Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Furtheron, even though it is maybe possible to upgrade this or that to a degree I think most of the "recommendations" here are based on psychoacoustic phenomenas, as I see no measurements only subjective statements (which are ok, but are just that to me). There is also the point, that things can get worse with diy, especially when you are on some wrong track, like stating that you hear if 20KHz is 1dB louder, "has gotten better" or is "lacking in top end".
I think the Amp can sound different after modification, but why should it be better for someone else ('s System), except if there are objective comparable indicators that show it?

Regards, Micha

Why do people have trouble believing that diy mods that hundreds of people have done and say improve their amps actually improve their amps. All of the TK2050 amps basically copy the Tripath recommended circuity. So how can Sure sell it for $40 and Red Wine sell it for $2500? It has a lot to do with the quality of the parts that are used. Sure uses inexpensive parts. It's a testament to the quality of the Sure circuit board and the Tripath chips that it sounds as good as it does.

While it is not practical to replace every component, there are a few key parts that are directly in the signal path. These are easy to change and you upgrade them as far as your budget will reach. The input caps make the most difference and different caps produce different sound qualities. I like the liquid sound of PIO (paper in oil), others like the clarity and micro-detail of polypropylene film or foil.

Second in line are the output coils. You can improve the (already good) resolution with better coils, but be advised that Tripath has some specific recommendations about the specs the coils should meet.

The last big improvement can be found by improving the power supply caps. Better caps can give you a bit more depth and crispness in the bass.

Those three mods give you the most bang for your buck. You can make other changes, but the cost-effort/benefit ratio is less favorable.

These three mods are routinely made by hundreds of diyers on every type of Tripath amp. I've done them on T-Amp, Motorola DCP501, Arjen's 6 channel TA202 board and the Sure 2*100. Always good results. Arjen's MKIII TA2020 board comes with these mods already made and is getting very good reviews.

If you have to have objective proof of the improvements, lots of oscilloscope traces of before and after have been published. There have also been "professional" reviews of Tripath boards with various professional mods, that are basically the same three mods.

But the best way to find out if the mods work is to do it yourself. Get a couple of decent caps and replace the input caps. Burn them in for 20 hours and then see if you detect a difference. If so, you can try other mods. If not, you're only out ten bucks.

-dr_vega

Hi,

we don't need to discuss the parts selection in business, thats obvious. But, do you think you can single out "micro details" in a blind test, with a modded(modded for more linearity) and unmodded amp(assume it is somehow linear)? I have to say that I am generally not convinced by the statement that a lot of people hear this or that, a lot of people usually hear what they want to hear at home (thats fine), this is what is being shown in various blindtests and is very explainable by human behaviour. Again, I am not saying that you can't improve something, my posting was about upgrading from hearsay which in my experience has the tendency to end up in flowery talk about "massive changes" with is suspect to me.
I am asking for some evidence, whats wrong with that?

Regards, Micha

it just struck me, can i connect 2 x 8Ohm speakers in parallel per channel on this amp? On my "home" amp i wouldnt hesitate but these amps seem to fry if you look at them the wrong way, and also, theres the contradicting warnings:

Warning: Never connect more than one group of speakers to the audio output

Warning 4:
DO NOT use speakers that are rated at less than 3.2 ohm and do not have more than 2 speakers used in parallel.

Hi. I am about to order either 2 X 2 x 100W boards, or a 4 x 100w board. my question is, can I run two 100w boards from the same PSU? Or would it make sense to use a 4 x 100w board with a siongle PSU? which PSU would you recommend? (noise would be an issue for me, both mechanical (fan) and electrical noise. Many thanks.

Hi. I am about to order either 2 X 2 x 100W boards, or a 4 x 100w board. my question is, can I run two 100w boards from the same PSU? Or would it make sense to use a 4 x 100w board with a siongle PSU? which PSU would you recommend? (noise would be an issue for me, both mechanical (fan) and electrical noise. Many thanks.

2*100W is very versatile, eg mute, gain change, etc whereas 4*100W is less versatile ie fixed gain, more suitable to drive 4*sub-woofers. Take your pick. Go to Sure electronics website and you can download the manual for 2*100w it will provide you with more detail.

it just struck me, can i connect 2 x 8Ohm speakers in parallel per channel on this amp? On my "home" amp i wouldnt hesitate but these amps seem to fry if you look at them the wrong way, and also, theres the contradicting warnings:

The Sure 2*100 can deliver full power at 4 ohms without problems, with up to a 36v power supply. This is according to the Tripath docs. It is also the way I'm running mine (two amps at 34v, one at 36v) without any meltdowns.

However, the heatsink on the Sure is not adequate if you're running at high power, especially into low impedences. I have added a fan to mine. It seems clear that if you are running them hard, you need a bigger heatsink or a fan.

-dr_ vega

The Sure 2*100 can deliver full power at 4 ohms without problems, with up to a 36v power supply. This is according to the Tripath docs. It is also the way I'm running mine (two amps at 34v, one at 36v) without any meltdowns.

