DSP Xover project (part 2)

If i disconnect the source for my USB receiver and use the analog input core 1 load is fine.

As soon as I connect something to the USB receiver core 1 begin to peak at 101%

When I begin to send music through the USB, core 1 stays at 101%.

So I guess the core 1 overload issue has something to do with the I2S input.

I observed the same effect, both with Amanero as well as with WaveIO Board! As soon as the boards are powered, DSP_Core 1 overloads. :confused:
Nick is going to check this effect with a WaveIO board

Sigi

I just finished the 3D drawings of the back panel and some parts implementation. Here are two renderings.

The published Najda suggested cut-outs appendix is validated beside the 201.6 which should be 197.1mm as already said.

Now I will have to design the relative pcbs...

Jean Claude

Attachments

• Najda_2 rev_1.jpg
    Najda_2 rev_1.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 616
  • Najda_3 rev_1.jpg
    Najda_3 rev_1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 595
:eek: With no inputs or outputs connected:

I am experiencing the same core 1 overloading when I connect a USB cable to a miniSTREAMER USB/I2S interface. The core 1 load continuously oscillates between 0% and 100% with no music playing. This occurs for every input source selection.

I have an additional curious situation with the USB/I2S interface connected. The output processing clip LED is illuminated but the software does not show the same status. ...and now with the interface removed from the system, the LED remains on and the software status remains off.

Maybe a grounding problem exists because I felt a good shock from my mounting panel when the interface was connected.

Nick, perhaps you should ask Najda owners not to connect anything to the expansion port until it has been evaluated.

Don

Modded Behringer vs Najda

Over here in multi-way horn-land, a pal of mine has compared a very heavily modded Behringer 2496 with Najda.

The 2496 was using digital input and bypassing the OP amp, taking feed straight from the dacs and using an analogue vol control on the outputs. This all sounded pretty fine...

I received this comment - First impressions were that yes, Najda's quite a bit better than the Behringer...

I know that my simple cap modded O/P 2496 is very poor compared to Najda. So poor I could not use it.

Note: We have no vested interest in WAF / Najda other than we want control of our horns.

For those recently joining this thread and are interested in horns; the system I use Najda on is described fully here
5 Way horn project - big boy system!
!

Great bit of DIY kit Nick:)

Last edited:
I just finished the 3D drawings of the back panel and some parts implementation. Here are two renderings.

The published Najda suggested cut-outs appendix is validated beside the 201.6 which should be 197.1mm as already said.

Now I will have to design the relative pcbs...

Jean Claude

Very cool stuff Jean-Claude, please post you front panel when you feel like ;)

:eek: With no inputs or outputs connected:

I am experiencing the same core 1 overloading when I connect a USB cable to a miniSTREAMER USB/I2S interface. The core 1 load continuously oscillates between 0% and 100% with no music playing. This occurs for every input source selection.

I have an additional curious situation with the USB/I2S interface connected. The output processing clip LED is illuminated but the software does not show the same status. ...and now with the interface removed from the system, the LED remains on and the software status remains off.

Maybe a grounding problem exists because I felt a good shock from my mounting panel when the interface was connected.

Nick, perhaps you should ask Najda owners not to connect anything to the expansion port until it has been evaluated.

Don

OK there seems to be an issue with the I2S input. Unfortunately I'm still overseas so I cannot debug this (Murphy's). I'll give it a go on Tuesday and I'll post a fix asap.

Regarding the shock that you got, this is not good. It cannot be caused by any connection on the expansion port however: the voltages and currents involved are to low for that. Can you post a pic of your setup?

Modded Behringer vs Najda

Over here in multi-way horn-land, a pal of mine has compared a very heavily modded Behringer 2496 with Najda.

The 2496 was using digital input and bypassing the OP amp, taking feed straight from the dacs and using an analogue vol control on the outputs. This all sounded pretty fine...

I received this comment - First impressions were that yes, Najda's quite a bit better than the Behringer...

I know that my simple cap modded O/P 2496 is very poor compared to Najda. So poor I could not use it.

Note: We have no vested interest in WAF / Najda other than we want control of our horns.

For those recently joining this thread and are interested in horns; the system I use Najda on is described fully here
5 Way horn project - big boy system!
!

Great bit of DIY kit Nick:)

Thanks Steve, I take this as a reminder to speed up the 2-ch expansion board development ;)

Another picture :)

dsp0005.jpg

Very nice Bengt! I must say I have no idea of how this is going to look like in the end, it's like a riddle ;) So are you going to lay this panel horizontally onto something?

Very nice Bengt! I must say I have no idea of how this is going to look like in the end, it's
like a riddle ;) So are you going to lay this panel horizontally onto something?

What you are looking at are the three assembled top plates. There will be a surrounding
walnut frame and all in/outputs will be on the left and right sides, Najda to the right. All
power inlets will be on the back. So yes, it will lay like this on/in something.
Like most tubeamps are built, sort of.

Ah yes that barsteward as was at Scalford show.

Would be easy peasy now with two setups and flick between with the remote using Najda;)

Perhaps I should explain the Strain gauge cart is not the barsteward, but the fact that one output is out of phase from it. Only way to correct this is to reverse polarity on one bank of speakers = swap 5 cables for my system. This we did many times on the day as we played Coco's Voyd / strain gauge cart TT and digital sources... As said, Najda solve this elegantly.

Nick,
I would vote for an 8-ch expansion board with DAC and volume that can take inputs from the I2S or SPDIF. This would give the ability to use the 7.1 output of something like the Oppo 93 + Vanity 93. The Najda used for the R & L main speakers with up to 5 ch each. Then the other 5.1 ch can go to the expansion board for DAC and volume control. One would add additional Najdas if more active multi-way speakers were wanted. The critical part is that all volume chips would need to be in sync.