Happy B'day to me - MC Cart Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've survived another year more or less intact, and was thinking of gifting myself with a good MOR moving coil cartridge. I've been leaning toward getting an AT33PTGII based on comments here and elsewhere - the price isn't too ruinous. Are there any suggestions for an MC cart at a similar price point (~$500)?
Also, I have a choice of stepup transformers to initially use with said cartridge, as I've been semi-obsessively collecting iron of various sorts for a while now. I currently have a pair of Beyer microphone transformers, a pair of McGahan MC-2s, and a pair of Jensen JT-115Ks. Which would you use?

I have many options for the rest of the cartridge signal train, and I may consider building a booster later on with some of the BF862s or 2SK170s I have on hand.

I've been leaning toward getting an AT33PTGII based on comments here and elsewhere - the price isn't too ruinous. Are there any suggestions for an MC cart at a similar price point (~$500)?

Nope, unless you want/like the elliptical stylus of the AT33EV. I'm using a low hours original PTG, and have worn out the stylus of another, which with be going to the SoundSmith fairly soon.

Also, I have a choice of stepup transformers to initially use with said cartridge, as I've been semi-obsessively collecting iron of various sorts for a while now. I currently have a pair of Beyer microphone transformers, a pair of McGahan MC-2s, and a pair of Jensen JT-115Ks. Which would you use?

Try them all and pick your favorite. I'm using a Hag. Piccolo with my MC's.

jeff

Joined 2011
I've survived another year more or less intact, and was thinking of gifting myself with a good MOR moving coil cartridge. I've been leaning toward getting an AT33PTGII based on comments here and elsewhere - the price isn't too ruinous. Are there any suggestions for an MC cart at a similar price point (~$500)?

I have many options for the rest of the cartridge signal train, and I may consider building a booster later on with some of the BF862s or 2SK170s I have on hand.

Have you ever had a Denon DL 103 - it has a conical stylus. Very reasonable price too.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What sort of arm are you putting this cartridge on?

Given the right arm I strongly suspect the AT33PTGII would be a great choice. (This is on my list too)

The DL103 is a good cartridge, particularly if rehoused. I can't help but feel that there are better cartridges out there for just a little more money. (I've had several and if going for one of these you can't go too wrong with the ZU Denon DL-103, but as I said..)

One of the reasons for making this purchase is to force a confrontation with a reasonable low output MC. Right now I have a Kenwood KD-2055 (maybe reserved for MM at some point), a Denon DP1100 (currently in system with a Grado Gold), a Kenwood 500 or two (one with Infiniity Black Widow, one with no arm), and a Denon DP-62L with the straight low-mass arm.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm now very biased in favor of LOMC, I own several Ortofon SPUs, an early Shure M75E , and a Benz Ebony H HOMC. The SPUs are in a league of their own. I've owned DL-103 and DL-103D. The 103 I liked best was the SA which is now unobtainium.

I use Lundahl LL1941 amorphous core SUTs with my SPUs, and recommend them for use with low dcr LOMC. (under 10 ohms)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.