Build thread - building the Subbu DAC V3 SE - Page 58 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2014, 05:34 PM   #571
syyma is offline syyma  United States
diyAudio Member

The other way around. The dot should be at the left upper corner if the out put connector face to you. The photo that showing the dot at the lower right corner now.

Sidney
Old 18th January 2014, 05:39 PM   #572
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Exactly. It would have been better to ask first and solder later. And please solve the output wiring too and clean the PCB from excess flux.
Old 18th January 2014, 06:07 PM   #573
lucylu is offline lucylu  England
diyAudio Member

Its not soldered on yet! look a bit closer instead of picking up things that are not finished ,
That's one reason I do not like asking questions with a photo and Thank you Sidney

Last edited by lucylu; 18th January 2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 18th January 2014, 07:02 PM   #574
syyma is offline syyma  United States
diyAudio Member

C17 needs to give way in order to put Q2 in place. Change C17 with ceramic cap. Fellow member GaryB mention it awhile back. I did that and noticeable, I don't want to say a big step up but very significant.

Sidney
Old 18th January 2014, 07:16 PM   #575
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

There is a problem here. The second picture in post #1 shows the dot in the correct orientation. It is reversed in the next one.

In post #6 JP states that Q2 needs to be reversed but no reference to which photo, so there could be some confusion. I need to straighten that out so I made a composite keying on the power supply for Q2.

That means the "Dot at the thick line" indication in post #1 is also incorrect, adding more confusion.

Before I make corrections to the first post - please confirm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Q Otientation.jpg (159.0 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by bcmbob; 18th January 2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 18th January 2014, 08:01 PM   #576

No problem Bob as we're still breathing. The picture you just posted is right so for you guys it is post #575 that is right. I am flabbergasted in what ways I can make clear how to solder Q2 Many 2.6 DACs have been soldered and no one asked....

Something like this ? "The text written on Q2 should be aligned with the text C17 on the PCB" ?!?! You decide as it is your language. I can make it perfectly clear in german/dutch language if needed. After some thinking a small yellow dot on the PCB indicating pin 1 would have made it better but you all really should be able to read datasheets and follow PCB tracks when you want to build a device like this. No excuse but this is a DIY thing not a kit or ready made device. Any builder should take the challenge to build this thing with ....OMG... some own thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylu View Post
Its not soldered on yet! look a bit closer instead of picking up things that are not finished ,
That's one reason I do not like asking questions with a photo and Thank you Sidney
IMO no human eye can see that but you are on the right track by asking first. The photo normally helps a lot so no reservations about that please.

Last edited by jean-paul; 18th January 2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 18th January 2014, 08:30 PM   #577
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
..... a small yellow dot on the PCB indicating pin 1 would have made it better but you really should be able to read datasheets and follow PCB tracks......
That's exactly what I had to do to understand my mistake. Do I get any creds at all for " Better late than never"?
Old 18th January 2014, 08:36 PM   #578

Bob you are at row one in the class and best student in DAC building. Full credits. It is painful though as you are good in letting me know my own errors. Thank you for that !

"Better done with errors than never started"

Last edited by jean-paul; 18th January 2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 18th January 2014, 08:52 PM   #579

Just thinking: what would happen if all the builders would show up in a pub just to meet and discuss this DAC with some beer ? Hours of talk about the power LED ? C17 ? Connectors ? GaryB on polymer caps ? Subbu about still tasting the glue of the envelopes he used to sent the boards in ? Frustrated guys that did not get to the finish as they soldered Q2 wrong because I did not indicate that on the board ? Then hay forks, torches and a posse going after us

Let's not do that.

Last edited by jean-paul; 18th January 2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 18th January 2014, 09:00 PM   #580
diyAudio Member

I'm blushing

Where did that invite go?

I think it's better if we meet at your house. No doubt your butler staff could do it up right.

Hide this!Advertise here!