Show me your guts!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bump

Excalibur x200.4, a not-so-new one i got for $10. One set of transistors were blown. They were pretty hard to find but i've managed to order them. 2SB778 & 2SD998.

Attachments

• excaliburx200.4.jpg
    excaliburx200.4.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 805
3 more amps I got the other day.....

Soundstream Class A 100 II:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Soundstream Reference 405 (5 channel):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Phoenix Gold MAC200 (Audiophile version of MS275?):

maxw said:
3 more amps I got the other day.....

Soundstream Reference 405 (5 channel):

i love that amp... i almost got the 705s when they had them at fry's electronics (outpost.com) were i live... but i had this silly little thing called rent to pay... life stinks...

what do you do with all of these amps anyway? if i may ask?

sid216 said:
i love that amp... i almost got the 705s when they had them at fry's electronics (outpost.com) were i live... but i had this silly little thing called rent to pay... life stinks...

what do you do with all of these amps anyway? if i may ask?

The 705 is very nice!
I buy and sell car audio equipment just out of interest and keep somethings for my self, or just play with new stuff then on sell it. I think I will sell the ref 405 soon as I prefer to have a separate amp for subs ;)

here is my new acquisition...

on the right top is 2 irfz44n nexfet power mosfets http://kitsrus.com/pdf/irfz44n.pdf (pdf)

on the bottem right and left is 1each 2sd778 pnp and 1 each 2sd998 npn

http://www.bg-electronics.de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=28

http://www.bg-electronics.de/catalo...ge=en&osCsid=9d5a74ed896883189d80603dd7241158

the top left i can not id, the writing on them is very poor. but i paid $40usd for it and sofar for it sounds pretty good... its no old school ppi but ehh.

i also figure it puts out about 50watts of alright power...

sr20dem0n said:
I recently opened up my other amp (others posted earlier in this thread), here are a few pics:

Interesting design works well I would think. The power devices are all T0220? I guess the heat sink in the center would isolate the amp from the power supply also. The extra torroid(s) confuse me(under the fan) the 2 upper ones part of the power supply.

The lower one/caps by the connections I guess is some part of a regulated supply?
smaller ones on yellow torroids are part of filtering I think.

Forgot to mention what amp it was, in case no one picked it up from the logo on the heatsink and the pictures' filenames, it's a Cadence ZRS-8.

I didn't have a chance to see what type of output transistors were being used. Those black clips were on there very tight and I didn't feel comfortable brute forcing them off just to see what transistors were sitting underneath. I'm not sure about the torroids, I don't have much experience in amplifier design so your guess is as good as (read: better than) mine. It does have a regulated power supply though, so you might be right.

Those are actually DC inductors which perform the function of filtering the HF content native to a switching type amplifier, namely the Class D.

Without those inductors, ~130V of 100kHz (pk-pk) hash would go into your woofers and throughout your speaker wires, causing havoc with yours and the neighborhood's radio reception.

The fan is an excellent addition - Cadence had problems with their inductors getting so hot that they unsoldered themselves from the board, initiating a shutdown.

EnvisionAudio said:
Those are actually DC inductors which perform the function of filtering the HF content native to a switching type amplifier, namely the Class D.

Without those inductors, ~130V of 100kHz (pk-pk) hash would go into your woofers and throughout your speaker wires, causing havoc with yours and the neighborhood's radio reception.

The fan is an excellent addition - Cadence had problems with their inductors getting so hot that they unsoldered themselves from the board, initiating a shutdown.

so there just in series with each supply rail and act like a lowpass crossover? Lot of wire but I dont know as much about this class D but makes sense. Just thought the voltage drop would be too signifigant (Re of coils ect) for it to be effective.

marko said:

hi maxw, what is differance between these 2 amps? i know the power differances but want to know more! i own several ms275's and ms2125's too!

Hey Marko,
I'm not really sure. The AC stands for "audiophile class" and in its specs it has lower distortion and high S/N ratio so I guess maybe it just has better matched components inside or something like higher tolerences. I dont have a regular MS275 to compare it to. I'm gonna sell it now anyway as I have a Digital Designs amp to drive my sub ;)

marko said:

hi maxw, what is differance between these 2 amps? i know the power differances but want to know more! i own several ms275's and ms2125's too!
If the s/n ratio is better and the distortion I would suspect the semiconductors used were of better quality the the standard ones. Like the op amps in the preamp. perhaps the power supply had better filtering/less noise.

Hi ! I'm french, so I hope you'll excuse my english :angel:

We purpose to me a Phoenix Gold MAC 200, so I don't know this amp and I like to know if it's a good amplifier to plug with a MB Quart PSD 213 component.
I'm looking for quality, both dynamic and clearness.

Is this a good amp for this use ?

Thanks a lot ;)

PS : I've mailed Phoenix Gold to know the difference between a MAC 200 and a MS, that's their answer :

"The amp is a great unit and will function well for almost any moderate power purpose. I do not have a manual for the amplifier that I can provide you but if you look a the dimensions of the unit and compare it to the same size “MS” chassis amp, it is the same unit with a different power supply. The power supply in the “MAC” is optimized for 8 ohms vs. the 4 ohm rating of the “MS” so the 4 ohm rating of the MS amplifiers would be the same for the MAC except at 8 ohms instead."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.