DIY Turntable Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a noob here so I don't really know how to do a group buy, but all the info needed to build these is on-line via the links I posted or within this thread. If someone else can arrange to do the GB, that would be great.The BOM is posted on-line and I've attached a PDF of the same here.

There are also on-line instructions on how to build and test the PCB. One thing worth mentioning: The design uses a split power supply so the tabs on the TDA7293 output amps are at V- (-32VDC) so they need mica insulators to mount them to a heat sink. The input also needs to be AC coupled as the output amps are DC coupled into the xfmrs and will blow the chips if there is any DC offset on the input (one of the weak points in this design I think).

Attachments

• Bill of Materials USA-Newark.pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 148
I'm a noob here so I don't really know how to do a group buy, but all the info needed to build these is on-line via the links I posted or within this thread. If someone else can arrange to do the GB, that would be great.The BOM is posted on-line and I've attached a PDF of the same here.

There are also on-line instructions on how to build and test the PCB. One thing worth mentioning: The design uses a split power supply so the tabs on the TDA7293 output amps are at V- (-32VDC) so they need mica insulators to mount them to a heat sink. The input also needs to be AC coupled as the output amps are DC coupled into the xfmrs and will blow the chips if there is any DC offset on the input (one of the weak points in this design I think).

Pelosi,
The BOM you have is for the Lenco Heaven PS (by Nigel).
The Meldano supply is a dual low voltage supply and boards are available from Meldano, on this forum. It will not be suitable for a Lenco/Garrard etc. It is designed for low voltage Project/Rega motors.
I'm in the slow process of building both.
You may find someone with a spare Nigel desiged Lenco PS if you asked on the LH wanted thread.

Regards,
kffern

Last edited:
Kffern-

Actually, the controller on LH appears to be an STMicro design. Attached is page 14 of the TDA7293 data sheet. It is pin for pin and part for part identical to the amplifier schematic for this motor controller.

The rest of the design is a split voltage DC power supply and an XR2206 sinewave generator taken straight off the Exar data sheet.

Attachments

• TDA7293.jpg
    TDA7293.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 599
  • XR2206.jpg
    XR2206.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 592
Kffern-

Actually, the controller on LH appears to be an STMicro design. Attached is page 14 of the TDA7293 data sheet. It is pin for pin and part for part identical to the amplifier schematic for this motor controller.

The rest of the design is a split voltage DC power supply and an XR2206 sinewave generator taken straight off the Exar data sheet.

Pelosi,
Nigel never claimed to have reinvented the wheel with his board. It was a copy of a design someone (Sanders) had done many years before. He did it in his spare time due to the many requests on LH "noobs" as you call it.
He very kindly wrote up the BOM and instructions to make it idiot or "noob" proof and didn't make a cent from it. It's getting hard to get the XR2206 chips now.
At the time he started the project there wasn't anything in the diy market and hipsters hadn't started spinnning vinyl. If you go back to around 2006/7 you might see my suggestion of making it a diy kit.

kffern

Last edited:
I wasn't suggesting that Nigel didn't do something valuable. By producing the PCBs and making the BOM and instructions available to anyone who wanted to download them, he did a valuable service to the DIY community and should be commended for doing so. I'm only trying to further that cause since he no longer produces them.

However, others have tried to make the point that some how this PSU design enjoys intellectual property rights, which clearly is not the case. You cannot take a design published in the public domain by a chip manufacturer, copy it part for part then claim IP rights to it.

I wouldn't be so sure about Nigel not making any money from these PCBs even though it is touted as a DIY design. He charges £13 for the PCBs which is about USD$20.50. I got a quote to make the modified PCB as posted on LH for ~$9.50 in 50 pc qtys and $5.32 in 150 pc qtys. The quote was from a high quality production house here in the US. If I went to China, you can cut those prices by at least 50-75%. I'm not opposed to someone making money for their efforts, but to say someone isn't making a cent from them is disingenuous.

If this was done as a group buy, then the people would clearly receive the boards at cost without someone putting their thumb on the scale.

The nore.dk isn't as accurate or as well featured as Meldano's.

I've been asked to build one of Nigel's for a friend with a Garrrard, but its just not striking me as being the best option.

What other psus have people used with a 301?

Isn't the Garrard 301 an AC induction motor? I thought Meldano's board was designed for AC synch motors as it produces both phases. I guess you could use only one phase and boost the voltage up to mains level to drive the 301. Not sure what else is out there that could drive that high power of a motor?

The XR2206 is a very old IC.
I was using them in modems in 1980.
The problem isn't that it's old, it's that it's not made anymore. It's a neat device, but it didn't have the wide applicability and thus popularity of the 741 and 555, which were second-sourced by many other manufacturers and are still made. The XR2206 was apparently the only device of its type for all the years it was made - no one second-sourced it, and no one made a similar device.

What happened to XR-2206 Funct. Gen. IC and XR-2212 Precision PLL ??? - Page 1

Nowadays it makes more sense to program a microcontroller to generate a sine wave, and for synchronous turntable motors this has the advantage of being frequency locked to the microcontroller's quartz crystal clock oscillator, and frequency can be set using a software DDS.

Just a comment on that price discussion - 20$ for a PCB is peanuts, even if one cpuld source it cheaper from another PCB house.... the provider obviously used the source he did, at a given cost, add some packing, postage etc etc. moaning about a price difference of a handful of bucks is just silly bickering.. sorry.
And - I think the 2206 came around in the mid 70's.....

Just a comment on that price discussion - 20$ for a PCB is peanuts, even if one cpuld source it cheaper from another PCB house.... the provider obviously used the source he did, at a given cost, add some packing, postage etc etc. moaning about a price difference of a handful of bucks is just silly bickering.. sorry.
And - I think the 2206 came around in the mid 70's.....

Wow, that's quite a rationalization there. My point wasn't rather $20 was a good price or not, it was that selling something for $20 that cost you $5 is 75% gross profit margin and certainly flies in the face of the statement --doesn't make one cent-- doesn't it. $20 only covered the PCB, not postage or handling, that was extra.

I guess your moral compass doesn't work north of the artic circle?

Last edited:
The problem isn't that it's old, it's that it's not made anymore. It's a neat device, but it didn't have the wide applicability and thus popularity of the 741 and 555, which were second-sourced by many other manufacturers and are still made. The XR2206 was apparently the only device of its type for all the years it was made - no one second-sourced it, and no one made a similar device.

What happened to XR-2206 Funct. Gen. IC and XR-2212 Precision PLL ??? - Page 1

Nowadays it makes more sense to program a microcontroller to generate a sine wave, and for synchronous turntable motors this has the advantage of being frequency locked to the microcontroller's quartz crystal clock oscillator, and frequency can be set using a software DDS.

There is also the ICL8038 function generator IC, I don't know if it is available now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.