However, the heatsink on the Sure is not adequate if you're running at high power, especially into low impedences. I have added a fan to mine. It seems clear that if you are running them hard, you need a bigger heatsink or a fan.

-dr_ vega

I just looked at the Sure web site and it looks like they are including a fan with the amp board now. Maybe they have been listening to their customers? :)

Hi, I ordered the board today and have been reading this thread (interesting!) and was wondering what the best way is to power this board. Is using a switchmode power supply for a laptop as good or even better than using a toroid transformer?
i'm not an expert and did not experience by myself with laptop smps,
i can tell you what i read around about this argument..
you can try and SureTK will works, but it isn't an optimal solution,
you need a good smps (avoiding or limiting conducted or radiated RFI ) more output voltage (24-30Vcc) and more current (at least 3-4 A , better 6A or higher)
Something like Meanwell S-145-24 , directly from Sure... ;-)

Dayton foil caps are fantastic

Ordered my Sure 2x100 boards today. Will run a pair of them as mono blocs biamping my Usher two ways for comparisons using the +30V from linear supplies I built for my BPA200 3875 amps which are pretty good. Much better than a single 3886. I also have eight channels TDA7250 ( my favorite but lots more work ) and Ucd180 amps (overpriced for active speakers). Just wanted to write to subscribe to the great discussion of mods for these affordable amp modules. I can also vote +1 for the Dayton foil caps for signal coupling. They are so transparent that they make any other poly cap sound like a filter. Parallel 4 to get 2uf. Gets kind of big but are well worth the space. They come in sizes up to .47 and should be excellent in the output filter as well.
Of course Col is right. Tripath’s data is not carved in stone. These are all compromises to balance various factors. Tripath tells you what you need and gives you a solution that will work. It’s not the only solution possible. For example, when you read the Tripath info about the output filters on the spec sheets for different Tripath chips, they talk about the same problem, but even Tripath comes up with difference solutions on different datasheets.

The Tripath chips, like all switched amplifiers generate a lot of electrical switching noise, most of it above 100kHz. While this is well above the audible range, it can modulate with other frequencies to make audible distortion. Plus, it just isn’t good to send the noise along to speakers sucking up watts and heating your voice coils. So, Tripath recommends a second order filter at around 80kHz.

We’re lucky with Tripath because their switching frequency, while variable, is usually above 100kHz, which is higher than some of the other class D amps. The higher frequency means we can use a simple second order filter that is cheap and doesn’t harm the sound much.

On different datasheets Tripath recommends LC combinations of 10uH/.47uF and 15uH/.22uF. Sure, apparently, used 22uH/.47uH. These give the following filter points:

10uH/.47uF = 73,412.76 Hz
15uH/.22uF = 87,611.99 Hz
22uH/.47uF = 41,148.57 Hz

I replaced the Sure 22uH coils with 10uH, but I have not yet replaced the caps. That means I’m currently running with a filter point of:

10uH/.47uF = 73,412.76 Hz

This is one of Tripath's recommended combinations. But when I replace the caps, I’ll use .33uF instead, which gives me a filter point of:

10uH/.33uF = 87,611.99 Hz

That’s the same value I’d get if I had used 15uH/.22uF.

All of these combinations work just fine. Sure may have chosen a lower frequency to filter out a little more noise, at the risk of rolling off the top end of the audio spectrum a little – a very little, less than 2dB at 20kHz for 4 ohm speakers and effectively none for 8 ohm speakers. And remember, we're talking about the tweeter here. Even if your tweeter is 4 ohms, chances are your crossover has a resister on the tweeter bringing its effective impedance near 8 ohms, maybe more.

Since I’m using a 4 ohm tweeter without a crossover (I have an active crossover), I’m pushing my filters up a little higher. But only for the psychology of it, since I can’t hear anything above 16kHz anyway.

So Col’s right: don’t get crazy over the output filters. What Sure did works just fine. I didn’t replace my coils to move my filter point, I did it to get better quality coils. Upgrading the coils gave me a chance to play with the filter frequency, but that was a fun side effect, not the reason to do it.

-dr_vega

i'm not an expert and did not experience by myself with laptop smps,
i can tell you what i read around about this argument..
you can try and SureTK will works, but it isn't an optimal solution,
you need a good smps (avoiding or limiting conducted or radiated RFI ) more output voltage (24-30Vcc) and more current (at least 3-4 A , better 6A or higher)
Something like Meanwell S-145-24 , directly from Sure... ;-)

The Meanwells are undoubted a good and cost-effective solution.

I went a different route. I'm using smps bricks (like laptop power supplies), but mine are from HP and Kodak printers. I have an HP 32v 2.3 amp brick for each of my biamped mains and a Kodak 36v 3 amp brick for my subwoofer (dual voice coils). I'm very happy with the results and, being almost invisible, they have a better WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) than the Meanwells.

I glued tiny 12v open frame fans running at 5v directly onto the heat sinks. The heat sinks barely get warm to the touch and the fans are silent.

-dr_vega

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.