My DIY WTL Tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
WTA Ball side fixing positions

Ok hear is a drawing of the Ball,
The Arm tube is fairly obvious & can go anywhere in the general area of where its drawn.

Now the main thing hear is the position of the side Ball fixings (in relation to the arm tube) for the Strings either side of the Ball, hear marked as 9 & 3.

I have read that they do NOT go at these points i.e. 9 & 3, but a bit lower or a bit higher or a bit forward of these points ????
Cant recall where I saw it.

If anyone can clarify this please do so Using the drawing.

Please use 9 & 3 points as a Reference, in Side, Plan & Front views.

regards Jay

Attachments

• IMG_0053_2.jpg
    IMG_0053_2.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 687
My arm tube is rather thin at 5mm, so I think 18in is out of the question. So might try 15in.

What about dampening the tubing from pivot point back instead the whole arm?

Some where else mentioned chalk

Checked my holes and they are not at 9,3 so here's hoping.

I will put my entry holes for the cable to the side to stop them dragging down too low near the record surface.

Last edited:
15" a bit ambitiose try a 12" first you can always extend later, when it sorted
I'm going to be useing a fine volcanic ash from Eaya ( compleatly un pronounceable Icelandic volcano) it's a smooth silky sand like material.
Try it from the back first that would also cut down on the overall counterweight.

It's getting cold hear now temps dropping to below 2 or 3 degrees & +50 mph winds. Winter is on it's way.
I'm off work with an injured hand so can't do very much to the arm.
Might try to drill string fixing cross hole in Ball.
I really only have to find suitable cup, & then start to fabricate it.

But at least most if not all of the theoretical problems have been resolved now.

Yours should start to come together quite quickly now.
What cartridge will you be using

lol…. yes I had thought of doing this whole Bulls……t bit about the Silky Smoothness of the Ash, giving the Arm a Truly sublime Refined Quality bla bla………

Still Ive got two holes in the Ball now.
And two tubes through it.

I don't think it matters how far OUT the string is from the ball but aesthetically IMO it looks better close to the ball.

I haven't attempted to smooth off the inside top edges of the small tube. I most likely will, so it will reduce the opportunity for ware on the string at this point. It will also be glued in some manner, as will the string.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 600
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.