Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

BMW850 said:

:)

That is a big step forwards if you change the old PSU with the new one.

I use a 96VA EI transformer 2x12volt, 2x MSR860 Skottky diodes and 1x 1000uF Blakgate FK and 1x 1000uF Blackgate STD.

Success,
Rudy

Is there a scematic for a PSU for the shigaclone (trying to use the search function, but it only directs me to complete thread and not the post where it is mentioned?)?

You use a 2x12VAC transformer or a 2x9VAC transformer (rectified to ~12v)?

attached is one of Audio1st's fine schematics which I'm sure he won't mind me posting.

this is the method that most folk have used - using a CT secondary and only 2 diodes.

So far as the transformer secondary is concerned - it's not too important whether you use 0-9 0-9 or 0-12 0-12. Provided you connect it CT and there is enough headroom for the 7808 to work correctly.
I use a 0-7.5 0-7.5 traffo - this gives me 11.3V dc once rectified and smoothed at the input of the 7808 - enough for the regulator to reliably generate 8v. I personally wouldn't go below that.

The higher the input voltage to the regulator the hotter it's going to get - mine just about gets warm.

Attachments

• full wave ct.jpg
    full wave ct.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,144
I did not modify the super regs....mind you there must NOT be an elco after the super reg....

I use the Andrew Super Reg after the Peter Daniel Regulation and it was clearly an extra improvement...more body and much more quiet presentation than before.

I am a bit surprised to hear your results...

It seems that you can modify the super reg with an 0.01 cap and (10 ohm?) resistor in serie...I believe between "op1" and sense 0V )....out of my head....

ALSWR has the elco's on the supregboard chosen for technical reasons so NOT how it sounds...so you can do some cap-rolling...:D

herewegoagain said:
I use a 0-7.5 0-7.5 traffo - this gives me 11.3V dc once rectified and smoothed at the input of the 7808 - enough for the regulator to reliably generate 8v. I personally wouldn't go below that.

The higher the input voltage to the regulator the hotter it's going to get - mine just about gets warm.

Rule of thumb with 78xx/79xx voltage regulators:
Vin-Vout = 3V min. to get good regulation. More will not necessarily lead to better regulation but it will lead to more heat.

herewegoagain said:
attached is one of Audio1st's fine schematics which I'm sure he won't mind me posting.

this is the method that most folk have used - using a CT secondary and only 2 diodes.

So far as the transformer secondary is concerned - it's not too important whether you use 0-9 0-9 or 0-12 0-12. Provided you connect it CT and there is enough headroom for the 7808 to work correctly.

Thank you :)
Not sure about abbreviations, what does CT mean?

So I can use a 80VA 0-12 0-12 VAC trafo without problems using your attached schematic?

Kind regards

i must say Erik - CONGRATULATIONS....!!!!
big project finished for you...
i am still strugling with mine...

i have made another power supply....
it is using a transformer that has 12V at the output, diode gretz using 4 diodes MR914, one Black Gate standard 1000uF/25V in parallel with 4.7uF/50V Black Gate N series, than 7808 regulator from OnSemi, another 1000uF/25V standard BG and another one in it's parallel that is 4.7uF/50V N series....

also - another mod is putting the transport on the copper plates - that are 10mm thick....
well - i am still using analogue output since i do not have a dac right now - but i am not that happy with the result - it seems to me that the original psu and the transport on 10mm mdf were sounding better... crazy - right?!
i am waitin for Black Gates to burn in and i am open for suggestions if somebody might have one... but right now i am not that happy with the sound - my BG's are arround 50 hours burned in....