Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next Steps

Great info, thank you. Yes I ordered the wiring as well as the cost appears worth it given the apparent high quality of it. When installing the NC400's into the chassis, do you guys put any thermal paste between the NC400 heatsink and the chassis?

Hi,
I decided to see just how hot the system would run. It runs at about hand-temperature so I decided that the white, sticky, gunk was not necessary. It can make an unpleasant mess if it squirts out when you bolt the amps down.
As you have the wiring kit the only connections you have to make are the thick speaker cable connections, the XLR connections and the ground connection. The first two sets of connections need a 25 watt iron. The ground connection needs a circular crimp fit (or solder) onto the stainless steel bolt supplied. This bolt is the only non-black item supplied. I used it together with some shake-proof washers and nuts to keep it all in place.
I run the the power amps and the other equipment from their own wall sockets. Each wall socket has its own remote control, so the whole lot is controlled by just one button on a remote.
I hope the above helps... the build takes about 2 hours to do ..start to finish, assuming that you have all the small items gathered together and ready to go.

Best regards

george

May I ask for more information on this? The wife would appreciate it. :D

Thanks in advance,

Troy
Sure,
basically I used remote controls over most of the house. The clever devices are controlled by a remote (battery powered) switch as well as via any computer in the house. The less clever are simply controlled by their own remote. So, I have lighting circuits on the first three buttons of each remote and then the last buttons are for specials.. house boiler, pump and Hi-Fi.
The simple remotes you can easily get from Amazon .. see for example Brennenstuhl Energy Efficient Remote Control Mains: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics. Note these are all UK specific.. you would need your own particular standard plugs (and operating frequencies).
The cleverer devices you can get (in Europe) from Home Easy the home of Home Automation . These devices can be controlled from their own switches or from your computer.. see Domoticz (free software.. you only need a transmitter / receiver for your computer ... also see http://www.rfxcom.com/en_GB).

So, you use a receiver on each of the power sockets that you need to switch. You then program the same button from each remote to each of the receivers. You end up with a set of remotes whose common button, say button 3 for example, controls the Hi Fi.
That should be pretty economical to deal with. Since the nCore has a built-in slow start, there are no thumps or bangs through the speakers.. just silence and then the little blue leds (if you used Ghent) appear.
There are some downsides.
1) These devices can be a little bulky
2) It can be that a nearby neighbour uses similar devices and there could be a conflict. For example I can turn on my neighbour's lights and if we do fall out, I can turn off his boiler too!

As an example of how far this can go, I am sitting in my office at one end of the house. I remotely turn on the system from my computer screen. The system starts up. After about 30 seconds it signals the NAS to start up .. this is the music server. I can now select music to be played on the system, as can anyone else in the house with a networked computer (there are about 5). The entire system can be turned off from any computer or from any of three remotes. The software automatically checks that all the systems are powered off by sending an Off signal to all devices at a programmed time.
By now you have probably guessed that I am a retired programmer :)

If you need more on this subject just ask

George

I just ordered a pair of NC400 and SMPS600.

These will be put in a single chassis for a 2 ch amplifier.

2609 Silver Full Aluminum Preamplifier Enclosure Amplifier Chassis Amp Box | eBay

Is there any post which shows how the 2 x NC400 modules should be wired to the common shared SMPS?

I understand the output from the SMPS should be split and sent to the two modules. But comments on how to do this optimally is much appreciated.

thanks.

Ghent Cases

Yeah those cases are good, but seriously overpriced.
I am looking for something cheaper

I am using a pair of Ghent cases for my nCores. They look extremely smart.. not only no visible bolt heads on the front but a well-cut rear with full text. The front panel has an adjustable blue led and the nCore logo.
For the first time, my wife says that my DIY efforts look "very professional". I guess you get what you pay for.

I am using a pair of Ghent cases for my nCores. They look extremely smart.. not only no visible bolt heads on the front but a well-cut rear with full text. The front panel has an adjustable blue led and the nCore logo.
For the first time, my wife says that my DIY efforts look "very professional". I guess you get what you pay for.

Agree with that. Good build quality is definitely something to target.
But i prefer to spend the expense on anything to help the SQ, just different strokes for different folks.

I dont plan to put it in anything hideous. But something spacious and of decent quality for airflow and cooling.

A solution?

Agree with that. Good build quality is definitely something to target.
But i prefer to spend the expense on anything to help the SQ, just different strokes for different folks.

I dont plan to put it in anything hideous. But something spacious and of decent quality for airflow and cooling.

An alternative, which worked for a while, was to purchase dead amplifiers purely for their chassis and cabinet. I would then embed the new electronics, sometimes using the existing internal power supplies and, whenever possible, the various switches and connectors. When is worked it worked very well. just a thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.