Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you.

email send :)
I will keep the thread informed as I think others might be interested in a "Y cable build service"...

IMG_4367-255x382.jpg

hires version: http://jamesromeyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/IMG_4367.jpg

Last edited:
Dual NC1200

Hi,
I had the opportunity to get my hand on a pair of NC1200 and here is what I did with them.
The cabinet is a modified (re inforced) Modushop Galaxy one with not much place left...
I tried to optimize the cabling and routing. Only a few centimeters for the power supplies and so on. AC filtered etc.
I designed a small module which control the auto power on, standby and mute functions.
Also, the overall consumption on idle is around 75W so cooling was a problem. I use a small step down converting module to bring the positive auxiliary voltage to 12V and found a PWM controller on internet to power the 2 Prolima 120 mm and 15 mm width fan. One fan is automatically adjusted with the temp sensor, the other one is manually adjusted with a small potentiometer.
Fan can't be heard at listening point and overall internal temp got down by at least 20°C. It run at 40-45°C with a room temp around 20°C.

For now, enjoying the sound on my three way active stereo system with active MFB sub :)

JC

Attachments

• Dual NC1200_0 low.jpg
    Dual NC1200_0 low.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 375
  • Dual NC1200_back low.jpg
    Dual NC1200_back low.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 361
  • Dual NC1200_4 low.jpg
    Dual NC1200_4 low.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 257
  • Active Fan cover_2 low.jpg
    Active Fan cover_2 low.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 249
Hopefully not with a T or pi filter...

I use the following SCHURTER KMF1 10 ampere version

Wow! Surprised it burns so much more idle power compared to a pair of nc400's.

As I was ! In standby mode it's really peanuts but on idle it exceed by far what I expect from the datasheet. Anyway that's the truth and I had to move from natural convection to Fan...
Of course, having 2 x 1200W/2 Ohms in such a small cabinet is not bad at all

I use the following SCHURTER KMF1 10 ampere version

I assume it is the standard version, not the medical (M5) version?

The standard version has a filter topology that connects safety ground/earth to the mains poles through capacitors, providing a path for noise - something Bruno has warned about.

As I was ! In standby mode it's really peanuts but on idle it exceed by far what I expect from the datasheet. Anyway that's the truth and I had to move from natural convection to Fan...
What power supplies are you using? Do the nc1200's have a similar facility for a gate drive supply as the nc400's (that really makes a big difference in idle power consumption)?

Of course, having 2 x 1200W/2 Ohms in such a small cabinet is not bad at all
Indeed!

I assume it is the standard version, not the medical (M5) version?
The standard version has a filter topology that connects safety ground/earth to the mains poles through capacitors, providing a path for noise - something Bruno has warned about.

Yes, it is the standard version and what I can tell you I have no noise or interference problems at all

What power supplies are you using? Do the nc1200's have a similar facility for a gate drive supply as the nc400's (that really makes a big difference in idle power consumption)?

Recommended Hypex SMPS 1200. I think that NC400 & NC1200 have a similar topology. It's easy to download NC1200 and SMPS1200 datasheet from Hypex site.

Yes, it is the standard version and what I can tell you I have no noise or interference problems at all

It is nevertheless something Bruno specifically warned against. Guess your case shows that we mostly obsess about stuff that doesn't really matter :)

Recommended Hypex SMPS 1200. I think that NC400 & NC1200 have a similar topology. It's easy to download NC1200 and SMPS1200 datasheet from Hypex site.
Problem is that the nc1200 is an OEM module with many options. By default it uses an on-board regulator for the buffer power (unlike the nc400), and dissipation is much higher than on an nc400, but there is an option to offload the regulation, nc400-style.

Problem is that the nc1200 is an OEM module with many options. By default it uses an on-board regulator for the buffer power (unlike the nc400), and dissipation is much higher than on an nc400, but there is an option to offload the regulation, nc400-style.

Yes, true but frankly I don't think that's the full explanation. NC1200 on board regulation don't dissipate that much. Also SMPS 1200 has more idle dissipation than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.