DIY Schroeder Tonearm???

Frank,
Thank you for the information. Very kind of you to oversee our efforts!

WF,
Way to go! Thanks for the pictures and the updates. Please keep us posted on your build and how it sounds. BTW, what Cartridge are you using?

My stuff is still sitting in a paper bag.......:eek:

Ron

Will do...

Either a benz L2 or a zyx bloom - haven't decided whether to set it up on the lenco or the teres yet....

Fran

LOL,
I just read a post of yours (today) on a different thread and was going to ask you if you are going to put this arm on your L75? LOL.

I too am looking for an El-Cheapo rebuildable, tweakable turntable that's better than my old Pioneer PL-12DII. It works but...............

Ron

I did the wiring loom for the arm today. I'm using some incredibly fine transformer wire - the original wire is about 30 or 40 of each strand together. Anyway, its what I used on my air-bearing arm and to my ears it was better than silver in teflon or cardas stuff. Its very fine, so working it is a pain, both for keeping it together (hard to even see it LOL) and for working it. A little tug and it breaks. But in 2 years of use on the air bearing arm, there hasn't been 1 problem - and it certainly won't interfere with the arm movement.

Anyway some pics included below. Next up is the counterweight which is weighing in at 165g.

Fran

Attachments

• IMG_7302.jpg
    IMG_7302.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 878
  • IMG_7301.jpg
    IMG_7301.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 886
hi Fran i see its really coming together now. and i know from my own work it can become quite exciting as you've done it all yourself. your carts sound quite exotic and expensive for a poor engineer like me but who knows in the future. i cant wait to hear about how they sound good luck.

Bravo Fran!
What gauge wire is that? Very fine indeed and looks to be a PITA to work with.
Please continue posting pictures, they are inspiring!
Thanks for the heads-up to Lenco lovers forum, lots of information there. It appears that Lencos are very high quality TT. I have lots of reading to do....:)

Ron

Wow, thanks guys!

Renron: not sure of the gauge, but its very light, must be at least in the mid 30s gauge wise. So fine that a slight tug will break it, kinda like a long hair from a feisty redhead :)

Anyway, moving swiftly along!! Counterweight pics:

Attachments

• IMG_7304.jpg
    IMG_7304.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 889
  • IMG_7305.jpg
    IMG_7305.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 878
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, I like the sandblasted finish. good thinkin'

Coming along very nicely, I dare say I'm jealous of your progress. How much of your build was done at a machine shop? or do you have a metal lathe yourself?

That Redhead thing made me shudder...........Bbbrrrrrrhhhhb. (But then your from Ireland and most likely RH yourself!) LOL I'm 1/3 Irish.

Ron

Wow, thanks for all the comments!

Renron; sandblasting = no sanding and polishing on bits that I can't hold in the chuck and spin!! Not redhead, black (well I like to call it black, hats left of it)

Jeffrey: thanks - you keeping this thread alive made me go for it.

I got her finished, cleaned and wired tonight. I'll be taking a few pics tomorrow night all going well.

Fran

The Denon DL110 and 160 are fine performers in general at low cost. Haven't tried them with this arm though. They are a bit brighter sound, maybe more detailed than the 103, more resolution. Not quite as musical maybe, but its a all a swings and roundabouts game anyway.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, I did my final assembly last night and took some pics this evening. More p*rn for you lads!

Fran

Attachments

• IMG_7337.jpg
    IMG_7337.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_7339.jpg
    IMG_7339.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 967
  • IMG_7342.jpg
    IMG_7342.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 970
Hi seanb, i use a 103 in my 12inch version, and a DL110 in the 10inch, but sound excellent, even when compared to more exotic fare.

FWIW, i find the 103 to have a bigger more solid sound with more body, and perhaps more dynamic on rim shots and such. Either way, both very enjoyable.

Nice work Fran!!.

Hi All,

Well I got the arm mounted up today but theres something funny going on. It aligned up AOK, and then next out was my test record. It performed pretty poorly - mistracking heavily on the easiest bands. I went back and checked the alignment again, but still the same. I'm using a feickert gauge.

But I noticed something. When the arm was mistracking, I could feel a lot of vibration on the top plate of the column mount - ie the bit that the string hangs out of. 6mm alu plate vibrating like billy-o!!

So obviously I've done something assways here. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Fran

Hi All,

Well I got the arm mounted up today but theres something funny going on. It aligned up AOK, and then next out was my test record. It performed pretty poorly - mistracking heavily on the easiest bands. I went back and checked the alignment again, but still the same. I'm using a feickert gauge.

But I noticed something. When the arm was mistracking, I could feel a lot of vibration on the top plate of the column mount - ie the bit that the string hangs out of. 6mm alu plate vibrating like billy-o!!

So obviously I've done something assways here. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Fran

Hi Fran, I just completed a long reply but wasn't logged in so when I tried to post it, it went away. Your problem is an interesting one. I don't have any insight to the mis-tracking problem but maybe the vibrations. What sort of vibrations? Mechanical, or related to needle talk? How is your arm assembly mounted to the plinth? I will describe what I encountered and what I did about it in hopes it will give you some ideas and perhaps a solution.

In experimenting with a cartridge isolator to reduce a sound pretty near like good old speaker to mike feedback oscillation. I had the needle resting on a non-rotating record and the gain up and discovered that tapping on the arm wand or the gallows assembly or the plinth at various locations and maybe some others too, I could induce some rather loud resonant sounds. The isolator was already in place and helping to tame things, but not enough. My arm has a 5/8" hardened stainless rod going up through the bottom plate and well into the main post. This rod goes through the plinth and into a solid flange where it is locked at the desired VTA by a stout grub screw. All of this was not enough to drain this energy. Since there is about 1.5 inches between the plinth and the bottom plate I packed a wad of plasticine (modeling clay) around and touching the mounting rod, the bottom plate and the top surface of the plinth. That has virtually killed all the vibrations that were audible before. The solid mechanical structure is still in place. The music has not been dulled down at all. The overall quality of playback has really improved taking what was a good sounding arm up to a much higher level. I'd have to say great sounding. Now all that remains to do is to turn a decorative donut to cover the not too attractive wad of clay.

Good luck, and keep us informed,

BillG