DSP Xover project (part 2)

Alright we have a chapter on navigation switches, that's cool ;)

This one is nice but seems overpriced.

MOQ 5000 units? :)

here's my switch....

TSWB3NCB222LFS C&K Components | CKN10345-ND | DigiKey

I might even be able to use the scroll wheel for volume control...

Yup this one is nice. Is there a cap on top of the switch?
You might be able to use the scroll wheel for adjusting the volume and navigating in the menu, but that will require a bit of logic. We can look at a simple way to achieve this.

Just in case anybody wondered if a VFD would work OK I can confirm that at least a Noritake CU16025ECPB-U5J works just fine. Also, there were some concerns elsewhere that the tactile switched as linked to in the thread and on my pics would possibly have too severe bounce for the debounce caps on the Najda board to handle it. I can confirm that at least using the ones I have on my switch board below there seems to be no problem as navigation works fine with no extra steps. Now I'll just have to get my mechanics in order...

Attachments

• VFD1.JPG
    VFD1.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 531
  • Setup1.JPG
    Setup1.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 494
Hi Urban,

That's good news, many thanks for that.

The guy who raised the concern that the switches might have a huge bounce, that's no other than me - so I'm glad to hear I was wrong.

Looking at the pic of the display, there's one little incompatibility it seems. LCD drivers let you define custom characters on a 8x5 pixel grid and Najda uses many custom characters (for the logo, the volume bars, bass/treble, balance, arrow symbols in the menu and maybe others).

Apparently your VFD doesn't have independent pixels on the lower row: they are all grouped in a single segment. I think that if one single of the 5 pixels is turned on, then the VFD will light on the whole segment, which explains the strange look of your volume bar.

(I had posted here a few pics of the display - the volume one has slightly changed since then, showing now attenuation in dB)

I don't know how this is going to look like on their latest models. I have one on order, a large one, but with 10 weeks lead time so I might get it in July...

Best

Nick

Last edited:
So perhaps I was a bit too quick in my assessment then. Other menu items seem OK but as you say the volume bar is a little bit strange although I couldn't find a pic of how it is supposed to look. The bottom line lights up as soon as a vertical line is drawn on the charachter space but there is a straight separate line under each character space which is made up from 5x7 segments. i.e. it is not part of the character itself. Probably the model I got is a little bit special...

Attachments

• VFD_Segment.png
    VFD_Segment.png
    851.6 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Hi Nick, while working on the expansion board can you also take into consideration an alternative for us that don't need it, but instead want to connect external I2S devices?
What do you think to put in the pipeline a small PCB like the one in post #28 ?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/215379-dsp-xover-project-part-2-a-3.html

One for ep0 and one for ep1 with U.FL connectors for all the input and output I2S line.

One more question.
Is it possible to use pin#27 on ep1 (EXT_CLK - External master clock input) to have Nadja in sync with USB transport ?

Is it possible to add more analog inputs?

Yes and no.

The 'no' part: there isn't provision for adding more analogue inputs to the system.

The 'yes' part: using a mechanical switch, you can route any of your sources to Najda's analogue input.
I can deliver the board with RCA connectors unmounted to help with this sort of requests.

Nick, How's the expansion board going?

Hi Steve, unfortunately nothing new for the expansion board, still busy with soft and manual. I'll let you know when I have something.

Hi Nick, while working on the expansion board can you also take into consideration an alternative for us that don't need it, but instead want to connect external I2S devices?
What do you think to put in the pipeline a small PCB like the one in post #28 ?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/215379-dsp-xover-project-part-2-a-3.html

One for ep0 and one for ep1 with U.FL connectors for all the input and output I2S line.

That would be a good move : After testing the CS onboard DAC, I would like to connect 4 I2S Dacs http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/225960-ad1865-schematic.html, then IV ( zen cen sen if appropriate)

How about you guys designing that little PCB? ;)

mvaldes said:
One more question.
Is it possible to use pin#27 on ep1 (EXT_CLK - External master clock input) to have Nadja in sync with USB transport ?

This pin is currently not supported in firmware.

Hi Nick, Got the prototype up and running thanks, its a great piece of kit. I was looking at designing a purpose built power supply for Najda and misc boards (possibly the WaveIO provided you guys can solve the interface issue). I am looking at a hybrid supply of

+-12v 1.5 Amp linear
+5 2.5 Amp buck/switchmode

All to fit under a 1U cabinet height.

I have read in earlier posts that the 12v rails are regulated on board. Can you confirm this and perhaps provide component details so I can ensure the onboard regulators are sufficiently supplied and not overworking.

Thanks Peter.

Well....I can try, but my PCB design skill are very limited...not sure I can deal with ground plane and stuff like that...

As qusp wrote, we can probably help with this.
The starting point is always schematics, can you have this done?

When will it be?

I really can't tell, that's not in the priority list for now.
Current priorities are: Mixed FIR/IIR mode and 2-channel analogue expansion board. These are the most wanted features it seems.

Hi Nick, Got the prototype up and running thanks, its a great piece of kit. I was looking at designing a purpose built power supply for Najda and misc boards (possibly the WaveIO provided you guys can solve the interface issue). I am looking at a hybrid supply of

+-12v 1.5 Amp linear
+5 2.5 Amp buck/switchmode

All to fit under a 1U cabinet height.

I have read in earlier posts that the 12v rails are regulated on board. Can you confirm this and perhaps provide component details so I can ensure the onboard regulators are sufficiently supplied and not overworking.

Thanks Peter.

Hi Peter, great to hear you got the board, thanks for letting know.

The +/-12 rails actually aren't regulated, the +5V input isn't either.
The only chips the +/-12V rails power directly are the OP amps. The volume chip has regulated +/-8.5V rails and the ADC/DACs have a regulated +5V, all derived from the rails.

The +5V input is only used to power digital chips. +3.3V and +1.2V supplies, required to power some chips, are derived from the +5V input.

The I2S input issue is solved. I'm going to release a new soft later today or tomorrow (including also custom biquads). The manual should be here also this week.

I think I could help you guys out some, I already posted a basic idea for the u.fl adapter maybe even last year. do you just need an adapter, or do these i2s outputs really need buffering?

Thank you Qusp. I remember we talk already about U.FL adapter at the beginning of this thread. I've quoted your post #28 at top of this page.
As I know the I2S outputs doesn't need a buffer. I've tested with two BII and to me it seems fine. I don't know what can happen using the three I2S line available.
Nick can tell us

Hi Peter, great to hear you got the board, thanks for letting know.

The +/-12 rails actually aren't regulated, the +5V input isn't either.
The only chips the +/-12V rails power directly are the OP amps. The volume chip has regulated +/-8.5V rails and the ADC/DACs have a regulated +5V, all derived from the rails.

The +5V input is only used to power digital chips. +3.3V and +1.2V supplies, required to power some chips, are derived from the +5V input.

The I2S input issue is solved. I'm going to release a new soft later today or tomorrow (including also custom biquads). The manual should be here also this week.

Yep the board bench tested without any issues. I have yet to perform any audio measurements, that will come. I am serious about designing a purpose built power supply though; I still prefer linear over switched for opamp supply so its good to see analogue seperated out. I may need some additional info on the onboard regulation so I may pm you Nick. great to hear the I2S input issue is solved does this mean you have integration tested the waveIO with Najda ?