Build thread - building the Subbu DAC V3 SE

Thanks Gary for the correction. You can add to my dyslexia a beginning of Alzhzeimer... or maybe a trace of wine effect:rolleyes: or maybe my poor IQ (which is equal to the temperature of my dog less the temperature of a bottle of wine which the total is less than your foot print :bawling: !)

Yes of course : 75 ohms. My bad ! Sony/Philips interface was designed with 75 ohms in mind even if they put RCAs connectors in their devices.

To have followed the advices of others and try both with the Subbu rca and hifi cable then after all 75 ohms BNC and75 ohms TV cable : the bass, bandwitdh in the low end and soundstage is defintly better with the second. Some testimonied a near result or equal with just a 75 ohms wire but keeping the RCAs connector.

Of course other improvement in the Gary thread add more improvements yet !:)

Finally one more Subbu/Jean-Paul dac deliver sweet music! My first smd build and had a few hours when nothing worked and find out that i had been little too careful about the XO! No electric contact on the four XO pads! Put more flux in and reflow with the tiniest iron i had and success!:)

Impressive sound from the first minute.

Special thank´s to Korben69 that helped me with parts and through the build.

Attachments

• diy dac (1 av 1).jpg
    diy dac (1 av 1).jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 225
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Finally one more Subbu/Jean-Paul dac deliver sweet music! My first smd build and had a few hours when nothing worked and find out that i had been little too careful about the XO! No electric contact on the four XO pads! Put more flux in and reflow with the tiniest iron i had and success!:)

Looks good, I think you soldered the beads after making this picture ? I see you adapted to the mods which is a good thing. You also choose the best cap for C32 and you choose the original tantalum cap on the XO which is also a good decision. Must be a very good sounding example of the V3. I would reverse one of the output caps as I believe in audio voodoo ;)

I am glad you like it, it is nice to know there is another satisfied builder.

Last edited:
Looks good, I think you soldered the beads after making this picture ? I see you adapted to the mods which is a good thing. You also choose the best cap for C32 and you choose the original tantalum cap on the XO which is also a good decision. Must be a very good sounding example of the V3. I would reverse one of the output caps as I believe in audio voodoo ;)

I am glad you like it, it is nice to know there is another satisfied builder.

Thank´s Jean-Paul! Yes i forgot to take another picture after the last beads was solder in place! It´s cooking and have played music 24/7 since that:)

And yes indeed! Jawdropping sound into my system! Have tried a few nice dac´s before and did have some expectations from this but couldn´t believe that it should deliver like this:) Thank´s Jean-Paul and Subbu!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Sorry for threadjacking but if an upgrade is wished for the PSU then our new PSU can be used with quite good results. It was originally meant for use with the Squeezebox Touch but since it is a 5V power supply it can also be used with the V3 DAC (and every other device that needs 5V 3A max.). Voltage can be changed with changes to some components.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/264185-squeezebox-touch-psu.html

Hi Plan

Congrats for your SMD solders, very neat & nice job !
L6 should have been a little bit tricky to solder, wasn't it ?
Very nice shot of your built, kudos. :cool:
Giving you a helping hand was a pleasure.

Regards

Phil