Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Time to bump this topic back on top, it's been inactive way too long ;) .

After doing some other projects first - S/PDIF switch (finished) and resurrection of a nice Loewe CRT TV (ongoing) - time to revisit the Shigaclone.
After removing the unnecessary capacitors, the only other mod I did was the replacement of the original PSU-wiring with some of decent diameter.

Also, for the first time I did an AB-comparison between my Primare D20 and the Shigaclone/Micromega DAC1 combination. If they were in a race, they would finish neck and neck. At this time I can't really say which I prefer, so alike are they in performance. I still haven't replaced any of the remaining capacitors or added weight to the whole thing...so that seems promising!

Finis coronat opus

Attachments

• klon4.jpg
    klon4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,145
On Friday I received my powder-coated enclosure parts (front, back and top panels) so it is finaly assembled. At the moment only the toslink is active, when the new DAC is finished the BNC will be used.

The left black button is power, the right the TOC reset. The hole is for the IR, still looking for a matching window/eye to cover that hole. The remote is used for control.

The top wooden/metal thingie is to protect the users eyes from the laser. The CD slips easily under the thingie... it looks perhaps more fiddly than it is in practise. But hey... safety first.

Thank you all for the inspiration!!!

Jeroen

Attachments

• dsc00877.jpg
    dsc00877.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,100
JeroenR said:
On Friday I received my powder-coated enclosure parts (front, back and top panels) so it is finaly assembled. At the moment only the toslink is active, when the new DAC is finished the BNC will be used.

The left black button is power, the right the TOC reset. The hole is for the IR, still looking for a matching window/eye to cover that hole. The remote is used for control.

The top wooden/metal thingie is to protect the users eyes from the laser. The CD slips easily under the thingie... it looks perhaps more fiddly than it is in practise. But hey... safety first.

Thank you all for the inspiration!!!

Jeroen

Simplicity is a beautiful thing..:hbeat: