Happy B'day to me - MC Cart Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Both. The cartridge is intrinsically balanced, so if you replace the cables with two conductor-plus-shield, then use a balanced-input phono stage with a high common-mode rejection, you can get superb real-world noise performance.

One of my favorite demos is turning up my volume control, then touching one of the cartridge pins- everyone instinctively flinches, then relaxes and laughs when they hear no horribly loud buzz/hum. Try that with the conventional single ended setup! :D

Both. The cartridge is intrinsically balanced, so if you replace the cables with two conductor-plus-shield, then use a balanced-input phono stage with a high common-mode rejection, you can get superb real-world noise performance.

:D

Did you build the phono amp yourself or you have a reccomendation for ready made amp.. or any other option.
also, would you consider an integated chip as optimal component for a good phono amp, or its better to use discrets for best sound?

Yes. My MC preamp is in the Articles section of diyAudio. My MM preamp is in Vol 7 and 8 of Linear Audio. There may be commercial balanced input preamps out there, but if so, they're rare and likely hideously expensive. If you use a moving coil step-up transformer, then (assuming it has good CMR) the conversion to balanced input is really easy.

You can likely do an excellent IC-based balanced phono stage for a reasonable cost and effort- I'd probably look at chips like the THAT1512 or SSM2019.

Yes. My MC preamp is in the Articles section of diyAudio. My MM preamp is in Vol 7 and 8 of Linear Audio. There may be commercial balanced input preamps out there, but if so, they're rare and likely hideously expensive. If you use a moving coil step-up transformer, then (assuming it has good CMR) the conversion to balanced input is really easy.

You can likely do an excellent IC-based balanced phono stage for a reasonable cost and effort- I'd probably look at chips like the THAT1512 or SSM2019.

Thank you very much.
I will read your article at Linear Audio.. is it a chip design?
Those chips you recomended are very similar to the BB INA103P which i already have a few samples of, would you consider it in that list too?

My stuff is discrete, tube-FET hybrid. Expensive and a pain-in-the-tuchus to build.

I'll check the specs for the '103. What kind of cartridge are you using?

I see..

I have a few old Shure carts, V15-Vmr, 95ED, and some old Low out MCoils, Koetsu black, Sumiko Talisman S.. All these carts have not been used for over 25 years, but i intend to rebuild the turntable and put it back to be used again.

A few microamps? No, that's nothing even vaguely unhealthy.

I might be a bit wary of noise current for higher impedance (e.g, MM) cartridges, though.

To quote Ben Duncan , a British audio expert: ,,Very small direct current(2microampers) will offset the magnetic material BH curve from its linear region and we can expect an increase in distortion and related maladies, particularly when tracking high level passages,,.
Always is better to avoid any risk.

Think carefully about how a cartridge is constructed. I think that either you're taking Duncan out of context or that he's all wet here.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 93
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.