Happy B'day to me - MC Cart Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How do you know? Have you ever conducted the same experiment?

Do you have the original master tapes?!

Tape playback machines at disc cutting studio and at home should be of the same professional level.
Professional equipment is not a guarantee of quality..

I repeat.. MC cartridges are far better than MM.. It's clear to anyone who has a basic knowledge of electronics..

Last edited:
I have no master tapes but i find method of comparing turntable reproduction with the source-master tape ultimate..

I wonder how?!

Do you really think that you know the real reason why MC-s are better, if they are, than MM-s? Nobody know it for sure..

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]MC cartridge uses a similar motor system as the MM cartridge except that the magnet is fixed and the coils, which are fixed to the cantilever vibrate in response to the movement of the stylus tracking the record grooves. The coils have fewer numbers of turns than that of the moving magnet, and are thus lighter and have much lower impedance and inductance. These factors allow for a wider bandwidth and better retrieval of low level information. The MC phono cartridge is thus technically superior to the moving magnet..[/FONT]

A moving coil cartridge is sort of the opposite of a moving magnet cartridge. Instead of magnets, two small coils are connected to the end of stylus located in the body of the cartridge. The coils are smaller than magnets and weigh much less, giving the stylus more agility when navigating the constantly changing record grooves. In general, a moving coil cartridge traces the grooves better because of its lower mass and provides more detailed and accurate sound quality.

I told that to compare technology and material of say two advanced products with tiny magnets, cantilever and wire coils in humble cartridge.
Or 1000 Euros for shaped metal tube and small bearings which is our tonearm.

If you think it's too expensive, why don't you make a quality cartridge or arm..
This is a DIY forum, you will surely get all guidance and advice..

Many of the Audio Technica's have rising treble response which is apparent with a good phono stage. Personally I'd recommend a denon DL-304 which should still be available new and is more even across the frequency range. I'd also recommend you try and get a pair of Paradise PCB's from someone who doesn't want theirs any more to build a dedicated MC stage instead of using SUT's. I think you'd need very high quality iron to get the best out of your new cartridge and your MM stage also needs to be top notch. The paradise is quite an involved build but worth it. There is also the Salas stage if course which is very good and PCB's are available for that. Looking at LP Gear the Denon is $600 on there, you should be able to get it cheaper if you shop around.

For something left of field, I bought a Linn Karma with a broken cantilever off ebay for £20 (well, £40 for two of them) and have sent it off to Goldring to be rebuilt with new suspension, windings, cantilever and Ogura stylus for £270. Basically a new cartridge that was originally made by Supex! Yes I know it won't be the same as it was originally but they can rebuild most cartridges in this way, and Goldring used to do the rebuilds for Linn in this instance

A long time ago, a British journalist reviewed PT turntable with SME V tonearm and Shure Ultra 500 MM cartridge which he got from manufacturer together with LP and master tape of which record was cut.
He compared sound of gramophone combination to master tape and found it very, very close.
Then he replaced Ultra 500 with Koetsu Black MC cartridge.Suddenly, sound lost master tape like clarity and bass tightness. Manufacturers comment was that they hated inaccurate MC cartridges.
We often forget that every source component have a firm reference-master tape or digital medium used in discs manufacturing. The closer the better.
I am using at the moment Benz Micro Gold MC, with my Borbely designed high end DIY phono stage which is really noise and hum free. It is a first rate MC cartridge with good stereo and low surface noise. At the same time I sometimes use Shure VST-V MM which have a slightly better, firmer bass and more natural dynamics. I would say that Benz has more attractive sound than Shure but perhaps less neutral to imagined master tape. Perhaps we all love pleasant MC coloration, similar to valve eq. fanatics.
All in all , analogue components are shamelessly expensive taking in account technology and material used in manufacturing. For the price of entry level Benz Gold, you may buy two decent laser printers.

From what I've read the Black is about as coloured as MC cartridges get, and people love their midrange. I'm not entirely surprised the Shure was deemed to be close to the master tape, they are supposed to be very good when properly loaded and one of the best MM's ever. I personally believe MC's are ultimately better but there is some overlap and not all MC's are better than all MM's. It is much more difficult to make a high-end MC stage than an MM due to the signal levels involved and that can also make the MM vs MC bake-off. In this case the Koetsu could have been used with some budget SUT's and incorrectly loaded

Vulejov, articles you have quoted are full of well known mantras like low moving mass, small coils etc. Only indicator of low total moving mass is effective stylus tip mass specification. For Shure VST-V it is 0.19 mg. Majority of MC-s, even the most expensive have about 0.5mg. What about high tracking force of MC-s? It pumps much vibrational energy into vinyl.
If you find prices of turntable components realistic, good for you. But compare the price and amount of technology involved in your say mobile phone and phono cartridge. I have three cartridges at the moment: Benz Micro Gold, Benz Micro Ace SM(I have not tried it yet) and Shure VST-V . I bought them for educational reasons. I have an outstanding Mission 774 original tonearm , better than many expensive today tonearms.
I do not know your age , but I made myself Well Tempered Arm clone in 1986 , in pre-Internet era when you probably still played hide and seek wearing short pants.

I agree that many AT carts MM or MC are voiced brightly. The AT33 series and the ART series are not bright like the OC and F series though. They are neutral.

I had an OC7 which was very bright. The AT33 ML I used on my Paradise recently still had a definite treble lift compared to the four other cartridges I took recordings of. I linked to the recordings I took in the Paradise builders thread.

I think the AT's are well suited to low-medium quality MC phono stages as the treble lift helps bring out more detail. It depends on what kind of sound the user is after really.

I agree that many AT carts MM or MC are voiced brightly. The AT33 series and the ART series are not bright like the OC and F series though. They are neutral.

There is nothing wrong with bright sound..
The problem arises, which is often the case, when the amplification can not deal with it.. most rapidly increases distortion after 1kHz, then brightness begins to disturb..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.