My DIY WTL Tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's very neat work.Lovely shine on the brass and the acrylic.
Jay I haven't bought any yet but the local fishing shop has various threads which I think are used for attatching the hooks to the fishing line proper.I've made a start and have four arms and golf balls assembled but not glued yet.Gonna try both alluminium and carbon fibre in 9" and 10.5" lengths.Do you know where to obtain setting up measurements for the 10.5" arm?

Re: setting up measurements
There is a post on this forum by Conrad Hoffman with a link to his protractor. This will tell you everything you need to know and is the best tool I have used for setting up an arm. I found my stash of fishing line for string suspended arms. The card it is wound on is marked "Super Line 60 lb test" Good luck.
BillG

Cool!

I started thinking about drilling the hole in the golf ball.

I made a hole in some MDF to sit it in first. then using an extended drill bit made the hole.

Attachments

• photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    480.8 KB · Views: 641
Once that was done I used that paper measurement used previously to locate the center of the cross section of tubing.

marked it.

Then placed it flat down into the jig. Using the calipers I screwed down the screws until each side was level. then drill the second hole.

Sorry photo is very dodgy, trying to hold it up to get a shot.

If there is an easier way to do this let e know

That arrow shaft in the picture will be my set up one, used to cut holes in my good balls.

The arrows of choice are Eastern Arrows 1214 Superlite, they are about 5mm in diameter

Attachments

• photo 4 (8).JPG
    photo 4 (8).JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 629
Last edited:
Great link Bill, very useful.

Now Im a bit caught up with setting up a newly arrived Old BLUE Tin Can, by the name of 'Decca London Blue'

DO CARRY ON enzedone: this is very helpful, I recently did much the same on how to repair a broken Cantilever.

I will be doing the same thing with my Ball very soon as I now have a perfect cart for this arm.

Using pins is a Very good way to get accurate Marks/measurements.

If when I come to do mine & i find an alternative way then i will post a pic of it up as well,
Lets just say that a picture post & brief explination is way better than a long diatribe.

James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.