Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Santa gave me strength to get off my lazy butt and give my Ncores a proper home. :p

It's been almost 3 years since I organized a group buy to get my hands on these enclosures, but better late than never I guess. :eek:

Internal layout is temporary, as these enclosures will, eventually, hold one more module each (to have a set of 2-channel amps, with one SMPS each), but I decided not to procrastinate any further and get on with it.
Got fed up with that DVD player cover I was using as a temporary "enclosure". :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_3359b.jpg
    IMG_3359b.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 637
  • Shaman’s _IMG_1628.JPG
    Shaman’s _IMG_1628.JPG
    558.1 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_3448b.jpg
    IMG_3448b.jpg
    648.4 KB · Views: 607
Thanks for the comments guys.

On my previous post (#7841) I have a link to the group buy thread.
This was a custom-sized enclosure that we decided upon (thus the need to buy more pieces), but the vendor typically stocks other sizes with the same looks.
There should still be the option to order custom ones, though you may have to reach a certain MOQ.

Back panels were sent to Schaeffer for milling.
I might send other parts of the enclosure too (side panels for vents, front to add some sort of indication), but I kinda like this minimalist look.

Last edited:
Hello all, I am rather new to this Forum and haven't done much with building or designing anything electronics for at least 30 years. I was wondering if it is OK to use a Linear Power Supply with the nCore 400"s and if so what would be the best voltage? I was considering using a parallel output toroid, something like 60-0 0-60 ; or maybe a bit higher voltage. Using a 1200-1500 VA Toroid and 2 full wave Bridge rectifiers and 500,000uF capacitence per nCore module. I will also use an inductor in series and a small cap in parallel. I was going to base it on the power supplies shown on KK-PCB web site that sells PASS Aleph PCB's. Do I also need a small Voltage output for anything with these? Thanks for you help and responses.
Brian Burke

I must post a quick apology. I am VERY new to this or any forum and now realize that I should have searched for a power supply thread which of course there is a very extensive on. I will set to reading as much as possible and learning from it what I can. I also apologize for my spelling/typing. I would still appreciate your input to my questions though. :)

New to DIYAudio here and looking to start work on a hypex project.

I use Avantgarde horns (109db sensitivity) with a Pass Labs XA30.8 this is a very good combination however my only annoyance is a slight hum/hiss from the Pass due to the extreme sensitivity of the speakers.

I also would prefer a more energy efficient, high quality, neutral sounding amplifier.

I also have 19 total channels I would like to amplify for my "Atmos-ready" home theater. With the Crown XLS amplifiers that I am using now, you can hear some hiss out of all of the surround channels while they are in idle. I am hoping to eliminate all that while also getting better overall fidelity.

I was considering the NAD M27 as a fairly cost effective way to buy ncore with the added benefit of 12v triggers and "standard" brand name resale value but I can't find any used units. They also are not rack mountable, so perhaps I would have to do some custom faceplate surrounds for rackmount decorative purposes.

Then I started thinking: what about going DIY?

This brings me to a few questions:

1. Can a stereo pair of ncore module/power supply counterpart fit in a 1u rackmount case? Or will it be 2u minimum width?

2. Has anyone devised a straightforward set of parts for 12v triggering for turning on the device along with a power-off manual switch in the back? Does anyone sell a hybrid 12v trigger relay with a power port/switch all-in-one?

has anyone else done a Rack mount hypex device that has a vendor they used for producing machined cases? 1u? 2u?

After a long search through this thread and Google, I couldn't find an answer to the following question, so sorry if this has been answered before.

Is there any inherent advantage of using 2 SMPS600s vs 1 SMPS1200 in a stereo NC400 build?

The following post was rather cryptic but seemed to indicate the SMPS1200 would be a poorer match for the NC400s than the SMPS600s

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...p-Build-thread&p=585892&viewfull=1#post585892

Thanks for any help you can provide!

When used with something else than the smps600, the nc400 modules will have to dissipate a little more heat, something like 4W more IIRC, that is double the power when idle.

It was my understanding that the "400" version of the smps1200 had the required aux power output for the nc400 buffer stage (thus avoiding the extra power dissipation). I might be wrong - I only have the smps600's, as I got my modules before the nc400-specific version of smps1200 was available.

