Modify behringer DEQ2496?

I greet
what is on regulator Vout LM317?

Attachments

• deq2496_regulator1.jpg
    deq2496_regulator1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,117
Haven't touch my deq2496 for a while as I was working on my harddisk media player (TVIX) with I2S to TDA1541 (yes, that setup sounds really good, if someone can tell me how to interface I2S with deq, I will be very happy...)

Anyway, last night, I tap the ak4393 direct out to a tamura 300:600 tranny, it sounds really good, only got one channel working so far...

But the PS, the 9V is really really important, it feeds the 7805 that provides all chips that uses 5V, this includes the dac of cause.
And the 9V doesn't seems to go thru any inductor to reduce noise, so should be a good idea to add a coil and more caps for that 9v. The 7805 gets really hot with means its drawing quite a bit of current.

The LM317 will take the 5V and output 2.5V, so should be for the dsp chips. I found that there is a ceramic directly at the LM327 output, a real no no for this type of regulator, so I took it out.

Instead of improving the supply to the 7805, you would be better of removing the 7805's from the board, and using outboard discrete regulators like jung, super-jung or similar boards. Selectronic sells a replacement regulator kit at an affordable price, or you can do your own.
Hans

So I drifted over to the Slim Devices website, and they are coming out with a new device http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_transporter.html called the transporter... which they claim uses the "Miracle DAC" - AK4396

ok, so, I have played with AKM dacs before, since my behringer has an AK4393... so i head over to AKM's website... and it looks like a really nice chip... and it looks like its pin-per-pin compatable with the 4393, 4394, and 4395!

but the best part, it needs NO output caps! none at all!!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I am definately going to see about trying to find some of these IC's and try swapping out the DAC in my DEQ2496 and making a new, capacitor-less, LPF and see what happens :)

I've got a SRC2496, which supposedly uses the same 4393 DAC, and I was looking to do that DAC swap as well, or at least bumping up to the 4395. Have you found a source for small quantities of the AKM DACs? The only place I've found so far is DIP international in the UK, and their minimum quantity seems to be 50... :(

One thing to think about is that those filter caps *are* in your signal path, even though there's no DC blocking caps required. Obviously, it's easy enough to get high quality caps in there, but I was thinking of going passive with a transformer, say a Lundahl line-level or somesuch.

FLECOM said:
i was just wondering about output transformers, instead of the $200 dac output transformers that were linked to two pages ago couldent you use these sowter transformers and still get a balanced line out?

http://www.sowter.co.uk/specs/3603.htm

Here is what Sowter answered when asked about it:

Hello Alain

3603 would be ideal provided the output impedance of the DAC is 1000
ohms or less. The load should be as high as possible so your high
impedance amp will be ideal.

http://www.sowter.co.uk/acatalog/SOWTER_ISOLATOR_BALANCERS_2.html#a9

Best regards

Brian Sowter
SOWTER AUDIO TRANSFORMERS (E A Sowter Ltd)

This transformer will handle the balanced/unbalanced conversion as well. That must be a good candidate but I definitely don't have the knowledge to really recommend it;)