing else than that I found 19kHz pilot. 19kHz or 15.625kHz is quite usual and it indicates that immunity against RFI is not perfect. Unfortunately, you will find it at studio recordings as well and then, in studio record, it is IMO unacceptable.

I am not revealing more ;)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes, I have made a software analysis AFTER I have finished my ABX test. I was curious what makes such a huge sound difference (I was really surprised how big the sound difference was). So I have made an analysis, but I am saying nothing else than that I found 19kHz pilot. 19kHz or 15.625kHz is quite usual and it indicates that immunity against RFI is not perfect. Unfortunately, you will find it at studio recordings as well and then, in studio record, it is IMO unacceptable.

I am not revealing more ;)

I'm not au fait with software analysis but I can well believe it shows as a huge difference. I'm no stranger to 15625hz line frequency (tv repair background).

Quote "I am not revealing more ;) Go on, you know you want to :D

I have no preference between these 2 files, but I have 100% success in ABX and I am sure I would have it even if ABX was repeated 20 times (boring and tiring, then). What does it mean, how do you translate the result? Like, YES, there is a difference? OK. But how much helpful is such information?
This is a perfectly valid & important result.

I have often had this from my true golden pinnae. The actual comments are usually valuable here.

The results to ignore are Chalk & Cheese comments from deaf Golden Pinnae that are inconsistent & unreliable. :eek:

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Pavel has very kindly produced a level matched file for "Opal" such that it is the same level as Ruby.

I'm going to put that file up as an alternative (but still leave the originals in place too).

It will just take a few minutes :)

And thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.