I'd always go for the two separate power supplies to eliminate the possibility of crosstalk between channels via a single supply.
This would ensure you get the best stereo image.

How much crosstalk would there have to be for the stereo image to be audibly affected? Considering the capacity of the smps1200, you would have to play pretty loud for the supply voltage to show any significant drop - and that drop isn't reflected in the output until the nc400 becomes supply-voltage-limited (at close to full power).

The crux here is that a single SMPS600 is more expensive than a single SMPS1200A400....

The spec sheets show 63V rail for SMPS1200 vs 65V rail for SMPS600 (both unregulated), so for applications that aren't current starved, the SMPS600 will result in a bit more output from the amp (Hypex doesn't publish Vout from NC400 vs PSU voltage).

But the big question and you hit the nail on the head: The SMPS600 is 30Eu more expensive but the power rating of the SMPS600 specified "typical" = 1/2 SMPS1200 specified "minimum". SMPS1200 also lists 3x240W into 8 ohms, where SMPS600 is 1x240W.

It's hard to think they must be the same design and quality and the SMPS1200 gives you something (allot of something) for nothing?

Seeing so many accounts of builds with the SMPS1200, it' surprising this hasn't been addressed or assessed in public before. I think JonMarsh may have been on to something, pretty sure he wasn't just talking about the cabling.

I spoke with Hypex support, and they were very patient and responsive (until the tough questions came out :) ).

In a nutshell, the SMPS600 has a dedicated harness for it and the SMPS1200A400 requires modding (https://www.hypexshop.com/DetailServlet?detailID=3900) and results in 5W extra dissipation as mentioned. Response from Hypex included:
- "The SMPS600 has separate diodes in the bridge rectifier and has automatic mains voltage switching
- If the wiring and higher dissipation is not an issue for you than it is fine to use the SMPS1200 or even the SMPS400."

I just don't see one SMPS600 cutting the mustard unless you know you won't play compressed files loud into a speaker with impedance below ~ 6 ohms

One SMPS600 can deliver 575W for 90 seconds. To feed a pair of 4 ohm speakers, it would need 800W to not sag the voltage rails (clip early) into a resistor. A speaker also tends to be ~30% capacitive at its lowest impedance (about an octave above resonance) and would need even more power. I know music isn't a sign wave but so much of it is so compressed, I think there are real gains from using better than one SMPS600

The solution seems to be the SMPS1200; or two NC600s: quite a bit more expensive & hard to quantify the advantages of over the drawback of more idle consumption or rectifier quality with the 1200

Aside: there are what, 1000+ pages on the web about this amp and I couldn't find a single post about the performance difference with different supplies. The only choice you really have with this amp (beyond tweaky stuff and chassis) is which PSU to use. Crazy on-line world.

Aside: there are what, 1000+ pages on the web about this amp and I couldn't find a single post about the performance difference with different supplies. The only choice you really have with this amp (beyond tweaky stuff and chassis) is which PSU to use. Crazy on-line world.

Yes, seems much more interesting to discuss the effect of the interconnection wires or fuses on the sound... :)

I am running two nc400's from one smps600, well aware of the trade-offs. I don't think of my amps as 400W amps, I think of them as 200-300W amps with extra peak capacity, and that is just what I want - full power continuously would burn out my speakers anyway.

With one shared smps600, you get the same short-term peak capacity as with separate smps600's or a smps1200, as short-term peak capacity is determined by supply rail voltage and the power supply capacitance. You also get exactly the same sound quality at lower power. The only difference comes when playing music with an average power that is so loud that you are cutting into the power supply reserves and the power rails start to sag. I have been monitoring the supply rails on my amps, and it just doesn't happen with my normal listening despite my speakers being a pretty tough load.

Then again, I usually don't play heavy metal at 11. 9 is usually enough :)

Indeed strange.

I seem to remember the first NC400 demo units being fitted with linear PSUs - although searching just now, I can find no such images or articles referencing this, so perhaps my memory fails me.

But assuming I remember correctly for one moment, what would be the theoretical advantages of a linear PSU? Are there any advantages?

Status
Not open for further replies.