Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

RCruz said:
Thank you Simon... this leaves room for other improvements. Like output caps etc....;)

Any news about your machine ?

Ricardo

4 regs over 2 regs on the discrete brings small improvements so really it's one of those mods to do much later on when you are trying to squeeze more from the unit.

I love my Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold caps, they really do sound like 'no cap'

Simons player will be worked on today as I now have a second hand decoder in my possession.

Brent

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:
There are some that break everything, and some that fix everything... :D

BTW, Ricardo, your +/-15V supply will work fine on the discrete PCB. I will simulate with this supply voltage just to be sure, and let you know if small adjustments have to be made.

Hi Ray

I am planning to set up a discrete output following your design, with a help from Lee.:D

I plan to use a +-15v psu based on two spower.

As I am not using four sregs, should I use some locally placed caps after the sregs (c6 and c7 in your document) ?

What should be the best cap values ?

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:

I use 220u Cerafines and have loads of bass.

Thank you Simon.. I was just preparing to ask you what are those red caps in your setup.

Thomo said:
I doubt very much that there'd be any difference.

I also use 220uF, as does Brent.

Hi Lee

As I am using +-15v, should I use bigger 220uF or the 16v BG will do ?

Regards

Ricardo

Might sound like an odd question, but is the bitclock in these players 48fs? Looking at the service manual I think so but I'm not sure.

I once tried the I2S to a TDA1543 and it worked absolutely fine, but that's a (very) basic R2R dac so doesn't give a sh!t, but am I right in thinking the I2S is no good for feeding to newer dacs as they commonly require 64fs bit clocks?

Ray - this question is probably up your straat, having built dacs!

Is it:

BCK = 48fs = 48 * 44.1kHz = 2.1168MHz
LRCK = fs = 44.1kHz
(System clock = 384*fs = 384 * 44100 = 16.9344MHz)

So am I right in thinking that for 2x16-bit words, the bit clock only theoretically needs to be 32fs but they chose 48fs back then, and now 64fs seems to be the norm?

Presumably it would have to got through some kind of SRC to be usable with a newer DAC chips. I'm a bit out of my depth here I think... :xeye: