TPA3116D2 Amp

58 x 23?

Challenge accepted.

Except for the 470uF it fits.

:)

Hi,

Have you evaluated this TPA3116 solution before ?
The TPA chip and inductors are heat when operating or under the high power output. Therefore, my design is keeping in use the big inductors and TH parts. Avoided and minimized the board temperature transfer direct to SMD chip caps affect the filter Coefficient.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Just finished the last draft of my updated 5x10cm design.

This board was designed with a main porpous, wich is the posibility of choosing diferent components at the inputs and in the LC and C-RC snubber filter, another
factor its to choose between the use of a filter or ferrite beads chips.

Nice board ! AFAIK the best till now. I hope YJ engineers will copy that one.

Last edited:
58 x 23?

Challenge accepted.

Except for the 470uF it fits.

Yeah. Not too difficult with with 58x23mm. Now imagine you used 3312 (or 3412) smd case size ferrite beads instead of inductor/capacitor output filter and optimized the components a bit more on the input side of the chip and you'd have room some (small) bulk caps as well. In principle these could be moved to the corners on the output side if they're too large to fit anywhere else but I'd try to avoid that and have them as close to the chip as possible.

Putting 50-470uf caps as close as possible is good. It's especially good for crunching room down and making it all small so you get real low inductance between input and output filters.

However none of these amplifiers sound worth a damn without significant capacitance behind them. Your ripple might be low, but your bass is going to suck without a LOT MORE power on tap. I don't suggest one large 15kuf cap, but rather using several 1000uf caps (I use 10x currently). It keeps the ESR/ESL low, and the bass high (and you can do it for $5 isntead of ludicrous amounts for fast big caps). Yeah the inductance isn't good, but the improved near-chip network of caps will help a lot.

It's a price worth paying. It's better to have them onboard, somewhere near the power in, so you can squeeze all the more critical small stuff in a tighter area. In fact even off board it's better to have them than not. I mean literally it's better to have them dangle on wires off the board than not at all. Without PSU capacitance class D is the flat and boring class (I know a guy using 20ah+ batteries to offset the issue, but no caps). Unfortunately it still lags a tiny bit behind class A, but I think we all know the little difference isn't so little on the electric bill.

The capacitors on the amp board are for decoupling. These should be as close to the chip as possible. The principal requirements are very high ripple current handling capacity and very low ESR. It should not be their role to be bulk caps to ensure that the power supply can supply the requested current, that is the role of the power supply. If you indiscriminately add capacitance after a switch mode psu you will remove it's capability to react to current changes, and so you need to add a lot more capacitance to make up for that. So large bulk capacitors on the amp board is definitely not a good idea, that is reserved for the power supply instead but that requires that you make a lay-out with as wide Vcc routings as possible.

Last edited:
Some suggestion below:
1) The SP+/SP- connections are before the filter. ??
2) Avoid any via connection under or on the inductor pad and Better SAME LAYER for SMD Inductor and TPA Chip connections.
3) Avoid any track under the inductor

IMPROVE.JPG

I think the two are related. The tighter you can squeeze it while not sacrificing component quality or best practice layout in the process the better the sound.

I agree with you. However, having conducting research for a living for over 30 years as a scientist. The theory has to be tested and the results analysed and gauged. In my line of work, we conduct experiments everyday changing different parameters hoping to improve the end results. Some change were made based on speculations. Some changes are made based on theory or new findings from other people. I can tell you that not all changes that are "suppose" to work deliver results.

For sure , best practice would do no harm. It is essential but may not be sufficient to achieve good results that we expect.

Regards,

The RC snubber is supposed to be as close to the output terminals as possible. It doesn't make a difference which side of the output terminals it's connected to.

Also it doesn't look like vias to me. More like not completelt finished routing.

They are vias...small sacrifice for quick fit.

Some rules are bent when making things compact.

IMO the bottom copper ground plane is also compromised by the two inductors on the bottom.

FWIW these inductors that I use are good for 3A loads, ( 24V 8R or 18V 6R ) so I do not use them for "high power".

They are vias...small sacrifice for quick fit.

Some rules are bent when making things compact.

IMO the bottom copper ground plane is also compromised by the two inductors on the bottom.

FWIW these inductors that I use are good for 3A loads, ( 24V 8R or 18V 6R ) so I do not use them for "high power".

Good to know.

I do strongly suggest a ferrite bead output filter though but naturally that requires speaker cables to be as short as possible. In 3312 (or 3412) size you can get those in as 10A rated with 4mOhm resistance.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think the via for the inductor allows placement of one set on one side and other side for second set.

The speaker terminals are on the left side of filter because right side is ground terminals of filter resistors and caps.

The circuit is probably identical to TI recommend one just topology wrapped on end and both sides for compactness.

I think that is how Dug laid it out - at least when I look at the circuit as drawn.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Not really in my opinion as it would imply a difference between the two. I see reduction of size as much as possible as a means to achieve even better sound quality, not a compromise.

Your reply reflects that size is more important to you than quality as there is no absolute correlation between size and quality. Larger boards with crucial parts close to the chip need not be worse than ultra compact boards with thin traces and the same distance between parts and chip.

Your reply reflects that size is more important to you than quality as there is no absolute correlation between size and quality.
Size is dependent upon the choice and availability of components in said design. The mechanics of the packaging also come into play.
In my design the components that take up to most area are the coupling caps, if you decide to use film PP types, inductors, heatsink for 3116.
See attached.

Attachments

• TPA311X-2_0-A0-10.pdf
    94 KB · Views: 233