Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grounding

The shielding and grounding is there for a reason- different utilization may have different requirements, but the isolation is improved with grounding of shields etc.

My trannies have no pins for grounding the internal sheilds... And, I would ask, grounding the sheilds to what exactly: signal ground (which is power supply 0 VDC), AC ground, or just chassis, or all three... Hypex recommends sheilds to chassis, which does connect power supply 0VDC to chassis, and then floating the AC ground, of course, here at DIYaudio.com no one ever floats the AC ground as this is too dangerous...

BTW, just tried julf's suggestion, just transformer in-out +/- with no sheild/ground connections at all. Result=hum...

Juhleren: Mostly curiosity. I have a suspicion that the NC-400 is sensitive to RF on the input, so the transformer is one way of reducing that, plus, if I get a little more warmth/body to the sound (even if the cause is added distortion) that would not be a bad thing in my system. I know some folks have a disdain for adding a signal transformer, but I have heard plenty of transformer coupled high end components, and never felt their was a lack of resolution there (Rowland, PS Audio DS DAC, etc). Oh there is no DC, my source is cap coupled.

That was my feeling too. Once curiosity bites, there is no way around trying it out. Regarding the warmth and body to the sound, another approach is to consider going with a linear PS instead. I haven't tested it on ncore, but on UcD HG with HxR where I have tried both linear and Hypex SMPS, my conclusion is that they do sound different. Each have their strengths, but if body and warmth (and a tad more forgivingness/looseness/bounce) is what you want more of than what you get from your nc400/smps600 build, then linear might be more to your taste...

cheers,

My trannies have no pins for grounding the internal sheilds... And, I would ask, grounding the sheilds to what exactly: signal ground (which is power supply 0 VDC), AC ground, or just chassis, or all three... Hypex recommends sheilds to chassis, which does connect power supply 0VDC to chassis, and then floating the AC ground, of course, here at DIYaudio.com no one ever floats the AC ground as this is too dangerous...

BTW, just tried julf's suggestion, just transformer in-out +/- with no sheild/ground connections at all. Result=hum...

I'm responding to julf- on transformers that are equipped with grounded features, his comments don't apply.

Interesting. NC500 seems to bridge NC1200 with UcD400. UcD400 layout/print size which makes it a direct slot in replacement/upgrade for vendors who already invested their R&D in UcD400. It has NC1200 Voltage compatibility but NC400 Current capability. Makes a lot of sense for OEM since they can just stock SMPS1200A700 supplies using one per two NC500s in stereo builds (for customers with decently effective speakers) and use one smps per NC1200 in mono builds for customers who want (but probably won't actually 'need') the extra current capacity. Let's see whether it drives the commercial ncore prices down to a level where more can afford it :)

At one point there was some discussion about providing a Y PSU cable to power two nc400 modules with one SMPS600, as initially intended.
It looks like it fell short, and I am currently using only two of my four nc400 modules because of that. All my pitiful attempts at soldering the Y cables myself failed miserably (yes, I know, I am terrible...).
It also looks like even the normal cable cannot be purchased from the web shop, so there is limited room for failure... :/

So, could you recommend someone that could "build" these cables for me, for a fee?

Last edited:
That is what I did during my tests
domino-electrique.jpg

But I'd like to have a beefier/cleaner cable. That solution takes too much space in my enclosure.
I was also afraid of any problems the "spreading" of the power cable could bring (interferences?...).

I was also afraid of any problems the "spreading" of the power cable could bring (interferences?...).

That is really only an issue with the input and output cables. If you want to properly twist the power supply cables, you have a difficult decision - do you twist them pairwise + with earth and - with earth, or do you twist the + and - together, and run a straight earth, or do you try some 3-way twisting scheme?

Status
Not open for further replies.