Show me your guts!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is my favorite PPI amp…

amp_board_2.JPG

top.JPG

does that ARC-AUDIO 2100CXL have any components mounted enderneath the circuit board (on the back side)? The design is very clean, almost barren. I can see all the required parts except for the emitter resistors (I'm assuming bipolar outputs, since there's some TP-220 devices, presumeably as drivers). I only see one resistor per channel. are the emitter resistors surface mount on the back of the board?

That's as far as I got in the "disassembly", so I'm not sure if there is more on the backside of the pcb. If it was sitting right here I would take it apart further and see, but it's installed in the car running my tweeters, so it's a bit of a hassle.

I do have a much larger version of the same picture if you'd like, not sure if that would help you at all though

I just find the lack of any large through-hole emitter resistors odd. Everything else looks like it's on the front of the circuit board though (and most car amps I've seen had everything on the front, save a few with predominantly through hole parts and single sided boards that had a few SMT resistors and caps on the bottom of the board).

Dr. Photon said:
does that ARC-AUDIO 2100CXL have any components mounted enderneath the circuit board (on the back side)? The design is very clean, almost barren. I can see all the required parts except for the emitter resistors (I'm assuming bipolar outputs, since there's some TP-220 devices, presumeably as drivers). I only see one resistor per channel. are the emitter resistors surface mount on the back of the board?

I'll have a check tomorrow (we're the UK distributors), but yes,they are bipolar .. some of Robert Zeff's finest - and boy do they have some grip :D

spots25 said:
ESX Q120.4

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

US Acousics 800F (Zed made)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

what does the second transformer do? I've seen 2 different transformers in several amps. I am guessing one for the preamp ect and one for the power amp or is the second one part of some filtering?

the second transformer has two coils wound on it to regulate the supply rails. the ends of each coil are between the outputs of the rectifiers and the filter caps. This is a called a choke input or choke regulated supply ("swinging choke" if you're using heavey ones with tube amps!). the two coils are wound on the same core so that transformer action can balance the supplys and make them "equal but opposite. The same technique is used in PC power supplies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.