Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch! Do you have a lot of other stuff on the same mains circuit? No mains earth issues?

2 relays is of course a solution.

Circuit breakers are always a problem with heavy amps. There are different types in "speed", normally the fastest is used in domestic installations. I had Crown Delta Omega amps in my studio and in the end I replaced the circuit breaker to normal, ceramic fuse.

Circuit breakers are always a problem with heavy amps.

But more of an issue with linear supplies (and the required big caps). The soft start on the SMPS600 makes it a reasonably OK load.

There are different types in "speed", normally the fastest is used in domestic installations.
Indeed. Might be worthwhile looking at replacing the circuit breaker with a slower, industrial one (big electric motors are a much worse load than an amp).http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archiv...for-self-employed-with-tax-office-volkskrant/

I had Crown Delta Omega amps in my studio and in the end I replaced the circuit breaker to normal, ceramic fuse.
Yes, really big amps with linear power supplies - I bet your local electrical utility noticed when you turned them on. :)

Hi everybody,

Just a simple question:

is it better to leave the Ncores always ON ?
or it's better to put OFF (cut completely the main AC input) after each listening session.
If the second one is better, the Ncores need the warm up (how long time ?)

Thank in advance and have a nice day.

PS
I have not yet installed the Ampon switch (but anyway I suppose that even if one put Ncore in "mute mode" with the Ampon switch, if remains as to be ON (?)

is it better to leave the Ncores always ON ?
or it's better to put OFF (cut completely the main AC input) after each listening session.

"Better" is always a relative term. The lifetime of electronics is mostly dependent on temperature and running hours, so having them on only 2 hours per day makes them last 12 times as long compared to having them on 24h/day. There are also failure modes associated with turning on/off, but unless you keep turning them on and off many times a day, it won't be an issue.

If the second one is better, the Ncores need the warm up (how long time ?)

About 10s.

I have not yet installed the Ampon switch (but anyway I suppose that even if one put Ncore in "mute mode" with the Ampon switch, if remains as to be ON (?)

Yes and no. It does go into an idle mode, but a large part of the circuit is still powered up.

Thanks for all the answers, I went for doubling the relays, and powering up only 2 SMPS600 simultaneously, delaying the other two by 1 second. This seems to work perfectly.

I also checked the circuit breaker, and it's a fast 10A type, so it could be definitely improved, but I did not want to mess with it for the moment. I also tested the amp in another (relatively new) flat and there it was also tripping the breaker, so I guess it's better to split up the lines for a longer-term solution.

Thanks for all the answers, I went for doubling the relays, and powering up only 2 SMPS600 simultaneously, delaying the other two by 1 second. This seems to work perfectly.

I also checked the circuit breaker, and it's a fast 10A type, so it could be definitely improved, but I did not want to mess with it for the moment. I also tested the amp in another (relatively new) flat and there it was also tripping the breaker, so I guess it's better to split up the lines for a longer-term solution.

Well I had the same problem at my new house that the 16 amp circuit breaker tripped when switching on more than 3 smps600 simultaniously. As I was in the need for a quick solution at that time I bought a common of the shelf in-rush current limiter and this worked perfectly for my 5 smps600. This works so well that I did not yet bother to build a solution to automatically switch on the different smsps600 after each other.

I'm guessing these amps are so good that nobody has anything to say about them anymore? I've ordered a pair of NC400's and an SMPS1200 to go into a Ghent chassis, apparently the NC400 is out of stock until next calender week.

I'm aware I'm late to the party, but seems it'll be more than worth the wait. :)

Exactly ..they work exactly as said on the tin.
I finished mine a week ago and apart from my (temporary) miswiring of the balanced connectors, all worked perfectly.
I also used the excellent Ghent chassis. Just a point on this... it is worthwhile ordering their wiring accessory for the enclosure.. their wires are well made and with good connectors. Also, due to the length of wire provided by Hypex to connect the power supply to the amplifier, you need to rotate the amplifier 90 degrees anti-clockwise so that the connection path is shorter. Conveniently the Ghent chassis is already pre-drilled for this. This rotation also helps make the internal speaker connectors more manageable.
If you have any other questions just ask.

Good luck with the build

George

Exactly ..they work exactly as said on the tin.
I finished mine a week ago and apart from my (temporary) miswiring of the balanced connectors, all worked perfectly.
I also used the excellent Ghent chassis. Just a point on this... it is worthwhile ordering their wiring accessory for the enclosure.. their wires are well made and with good connectors. Also, due to the length of wire provided by Hypex to connect the power supply to the amplifier, you need to rotate the amplifier 90 degrees anti-clockwise so that the connection path is shorter. Conveniently the Ghent chassis is already pre-drilled for this. This rotation also helps make the internal speaker connectors more manageable.
If you have any other questions just ask.

Good luck with the build

George

Great info, thank you. Yes I ordered the wiring as well as the cost appears worth it given the apparent high quality of it. When installing the NC400's into the chassis, do you guys put any thermal paste between the NC400 heatsink and the chassis?

Status
Not open for further replies.