Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I spent too much time trying to figure out the lost of one channel when power caps were added. The frustration!!!
I could add just a single power cap at 6800uf/50V along with the MW 24v/6a and the voltage would be fine but ...again, only one channel working.
I am ready to call it "defected" and use it with all the "Audio1st mod" except the extra caps.

Howdy, been an avid follower of this thread for a while, finally registered to see everyone's image attachments...

I got my board from Sure today, ran it stock to power a pair of Infinity Primus P152s with my computer's Audigy 2 as a source... loud enough for my apartment at 10% volume... and sounds at least on par with the old Onkyo receiver I sold before I moved.

It seems that people in this thread recommend removing the TVSS underneath the inputs on the bottom of the board, is there any rationale for keeping them? I'm not sure if I'm going to swap out other components yet as I'm not exactly that discerning of a listener, but I'd like to at least swap out that poor excuse of a heatsink with a Zalman NB-47J or similar...

Hi,

I am using the board as is, and have no desire to change anything except the heatsink, as well as you. I think its fine and working as intended compared to my MyrevC and various Vintage and PA Amps.
Furtheron, even though it is maybe possible to upgrade this or that to a degree I think most of the "recommendations" here are based on psychoacoustic phenomenas, as I see no measurements only subjective statements (which are ok, but are just that to me). There is also the point, that things can get worse with diy, especially when you are on some wrong track, like stating that you hear if 20KHz is 1dB louder, "has gotten better" or is "lacking in top end".
I think the Amp can sound different after modification, but why should it be better for someone else ('s System), except if there are objective comparable indicators that show it?

Regards, Micha

Hey guys

I love this little amp.

Im running it with a laptop power supply and used it recently at a party and pounded the crap out of it for 5 hours straight. It took it in its stride running 6 ohm ported speakers from a laptop. It didnt miss a beat!!!

Love this thing, oh and its shoved in an M&M case. The amount of people that commented and asked me about it was insane, especially as teh night went on and everyone started getting drunker. I was known as the M&amp man all night.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Nisbeth and Cheric,

both of your issues can be solved with a soft start circuit that slowly fills your caps before the amp comes on.
The SMPS sees a short circuit when a large current flows to fill the caps and goes down in safe mode delivering only ~5V.
Attached you find a sketch of my poor man's version of a soft start circuit.
I use it with the exact Mean Well SMPS and the sure board and it works.
I have roughly 20mF near the amp.

May I know the specification of the relay? is ti a 24V relay?

May I know the specification of the relay? is ti a 24V relay?

yup
24V, 0.4W, 2 CO 8A
its a tyco RT424024

if you are considering the simple soft start contraption:
the series resistor that is in line when the relay is off must not be too large.
Otherwise the voltage drop over the board is too low and the relay does not fire. I use 47 Ohm. 68 Ohm works barely.

yay, i recieved the new version with the fan on yesterday, its the exact same height as the heatsink. Id be interested in knowing how much current the board uses from the LM317 regulator, it gets too hot to touch quickly just on idle. Id like to run an additional led from it...

konman: snug fit and beautiful enclosure! I also get a lot of discussions about this little amp at parties - social electronics :p

Just posted eleswhere about my review of this amp board and this thread was pointed out to me. Looks like I am coming in very late to the party!

I am loving this amp, fantastic sound if slightly overemphasized in the mid range when used with my mission 753s

I think I am going to go with a larger input cap to begin with, then see how I like the sound then. meanwhile I need to put an hour or so by to chew through this thread :xeye::xeye:

http://www.justblair.co.uk/sure-2x100w-tk2050-amplifier-first-impressions.html

I did not feel comfortable removing the HS, so I improvised and attached a fan from an AMD stock heatsink to the 5V power. Heatsink now stays nice and cool :p

Attachments

• suretk2050.jpg
    suretk2050.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 558
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.