Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank Julf

The different frequency range is exactly the problem I fear: I'd be concern to feed my compression driver with LF signal (with heavy EQ and much higher input level due to sensitivity difference...).
Well, I guess >50dB crosstalk rejection would be enough to just not worry about this...

Anyways, I am still facing the problem of the Y power supply cable, and the price quotes I got for a tailor made cable were high enough to make the dual SMPS solution appealing... (more versatile)

The only thing that still makes me prefer the mono SMPS solution is the lower idle power consumption and the fact that it seems more "correct" (ie enough).

But why oh why did not hypex include two outputs to their SMPS600... :/

The different frequency range is exactly the problem I fear: I'd be concern to feed my compression driver with LF signal (with heavy EQ and much higher input level due to sensitivity difference...).
Well, I guess >50dB crosstalk rejection would be enough to just not worry about this...

Right - it would take some serious amount of crosstalk for the LF signal to affect the HF driver.

But why oh why did not hypex include two outputs to their SMPS600... :/

I remember Bruno stating that that was the original intention, but it was forgotten at some point.

Anyone knows or tested if the nc400 is safe to connect directly to tweeter or compressiondriver without protecting capacitator? It is tempting to have a pure active setup, but my compressiondriver is very expensive.
Safe from the perspective turnon/turnoff thumps, not user error like sending a fullrange signal.

Anyone knows or tested if the nc400 is safe to connect directly to tweeter or compressiondriver without protecting capacitator? It is tempting to have a pure active setup, but my compressiondriver is very expensive.
Safe from the perspective turnon/turnoff thumps, not user error like sending a fullrange signal.

I can't answer specifically for the NC400 but for the NC1200 no problem at all

It is safe, yes, as the smps600 does a soft start, but you have to ensure your source/pre doesn't have any DC on the output, as the nc400 is DC coupled.

Heya guys ,

I think I will soon get my hands on a pair of NC400-s without a Hypex PSU so just wanted to ask ,being a semi-noob for building my own PSU ....how difficult is to build a linear PSU for these babies and should I bother because there is SMPS600 available on the market.
Worth doing or not and the cost?

Opted for these babies because of Linn Sara's I own that go to 2.6 ohms and are hard to drive even with monoblocks of 90% whats out there.

Second thing... has anyone tried these with tube preamp or just a DAC with tube output stage with a pot ?

Thanks 4 info and forgive my noobism :)
Cheers

I think I will soon get my hands on a pair of NC400-s without a Hypex PSU so just wanted to ask ,being a semi-noob for building my own PSU ....how difficult is to build a linear PSU for these babies and should I bother because there is SMPS600 available on the market.
Worth doing or not and the cost?

It is pretty easy to make a linear supply that works with the nc400 - for a suitably loose definition of "works". Will it be as good as a purpose-designed SMPS? No. Will it have the soft start and protection features of the hypex smps? No.

It all depends on what your criteria are.

Second thing... has anyone tried these with tube preamp or just a DAC with tube output stage with a pot ?

My first reaction would be "why combine a very efficient and linear power amp with a very inefficient and nonlinear source/preamp system?", but I guess it allows to control all the colouring in one place.

Is single ended input a problem?

I am interested to build some mono blocks and was thinking using NC400 (or AMS0100) but they are primarily designed for balanced input. I have only single ended(RCA) output and wonder if using these amps single ended is decreasing sound quality by increased noise. One option would be to use an input transformer to convert single ended to balanced like these ones: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/jt-11p-1.pdf

a lot

I am interested to build some mono blocks and was thinking using NC400 (or AMS0100) but they are primarily designed for balanced input. I have only single ended(RCA) output and wonder if using these amps single ended is decreasing sound quality by increased noise. One option would be to use an input transformer to convert single ended to balanced like these ones: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/jt-11p-1.pdf

a lot of folks will probably say it is crazy to use a transformer with added distortion, in front of such a low distortion amp module, but personally, I really like the idea for single ended to balanced conversion. I suspect that the HF filtering action of a transformer might even be advantageous with nCore (but this is speculation on my part).
Make sure you use a really good transformer though, the best Jensen or Lundahl.

read the hypex applications notes. If I remember correctly, you don't have to use a fully balanced source to get nearly all the benefits fully balanced offers, as long as you use single ended to balanced cables and the balanced input on the ncore.

Indeed. The nc400 works just as well with an unbalanced source as with a balanced source. The main point with a balanced, differential input is that it works on the voltage difference between the inverting and non-inverting input, and couldn't care less (or know) if one of them is connected to source ground or not.

Hi,

I'm building an active crossover system, with 4x SMPS600. I ran into a problem though; if they're started at the same time, they trip the circuit breaker of the house (10A or 16A). I use no separate soft-start, but I'd think that the built-in ones would start soft enough, which is obviously not the case.

I did a few trials, I can switch on 2x SMPS600 same time without issues, and for second /third time, I can start also the 4 together, I guess the caps are less empty in this case, which is confirmed by that after 10-15 minutes unpowered, trying to start 4 again will trip the breaker again. In summary, I cannot "cold-start" 4 power supplies at the same time.

All 4 ps are connected to mains via a relay which is switched by a microcontroller doing system control in general.

Using PS standby signal (starting up in standby) does not seem to help.

So my question:
- is this behavior normal/intended?
- could the soft-start speed be somehow adjusted on board, or should I rather split up mains lines and use 2 relays controlling only 2x boards?
- any other idea solving this issue?

Thanks,
igy137

Status
Not open for further replies.