My DIY WTL Tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone

Nice work on this set up.
I have be contemplating this arm for a while, but what has stopped me is the method of drilling a hole so close to the edge of the ball. I would really love to know how it was done, as this seems to be the sticking point for in this project.
I was even thinking about making up a wood jig to house it in while drilling?

Any suggestions.......

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I just used my Bosch drill press with the golf ball sitting in the central hole in the base and the drill offset the appropriate amount.The ball was hand held in place.I started at 4mm and used a wood bit with the sharp point and worked up to the final 7.5mm.The bits easily clog up with melted rubber so need cleaning regularly.
A wooden jig certainly would make it easier.

Last edited:
Damn it you guys, now I have something else that I've gotta try! :)

I need to research a little more but very quickly, is there a reason for the golf ball or could say a squash (racquet) ball be used? I'm thinking 1. Nice and spongy so added dampening 2. easier to drill and 3. Easy to adjust the length

I've got both plus the other bits apart from the fluid and the bowl and I can experiment on these. Any thoughts?

I always thought that squash balls were hollow?
Ordered this silicon to try Core RC Silicone Oil - 10,000 cSt - 60ml CR222
Tesco's or Wilko's stock S/Steel toothbrush holders/mugs.I bought the one from Wilkos but think the Tesco one looks neater ie straight sides as against shaped.They are only 3 quid so I might try both and see which is the most aesthetically pleasing;)

They are but sill have the shape and are reasonably dense.

The toof brush holders are a win win. Which ever one you use will still leave the other one to give to the wife/girlfriend as a chrissie pressie :) and who says we don't think of our other halves when we are doing our DIYing.

Has anyone used the cheap plastic practice ones? Fill them with a silica based paving sand or sterilised fish tank sand?
Easy to drill, and easy to attach arm to the top while experimenting with filler?
It would help if you didn't have a good drill as this would negate the need to try and put a shaft through the top. Then you could use a small heated rod to melt the cross holes for the string?

Last edited:
Golf Balls and other spherical objects

You don't need to drill-see pictures of my design earlier in the thread. Also -forget anything but a golf ball for this design-it needs the weight and the density to work-remember- the golf ball is suspended in the fluid-it doesn't float.

You don't need to drill-see pictures of my design earlier in the thread. Also -forget anything but a golf ball for this design-it needs the weight and the density to work-remember- the golf ball is suspended in the fluid-it doesn't float.

Chris does it work better if the ball is denser? Presumably the heavier the ball the thicker the fluid would have to be? I'm thinking of the doorknob counterweight from my second version of my unipivot

IMG_0926_zps44a9d231.jpg

I'm not trying to reinvent just possibly change the look.

Hi
Try the doorknob by all means but I remember reading somewhere the Bill F's design depended on the dimples on the golf ball which effectively increased the surface area of the sphere. Apparently someone had tried mouse balls (!) which didn't really work. If you look at the commercial WTL design, the latest has made an attempt to disguise the golf ball by putting some sort of a cover over it. I've been using my design arm now for a few weeks-and find it superb. In any case, the golf ball if sprayed black as mine is, is certainly a talking point and visitors have a good laugh until I play a record!
Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.