Build thread - building the Subbu DAC V3 SE

Hi BillWojo

I've got both of your orders forms.
First form concerns PCBs/ES9023 chip/Parts Kits for DAC & PSU.
Second one is about Assembly Service to get a fully tested and working DAC/PSU set.
I've got a 220V/110V adapter to check 110V PSU.

You're fully registered.
Thank you ;)

Regards

Phil

Last edited:
Hi all, I spoke a few times of a new 5V PSU intended for Squeezebox Touch players etc. and it could also feed the V3 (it was not intended for that originally). Last week the boards came in after a very long wait. I assembled a few and it performs quite good. I needed only 2 of them myself but a Group Buy maybe is possible. I will open a separate thread.

Since many posts are off topic I think this post would not hurt ;)

Jean-Paul,
I tried the v3 psu with my nanodigi and it sounds quite good. But it needs something like 150ma and the psu overheats to point of shutdown in about 20 minutes. Is there an adjustment I could make to maintain cool operation? I tried small heatsink on the bd140 but only offers slight improvement. Thanks. Best regards.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
With the BOM transformer and an adequate heatsink on the transistor 200 mA is no problem. Did you measure current draw ? Did you measure voltage on the filter cap ? A too high voltage difference over the reg/pass transistor will result in too much useless heat and unreliable results. Good old P=UxI !

You could mount the transistor (insulated !!!) on a lying larger heatsink. So soldered from the board bottom. Larger currents are possible but the limiting resistor has to be changed then. In all cases transformer voltage should not be higher than the BOM transformer has.

Anyway for larger currents I designed a simple low noise 5 V 3 A PSU. You will have to be patient as it performs how I like it but I need some more test results from others. Please see the other thread for that. That one won't be afraid of 3 A (max).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/264185-squeezebox-touch-psu.html#post4107291

Last edited:
With the BOM transformer and an adequate heatsink on the transistor 200 mA is no problem. Did you measure current draw ? Did you measure voltage on the filter cap ? A too high voltage difference over the reg/pass transistor will result in too much useless heat and unreliable results. Good old P=UxI !

You could mount the transistor (insulated !!!) on a lying larger heatsink. So soldered from the board bottom. Larger currents are possible but the limiting resistor has to be changed then. In all cases transformer voltage should not be higher than the BOM transformer has.

Anyway for larger currents I designed a simple low noise 5 V 3 A PSU. You will have to be patient as it performs how I like it but I need some more test results from others. Please see the other thread for that. That one won't be afraid of 3 A (max).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/264185-squeezebox-touch-psu.html#post4107291

Ok J-P. The spec sheet lists 150ma so if that is accurate there should be plenty of cool power. I will start measuring.

I will try to be patient. Your psu sounds fantastic with the nanodigi.

Regards.

Finally got mine put together. Thanks for the great design!

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 274
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 269
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 268
Mine is making progress also...

Almost finished with the case --> sides made from walnut with a stripe of very dark exotic something (not expensive ;) ) in the middle;
signal and power supply divided by a massive aluminum "wall", lid and some details coming in the next weeks. After being disassembled for many weeks it's playing again, and enjoying it minute after minute.

Attachments

• board-7.jpg
    board-7.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 301
Hmm... I'm testing my board right now but I'm unfortunately not getting any sound out. The power supply gives a steady 4.87V and each of the regulator test points is spot on. No offset at the outputs, but also nothing in the way of music

Any suggestions? I'm hoping one of you can tell me I missed something super obvious :)

Attachments

• 20141225_215523.jpg
    20141225_215523.jpg
    762.9 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Great :)

If you can and when you find yur ideal cabinet, you shoud try genuine 50 ohms wire for the spidf output then the main wire link between the streamer and the Subbu V3 DAC. Simple and great improvement if not done yet. A simple TV cable or a Mogami coax are good. You can also source in your country Belden cables easily. Better with BNC 50 ohms plugs but if you need RCAs, please stay with the 50 ohms wires ! You can swap the green screw plug in your definitive version ! (mine is a direct BNC pcb plug).

(For a better bass and spatial soundstage)

cheers

Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you can and when you find yur ideal cabinet, you shoud try genuine 50 ohms wire for the spidf output then the main wire link between the streamer and the Subbu V3 DAC.

Eldam,
Did you mean to write 75 ohm cable and connectors for the SPDIF? That is the standard for SPDIF and the Subbu DAC is designed to use 75 ohm connections. I use 75 ohm connectors and cables in my DACs and find that it is a big improvement. Using 50 ohm cable and connectors would be a step in the wrong direction.

---Gary